New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Alyssa

alaskalive
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alyssa

Not planned shoot.. just a couple of photos I snapped off when we saw a Moose out in our neighbor's yard. I ran out to take a photo of the moose.. and she came out to watch..
Not looking for cc.. as these were not setup.. just snapped off.

Feb 12, 2012 at 03:52 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alyssa

Cute little lass. She has beautiful eyes.

I won't give cc as you have specifically said you don't want it, but I will offer a suggestion to up the exposure ;-)

Feb 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alyssa

Where's the moose?

DaveOls

Feb 12, 2012 at 08:36 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alyssa

greetings, if you arent looking for CC, what are you looking for? what should we say? i also dont understand when you say that these were 'just snapped off'. i'm commenting because i see you posting a lot, which means you really like shooting and i'd be happy to help.

Feb 12, 2012 at 08:58 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alyssa

^^^ That. Exactly that.

Feb 12, 2012 at 09:30 AM
alaskalive
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alyssa

canerino wrote:
greetings, if you arent looking for CC, what are you looking for? what should we say? i also dont understand when you say that these were 'just snapped off'. i'm commenting because i see you posting a lot, which means you really like shooting and i'd be happy to help.

Well,
I know when a person looks at a picture many things can go through their mind.
They can be critical of the expertise of the composition or techniques of the work.
They can look at it and immediately decide if the photo is enjoyable or repulsive.
They can look at the photo and try to explain to the composer what they could have done to make the photo better when they took the photo.. or what they could do better to make the photo better now that the photo has been produced.

Sometimes, people post photos purely and simply because they think the photo has some sort of merit.. some sort of ability for a person to possibly enjoy looking at it...
Sometimes a person could post a photo not expecting anyone to help teach that person how to do better.. but simply to hang that photo on the wall of the forum for any passer's by to simply peruse.. and possibly enjoy the view.

When I personally post a photo and ask for help in how to do better, or that it is a given that I want help unless specified.. then I would greatly appreciate the insight and expertise of fellow photographers who have the time and desire to expend their energy on examining the process that was involved in the production of a photo or group of photos....

I know it takes a lot of work for a person to sit at their computer and critique' a photo explaining how a person could do much better...

That is why sometimes I post a photo and I say, I am not looking for insight on how to do better on this particular photo... I am simply sharing the photo with all who pass in the night.

The photo of Alyssa is photos that I did not use any planning to compose or capture.. just simply turned around and clicked my shutter release...after focusing!

So, getting feedback on technique for photos whereby no technique was employed.. is basically to me, a fruitless venture. I would not ask anyone to expend brain waves on explaining what the photo was lacking or needing to do it better the next time because no skills were employed to create the composition in the first place.

Now, to the matter of PP.

Yes, when I post a photo such as this that I took not care in creating.. but simply snapped off a photo.. then anything I post I would GREATLY appreciate all attempts at pp.. because taking another person's photo and editing it is creating ART.

I love art! Not saying I love all art.. but I love art in general...
So, anything I ever post.. ALL go ahead and post your edits.. your artistic views on what could be done with what I present... You never need my permission.. the same with comments and critiques' I love all ... I love it all!

All of that said, to say this..

Out of respect, I do not want you all who come here and take the time to help teach me to fix what I am doing wrong on my photo captures.. to expend your talents on photos that I quite simply did not use all the skills I am learning here to create.

If you spend 20 minutes examining and typing what was done wrong on a photo that I used NO skills to create.. then I have wasted your time!

Any ways.. In my rush to capture photos of the moose... I was trying to shoot in manual mode.. OMG.. there is an open door if I ever saw one!

Feb 12, 2012 at 01:00 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alyssa

Alaska,

You can see how long and how often I post here

<----------

I've seen a lot of photographers here ranging from GREAT to good to bad to terrible. Everyone has different motivations for posting. I dont understand the idea of posting a shot which you took "NO skills to create". If you didnt take the time/skill to produce something, why do you think we would enjoy it when this thread sits next to others containing compelling images where care was taken?

I get the sense that you are newer to photography and seem to have a great passion for it. As time passes, you will see that you do not need any time to set up a great shot. It'll start to come second nature.

You asked specifically about PP. As mentioned, this is pretty underexposed.

I took a minute to process it based on what you posted. I would have started with a better exposure adjustment in RAW as well as a warmer tones.

With that said, here is my edit based on what you posted. First I did a levels adjustment by sliding the highlight slider in for a more balanced histogram. Next, I did some curves to bring some blacks into the flat exposure. I then increased the saturation a bit. Finally, I did some dodging and burning. You can see how to do that at the end of the tutorial I wrote here: http://thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-seeing-in-black-and-white.html

http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/16/753216/1/141466407.DI7v3Qim.2012testFINAL.jpg

One other piece of advice. While I appreciate fine portraiture, I much prefer to document my children's lives. I love to include context in my images to tell a more complete story. I mention this because you say that she was looking at a moose. It might have been cool to incorporate her into the scene somehow. This idea lead to the creation of a blog that I cowrite (well, we havent kept up with it much lately). But there is some good information on this approach. This post explains this approach: http://thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com/2010/01/launching-family-photojournalist_04.html

Good luck!

Feb 12, 2012 at 01:33 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alyssa

What Chuck did with your picture is exactly what I'm talking about, and what I suggested in your post yesterday, Blue. Even if you didn't use your skills in taking this picture, you can still make it pop with a little post-processing effort.

When you post a picture as you did, and you specifically say you didn't put much effort into it and you don't want any c&c, I don't really understand why the pic was posted. If you put a lot of effort into taking the picture, and then you processed it exactly as you wanted it, and you were proud of what you achieved, then I can understand why you would want to share it with us and not care about c&c. That's a big difference.

Anyway, kudos to Chuck for taking the time to show you how to give your picture some pop.

Ron

Feb 12, 2012 at 01:52 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alyssa

i dont particularly like your edit, but editing is purely personal opinion. so if you like it, that is all that counts. the reason why it does not appeal to me is because it is very muddy. i much prefer my black and whites to have a wide range of tones from pure white to pure black. your conversion only consists of shades of gray.

Feb 12, 2012 at 02:02 PM
steffan1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alyssa

I love your last edit in b/w- alaskalive.

Feb 12, 2012 at 04:46 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alyssa

Yeah, I think Chuck and I simply don't share your vision for post-production, but like he already said, it's a personal decision on how to edit. I'm really just curious, though, since you didn't say anything, but did you notice the difference with Chuck's editing of the color image? I take it that didn't appeal to you?

I don't think I'm being helpful, so I'm going to gracefully bow out now...

But I am curious of your opinion on Chuck's editing.

Ron

Feb 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alyssa

Chuck,
It was kind of you to provide a point of comparison. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.

Feb 12, 2012 at 06:45 PM
alaskalive
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alyssa

friscoron wrote:
Yeah, I think Chuck and I simply don't share your vision for post-production, but like he already said, it's a personal decision on how to edit. I'm really just curious, though, since you didn't say anything, but did you notice the difference with Chuck's editing of the color image? I take it that didn't appeal to you?

I don't think I'm being helpful, so I'm going to gracefully bow out now...

But I am curious of your opinion on Chuck's editing.

Ron

Well first off.. I say we who leave our thoughts here in this forum about what others post should be honest and no-one should feel like they need to be guarded in what they say..
Not meaning anyone should be crude or rude.. but there is a huge difference between crude, rude and concise and to the point.

Having said that, I must also say some thing else before I answer your question.

I totally value everything anyone has to say as I hate my tunnel vision. I hate thinking in MY BOX.
I want to learn from others and how to think in new and diverse ways.
That cannot be accomplished if one closes their mind to all other ways of thinking.Right?

So, having said that.

I can see where some would like the edit.. but as for myself.. I must say, I like what I did with the photo.. as it was. I do not think the edit even comes close to the original in that it is all blown out.
That is in no way a comment or thought meant to dissuade anyone from posting their edits.

I long to see anything from other's perspectives!

I am new to edits. The most edits I ever did before this year was to sharpen, crop or add a little saturation.. prior to this year, I only sought to frame and capture the final product as shot.

Now, I find I have been exploring the wonders of PP.

Feb 12, 2012 at 06:48 PM
alaskalive
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alyssa

canerino wrote:
Alaska,

You can see how long and how often I post here

<----------

I've seen a lot of photographers here ranging from GREAT to good to bad to terrible. Everyone has different motivations for posting. I dont understand the idea of posting a shot which you took "NO skills to create". If you didnt take the time/skill to produce something, why do you think we would enjoy it when this thread sits next to others containing compelling images where care was taken?

I get the sense that you are newer to photography and seem to have a great passion for it. As
...Show more

For my taste.. I can see where your edit brings out the white and the colors greatly... more contrast.. but to me one in between min and yours seems to be the key. ?

Feb 12, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alyssa

Count me as another viewer who has seen your recent posts and feels like you have some opportunity for improvement regarding your post-processing and lighting. Apparently you are trying to make a business out of this - at least part time - and I think that is why some of us are trying to help. Here are some additional thoughts:

- Seeing your recent posts, I can't help but suspect that you are using a monitor that is not properly calibrated or perhaps set too bright. If you are trying to do client work, you should be using a decent monitor that has been calibrated with a decent calibration system. If using an LCD, the brightness readout from your calibration software should be about 120 cd/m2 - possibly less if you are doing prints and want a decent match to the print.

- I suggest not depending on your eye 100%, even if you ARE using a good, calibrated monitor. I find using both my eyes and the histogram and RGB read-outs together works pretty well as a check-and-balance. Compare the histogram of your version of your daughter's pic against what Chuck did. You will see that your version's histogram is shifted significantly to the left, lacking the top 15% of the highlight values. You can also check an RGB read-out of the white in her shirt and see that it is very cool (high "B" value).

Now as you suggest, you don't ALWAYS have to max-out the dynamic range, perfectly white-balance the image, and boost the saturation. I think the reason that some of us have been harping on this in your case though, is because we see an on-going tendency of your images to lack contrast, be somewhat underexposed, and to be on the cool side color-wise. It really seems to have the signs of an error in viewing or processing rather than a stylistic preference.

Feb 12, 2012 at 08:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alyssa

I agree with Eyeball. The following link is not a substitute for a good calibration system, but the tests should at least help you figure out if you have a problem. I can't help but believe your monitor settings are pretty far off.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

There have been a number of very talented and experienced photographers here who have tried patiently to help you. They have been very diplomatic in their responses. Chuck has indicated he's ready to continue to help. I suggest you take advantage of their expertise. Frankly, I'm getting mixed signals. On the one hand you say you want us to be direct and tell you straight. OTOH, you now have started to post flawed photos where you say you don't want C&C. I'm sure Chuck thought very hard before responding, but he just couldn't let it go without comment.

As pointed out, in this instance it's not a stylistic preference, it's a technical problem. If Chuck's correction looks wrong, too contrasty and/or washed out, you really have a calibration issue.

Feb 13, 2012 at 08:52 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alyssa

I really like the black and white with the soft edges. It makes it look like an old photo.

DaveOls

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.