Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Am...

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/business/barnes-noble-taking-on-amazon-in-the-fight-of-its-life.html?pagewanted=all

Amazon wants to strangle the publishing and book industry. They already have too much influence in the publishing industry. I can't, in good conscience, give them any of my money.

I love books too much to let them disappear.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #2 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Are you shooting digital? If so, are you disappointed that you contributed to Kodak's demise? Or, are you of my school of thought that technology influences culture, and culture influences technology, and some companies are more in-tune with the progression, and aren't afraid to reinvent themselves, and if need be, change the platform to stay alive, and that blaming institutions is ridiculous.

In this case, the platform would be print, and the change would be leaving it behind. You do know that print will never fully go away, right?

So what if all billboards were digital, all books, magazines, cards, etc. were electronic? Sure, some factions in the industry will wither and die, but others will move toward some sort of digital component for the big picture. Printing presses might have to reevaluate what they can contribute to digital 'print', and shift their strategies, and some of them will. Others will go the way of the DoDo bird. Publishers will buy up technological advancements and slap their names on them, and LED's will backlight a lot of what 4 color-process used to render.

Look at what the consumer demand for tablets and smart phones has done to Adobe's Flash. Adobe choose not to stay on-board, Apple choose not to be lenient. HTML5 is rapidly replacing the established norm, and many Flash-based sites that have been in play for the past ten years are going to need revamping if they want to stay relevant and current with people on the move--people searching the internet from handheld devices. It's going to have an influence on web-designers, companies seeking websites, eCommerce, etc. Adobe isn't going to cross its arms, boycott the consumers and stew in the corner. They're going to reinvent Flash, give it a new architecture, a new name, and push themselves to the front again in the HTML5 craze.

We're already seeing shifts in how web presentation is conveyed, especially since tablets and smart phones have a more streamlined depiction of the internet. You're going to see more websites adapt this standard. Everything changes.

It's called progress.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:39 PM
nguyencs
• •
p.1 #3 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

With tablet becoming more mainstream, ebooks are the future. It is smart of Barne and Noble to develop the Nook but it is still not enough. I haven't checked but I hope they're building apps to work on other tablets. I can't even remember the last time I bought a book at a store. They never have anything I'm looking for. I do what people tend to do, just go to relax in a corner and read for free.

With my school books costing $250 a piece and heavy as a bowling ball, I can't wait for ebooks to be more mainstream. Only bad thing I see is that I won't be able to resell the book.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

RJKphoto wrote:
I can't, in good conscience, give them any of my money.

It's OK. My wife thinks I give them enough money for two people anyway.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

DanBrown wrote:
It's OK. My wife thinks I give them enough money for two people anyway.

Thanks for picking up the slack!

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:31 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Luckily, I live in a country it's my prerogative to not buy from amazon. My concern is not the death of printed books, but Amazon zeal in pushing them over the cliff.

And FYI, I have a freezer in my basement FULL of little yellow boxes. You wouldn't be using a digital camera if not for Kodak...

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:34 PM
sky_barker
• • •
p.1 #7 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

I tend to shop elsewhere these days, too, because I don't like the way they do business.

Edited on Feb 13, 2012 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

And if it weren't for the figures in technology that are determined to push advancements, and in the process phase-out antiquated forms, you and I would not be having this discourse over the internet, on a computer.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Give me a break...Amazon is doing nothing but lining it's pockets, they have no interest in furthering anything but their own narrow interests.

Books can hardly be considered antiquated forms. A book printed on a Gutenberg press can still be read today. I defy you to read anything on a Kindle in 20 years, much less 600.

Feb 12, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #10 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

From the perspective of how a book is crafted, to materials used, and process of reproduction, books are very much antiquated. Do I still read, rent and purchase them? Yes, I do. Do I also acknowledge that there exists revolutionized alternatives that also incorporate additional functions? Yes, I do.

Since when has any business not had the bottom dollar in mind when pushing innovation? Since when has that stopped consumers from enabling them to do so by investing in the products?

I'll mail you pigment pressed from rose pedals, and a slab of slate to write on so we can continue our love letters.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? One of the issues of "social Justice" that the "we are the 99%" folks are wailing about is the proliferation of giant corporate conglomerations that force feed the world what the corporations feel we "need". I am standing up against that. I buy from local businesses, eat what's grown by local farmers, and yes, I TRY to buy books from a local independent. Your beloved internet has made that more and more difficult! I am no Luddite, I like new shiny toys as much as the next person, but at some point the consumption becomes ridiculous, merely for the sake of consumption. Witness the disaster our economy is.

When I do buy something online, I want to be a able to call and talk to a human being (here in the US, not India) who may actually be able to help me, instead of just reading me the manual. Try talking to a human at Amazon.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #12 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

I have, many times. In fact, I found the 800 number on the Internet. Friendly service at Amazon, to boot. And the 99%ers are way too disorganized for me to waste megabytes on.

Have you ever frequented Abebooks.cOm? That wonderful resource of mom and pop booksellers peddling rare and hard to find tombs? I have. I've purchased nearly thirty books from thirty sellers on that site. Beware! It's owned by Amazon.

Have you referenced ImDb Owned by Amazzon since 1998. Please, for the sake of your conscience, don't enable Amazon by visiting these sites. You're website hits are helping them along, and in the process, you're killing Leonard Maltins printed, published movie guide (yawn). I bet you don't care about that?

Well, things like this are in play years before large companies slap their name on them. ImDb was started in 1990, though I bet you didn't know that. You just like to point fingers at those that stand out the most. Like your 99%ers did. They failed.

I'm done here.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #13 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Barnes and Noble is just as much of a bookstore bully as Amazon. They are both on a level playing field offering on-line books options. Apple offers HD iPad apps for both the Kindle and the Nook. They split the field and profit both ways. Tough world.

The death of paper media is overrated right now. Are any of us shedding a tear for the CD music stores? Amazon is talking about opening a brick and mortar store in Seattle to compete with B&N. And eventually some form of state sales tax will be collected for all on-line shoppers no matter what state they live in. Anyway, just think of the number of trees we could have saved if Sarah Palin's "Going Rogue" wasn't published. ...... OK, one or two.

Feb 13, 2012 at 02:56 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Well Skarkowtsky, you're done because you're wrong. You get your hackles all up because someone offers a dissenting view to yours. You get angry and condescending. Not a good way to win an argument.

My experience with Amazon is bad, and I am entitled to my opinion. I am completely entitled to NOT shop there. No reason to get so pissy about it. I'm not really sure why you're so defensive of Amazon, perhaps your stock in them is not doing as well as you hoped?

I used to frequent ABE before amazon. I don't use ImDb, don't even know what it is.

And Borderlight, B&N's volume is nothing compared to Amazon, mostly because they have their fingers in everyone's pie, not just the publishing industry. And why would I want to buy something from Adorama through Amazon> Why wouldn't I just go to Adorama in the first place?

Feb 13, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #15 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Actually, I'm the furthest from angry--I simply illustrated my point with true examples. I'm 'done' because this is like screaming at a wall. Buy from Adorama through Amazon is Adorama's effort to broaden its audience by using any marketplace possible to promote their inventory. Don't blame Amazon if you don't like the marketing angle. You point fingers in all the wrong directions.

I will continue to enjoy Amazon's, Adorama's and Barnes and Noble's services.

Feb 13, 2012 at 03:59 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

So...you're not done? Telling me not to blame Amazon for what they do is insane. I DO blame them, therefore I WON'T buy from them. Notice I said "I", never have I said "you". That's even the title of the post! (Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon)

It is merely your opinion that I point my fingers in the wrong direction. Perhaps I should point at you, as an enabler of Amazon's plan for world domination?

Feb 13, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #17 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Why are you so absolute in your presumptions? World domination? HAHAHA

And yes, your opinion is yours, and mine is mine. However, you chose to make your opinion public in a forum setting. I've every right to express my opinion, even if it conflicts with yours. However, I've substantiated my claims with facts.

You're injecting lots of conjecture into the facts you've provided to support your argument.

World domination...HAHAHAHA

Feb 13, 2012 at 04:22 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

This is an interesting discussion. I can't figure out if the heartburn as about the changes in retail or about Amazon's implementation of those changes.

Personally, the concept of an electronic reader with electronic files makes much more sense than a store full of books. I wonder how many millions of pounds of unsold books are recycled every year. I would think mom and pop bookstores have to be very smart to guess what and how much to stock. They may order 100 copies and end up only selling 10. Who takes the hit on the other 90? If the book is electronic, it costs very little to store and there's not the risk since you can sell an unlimited amount.

I think the smart booksellers have found a way to work with Amazon. I've searched for some books that were out of print and hard to come by. Amazon pointed me to small booksellers who have fulfilled my order. I regard it as a win-win.

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:03 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

Please enlighten me with said "facts"? Bah

The article substantiates Amazon's desire to control the publishing industry. It's a know FACT. I don't really have any idea what you're talking about by claiming you provided "facts". You stated that printed books are "antiquated"...that's an opinion not fact, and every one of your post has been an attack...re-read them, go ahaed.

The term "world domination" was used jokingly, anyone who understands the concept of sarcasm would see that. Jeeze...

DM, the over_purchased books usually go back to the publisher, then are resold as remainders or "bargain books", many store specialize in these items, very very few books are ever recycled unless damaged.

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #20 · Why I'm not going to purchase anything from or through Amazon

You read them as attacks. They're were mere examples. Check what I said for facts, with the exception of books being antiquated (although, they are).

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:35 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password