Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

Justin Berman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

I've heard it is slow. Diglloyd says it is a good chunk OFF target every time. That really concerns me in that I am trying to select between the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 and the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G.

If the latter's autofocus is nonfunctional, it seems like a no brainer, get he Zeiss because I would have to MF on both of them! If the issues are limited to a few samples, or can be correct with focus-adjust, I may swing to the Nikon.

Thanks!
Justin

Feb 11, 2012 at 03:24 AM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

Mine is deadly accurate......and doesn't seem slow at all on my D3 or D700......

Feb 11, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #3 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

A year ago when the lens came out, I've been out together with Diglloyd to test our respective copies of the 35/1.4G on our respective bodies. You need to understand that Lloyd is very meticulous and determined to get the absolute best quality out of his gear. In many cases, when he showed me an example of misfocus, and I looked thru the magnifying loupe over the LCD of his D3x at the 100% image, I could not see an issue until he carefully pointed it out. Yes the lens AF was often slightly off, but I would never have noticed it by myself, nor has it been any practical problem for me during many shoots in the last year. It's been accurate for me.

Feb 11, 2012 at 03:34 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #4 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

When I had it, I thought focus was dead on everything and wasn't too slow at all.

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

The 35L on Canon is pretty dang quick to focus, so I was expecting the same from the Nikon version. It is a little slower to focus, but nothing terribly concerning. I've shot weddings, sports, and plenty of other quick moving stuff with it and it's tracked along just fine. The only time you really notice any "slowness" is when you're racking from super close to far.

I've definitely never had to manually focus mine.

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:15 AM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

Its not as fast as that of 24-70 or 14-24. Hopefully it will be must faster on D4/D800.

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:17 AM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #7 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

Mine was bad out of the box, but it ended up being the D700 body. Sent it in for calibration and all good now.

Feb 11, 2012 at 04:25 AM
TSY87
• • •
p.1 #8 · Can Some 35mm f/1.4G Owners Comment On Autofocus?

mshi wrote:
Its not as fast as that of 24-70 or 14-24. Hopefully it will be must faster on D4/D800.

The limiting factor on the 35g seems to be the focusing motor they used. I dont know why, but the 35 and 24g both use a microgear motor vs the faster ring type motor in the zoom lenses.

If you do an infinity sweep, you will see that the 35g is notably slower than the 24-70.

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password