Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Greek Islands lens choices

Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Greek Islands lens choices

Greetings, my wife and I are going on an OAT boat trip from Istanbul to Athens through the Greek Islands. I'll be taking my 5D2 + 24-105 as a baseline. Normally I take a 100-400 to try to photograph any critters that might be around, but I'm not sure I'll have much opportunity. Ditto on a macro.

So would I be better off with a 70-200 f4 and/or 17-40. Will the f2 of a 35f2 be needed? I'm not planning on buying anything new so you can see my choices in my profile. I'd sure appreciate suggestions from fellow photogs who have been in the area before. Thanks in advance.

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Greek Islands lens choices

I think you'd be better off with a 17-40.

I went to Greece in May of 2010. I bought a 24-105 right before the trip. I took my 7D, 24-105, 85/1.8, and a flash.

I did not touch the 85 or the flash, but constantly found myself wishing I would have bought something wider. Whether it is the beautiful landscapes or visiting ruins, I found 24 not to be wide enough.

Of course, I was shooting with a crop camera, not full frame, but I'd imagine that you'd still want something wider

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Greek Islands lens choices

Jeff_Stapleton wrote:
I think you'd be better off with a 17-40.
... but I'd imagine that you'd still want something wider

Thanks, I was thinking that this sounded like a 17-40 kind of trip.

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:02 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Greek Islands lens choices

Coming from Greece, I think a wide angle will be more useful . Therefore take the 17-40 and 70-200. Usually there is plenty of bright light so f4 lenses should work well. Unless you want to do bokeh shots I don't think you need the 35mm f2. Which islands are you visiting?

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Greek Islands lens choices

Istanbul, Ephesus, Kusadasi Turkey; Patmos, Amorgos, Santorini, Naxos, Delos, Mykonos, Syros, Piraeus, Delphi, Athens. Usually no more than half a day at each place. This is our first time to the area. If we really like some areas we'll make a dedicated trip again some time. We're thinking of adding a day or two on our own in either Istanbul or Athens. Suggestions there would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Greek Islands lens choices

You will have a blast! This is almost the exact trip that I went on. Is any of it going to be on a tour boat?

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Anoop Shah
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Greek Islands lens choices

+1 to the 17-40.

My wife and I went to Athens, Mykonos, Santorini & Crete in 2009. I took a 5D with a 24-105. I wish I had the wider 17-40 with me instead. I also wish I took something longer so I could shoot from further away and eliminate some of the distractions. My two choices from your gear list would be the 17-40 and 70-200 but if you were to only take one lens I would recommend the 17-40.

I also took a flash because I knew I'd want to take pictures of my wife while the sun was setting behind her and I knew I'd want the fill light. I think you'll do ok without taking the 35 f/2. And if you're somewhere gorgeous but it's too dark for f/4 then hold your wife's hand and enjoy the view together.

My wife forced me to not carry my camera around for two days of the 10 day trip and those are the two days I remember the most. Funny how that works.

-Anoop

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Greek Islands lens choices

Thanks, so I'm leaning towards 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4. That'll be ~6.5 lbs camera gear to carry on. I'm used to lugging the 100-400 so this will be light. I'll probably also take my G10, so another pound. My wife is used to me and my cameras but I try to not let it get too much in the way of actually seeing.

Jeff_Stapleton wrote:
Is any of it going to be on a tour boat?

Yes, from Turkey to Greece proper we'll be on a 50 passenger "small ship".

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:29 PM
tbartick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Greek Islands lens choices

Hi Jeff...my husband and I did a med cruise just last fall! I took my 5DII, 24-105, and 16-35II...I found I used my 16-35 off ship, a lot more than the 24-105 lens by far.....Have a great trip! Take as wide as you can!!

Terry

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:37 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Greek Islands lens choices

Thanks Terry, a fellow San Diegan! Definitely the 17-40 in addition to the 24-105, the IS will be needed aboard ship.

Would a small tripod or a walking stick/monopod be better?

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tbartick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Greek Islands lens choices

Jeff...I did take a tripod for onboard sunsets! Never took on shore with me? Long, fast days they were. My camera gear was a lot as it was.

Also...I used a flash for fill a lot! I bought the 270 ex before out trip. It really never came off the camera, and is light in weight.

Our next trip I will get a point and shoot upper end type camera for aboard shots....I was tired and often did not bring my camera because of its size. My mom had her point and shoot...at the end of the day I was able to see what I missed not having one at dinners, evening out, etc....

this simple point and shoot gave me a shot I like, and would not have had for our trip memories!!!

not great...yet I love looking at it....so take a small nice point n shoot!! Hope that helps...

Feb 13, 2012 at 08:02 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Greek Islands lens choices

Thanks again Terrry. I'll bring my G10 with me, we go mid-April so maybe it will be a G1X by then . I also rely on my wife to use here P&S to fill in with people shots - I tend to focus on sunsets.

Have to think about the tripod/walking stick trade offs. We'll be in groups so not much patience for tripods. Thats why I love the IS on my 24-105.

Nice family snap shot. Those are just as important as scenery shots. Cheers.

Feb 13, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Greek Islands lens choices

Wide is good in Greece. I had a crop body and a 17-50 while I lived there and wish I had owned my 10-22. 17mm, especially on the 5D2, is plenty, though. I had a 70-300 with me and I used it on maybe 400 shots over the course of 4 months.

Feb 13, 2012 at 08:55 PM
tbartick
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Greek Islands lens choices

You will love the sunset photos!....I gave up a lot of spa time for those sunsets....Here is a fun one leaving Athen's.

I found the 24-105 to be fine on most Day tours...However, 2.8 was a little more needed when I was inside, and flash was not allowed. And the days out I found were too long to attempt bringing a tripod along. Could be just me though. Enjoy..terry

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Orestis.Ch
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Greek Islands lens choices

I had the 24-105 and sold it to buy the 17-40. Here in Greece and esp to the Aegean i would consider a wide angle lens as the better choice. I hope you'll have a good time here

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:03 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Greek Islands lens choices

tbartick wrote:
You will love the sunset photos!....

A beautiful sunset, a cold beer, and my camera - ask me why I travel

Orestis.Ch wrote:
I hope you'll have a good time here

I'm sure we will, thank you. This has been on our wish list for a long time.

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:46 AM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Greek Islands lens choices

My thoughts are 17-40, 70-200 and the 35mm f/2 as well. You'll use the 17-40 the most, I would think. Wide is where it's at when your exploring a new place.

I think you might find the 35mm f/2 useful, especially indoors. It doesn't weight much, so you will hardly notice carrying it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 02:21 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Greek Islands lens choices

So I'm still thinking 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4. The wide everyone agrees on. The long, I'm thinking of the lintels of the Parthenon (which may not even be on the itinerary). I won't leave the 24-105. I'll think about the 35f2 but is it worth its modest weight for the speed gain without IS? I'll have to see what the [bp]ack can bear. Happy choices, thanks.

Actually this will be a good test of the 17-40. I've been looking at the announced 24 f2.8 IS as a light travel wide to supplement the 24-105 which is weakest at 24. The 24 and 35f2 together weigh about as much as the 17-40. I don't often use wider than 24 so this trip will give me the chance to see if the 17-40's wide gets its due.

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Greek Islands lens choices

I go to a Greek Island every year but have never done the Boat cruise route.
My 5D MKII is my standard lens and my 100-400 (when I had one last year) was always in my bag due to the fact it was always a bird trip for me as well. the 17-40 will be your friend for the beautiful shores and cliff faces on the islands (especially from a boat) and the 24-105 should cover the walk abouts in town. Not sure if you have gone yet but I just picked up a 14mm Samyang 1.8 which I think will be me some killer shots on my next trip! Good luck and enjoy the food and wine!
People portraits are very interesting as well

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:30 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Greek Islands lens choices

Nice cruise! You will have a blast. I terms of recommendations I think any good tourist book will do. Other than that use your creativity. When in Athens watch out your camera bag while walking around. The city is not dangerous but don't find yourself walking around in the dark with it showing too much just in case. The island should be very safe.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password