Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon's new direction

smithcottage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon's new direction

I have posted some thoughts on Nikons strategy regarding the D8000 and it's place in the line.
Henrysmithscottage. wordpress.com

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:58 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon's new direction

D8000 or d800?

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:06 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon's new direction

Camera Wars are like the Radar Detector Wars. Each manufacturer will continue to try and out-do the other. All we can do is sit on the sidelines are wait for the plays.

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:13 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon's new direction

Nikon's new direction is the total war on DSLR video.

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:22 AM
Dennis H.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon's new direction

Nikonís direction is fantastic

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:22 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon's new direction

Bad business man or not Doctor Smith, your blog sold me a D7k (thankyou) and I have your site bookmarked.

Keep your words of wisdom rolling. Sparse they may be, I enjoy them and I can recommend Henry Smith's Cottage to all who carry cameras for the joy of photography

Tim

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

niXer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon's new direction

I think Nikon's direction is the same as always, photography at it's core and giving it's photographers what it wents, even if it takes a LONG TIME.

I mean the D3X will probably be discontinued and with the flooding in Thailand I am sure there will be some sort of replacement for the D700's core user base, it's announcement has just been delayed. We'll see what the D400 brings or who knows there might be a D710 on the horizon!

Really if you think about it the D800 going after medium-format people should give "stills only" photographers a sigh of relief. Yes they are adding video but you can't not add video anymore, it's here to stay and as much as you complain that it raises prices, it probably doesn't. But Nikon going after MF people just proves their interest still lies with photography, so that's a good thing.

I always tell people if you shoot with Nikon, you better have damn patience. They will eventually build the camera/lens for you and when they do it will be everything you wanted and expected or better.

Feb 11, 2012 at 08:21 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon's new direction

I must confess that I first was unhappy with the rumors about a 36MP camera. I wanted a "real" D700 replacement as a camera with the same rugged body with similar size/weight, involving some more MP (max.24), better AF, better ISO, better image processor, eventually video, dual cards, same or higher fps...

It seems that Nikon does not taylor new products according our deep wish but according their market strategy... they simply want to sell more and this is what they do.

They released D4 - the flagship that is necessary for the reputation of Nikon, for Olympics Game, for PJ, sport & wildlife and top end pros that are ready to pay the price for the speed and ISO in a pro dream body.

Then they did a smart move, with D800 as a mini D3X... a huge sensor, same AF and Expeed as in D4, dual cards, two versions with-w/o AA filter - everything at a convenient cost: $3000.

Despite the fact D800 is not a direct competitor of D4 its huge impact has many reasons... almost all D700 owners wants to upgrade... many people who pre-ordered a D4 are pre-ordering a D800 as well... a good number of Canon shooters are considering to change the camp... and last but not least D800 is so attractive that I've heard around many people who were in DX camp willing to go in FX camp. So D800 will sell very well at least one year from now.

I believe that a smart move from Nikon would be next year, after most people will already upgrade to D4 and / or D800 to bring on the market a D800-like body with D4 sensor and ISO performance... I put my hand in fire that most D800 owners will buy the D4-Lite version as well and this will not kill D4 sales that are targeted to a narrow group but will boost Nikon profit.

So this seems to be very smart than instead to give us an upgrade of D700 with better fps, better ISO an more MP (the one we all expected) Nikon to give us at a year distance two D700's upgrades: one in MP and video, the other in speed and ISO... Who can resist to not buy such as "evil" offer?

In the same time next year Nikon can put D800 sensor with some tweakings in D4 body, to make a true high end replacement of D3X for the guys that really need 36MP and a higher frame rate... of course not many... but there are not necessary huge efforts in R&D to do that and the benefits of such as offer despite filling a narrow target is in the image of the brand.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon's new direction

Quite like Nikon's new direction. Don't like the 1 system, but the D800 looks grest.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon's new direction

The D700 is made in Japan so has nothing to do with Thailand's factories.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon's new direction

Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess the paradigm of Nikon bodies we've all come to expect is for now shattered. Thinking about
it, maybe we're back to a time when enthusiastic amateurs and pros alike could afford the better pro level Nikon equipment(say an F5 or F100) equipment.

Feb 12, 2012 at 01:42 PM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon's new direction

This is not your daddys camera and definatley not Nikon's first rodeo. I believe Nikon has a plan for the D800. The 3000.00 entry point is imho a bit misleading. A grip that costs 450.00 ish.....unless there is something really special about the grip, I have to assume this is a $275.00 grip as the D700 ad D7000 were.....a bit of a price hike you think? The D800 will also launch pro quality glass sales to a new level as I think we all agree you need good glass to make this 36MP monster shine.
Will it break into the MF market?? I don't think you will get many MF owners to up and sell their gear for a D800 as the MF camera market is a religion to most. I do think $3000.00 is a drop in the bucket for MF owners as a D800 is $20,000 less than a typical Phase140MP setup and they will without hesitation add the D800 to their quiver as an alternative. It will also allow those non MF owners to break into markets that MF has controlled for sometime.
The D800 is a game changer for a lot of people out there and as time goes on I think more people are going to realize what a plus those MP are not so much to produce billboards but to crop an image nicely when you needed a bit longer glass and still end up with a really nice quality and sized file.

Feb 12, 2012 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password