Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Passage (4x5)

daverowe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Passage (4x5)

about a month ago i was at a little "get together". one of my friends sisters came down from davis to visit. right when she walked in the door, i told myself i was going to shoot her. a week ago she came back down to visit, so we had a 30 minute shoot with the 4x5. learning so much about this camera and the world of large format. its so beautiful. c and c welcomed and much appreciated.

thanks for looking, david!

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Passage (4x5)

le bump

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:56 PM
silvanwick
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Passage (4x5)

I like it... Beautiful face!

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:21 PM
photoomaha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Passage (4x5)

David,

I like what you are after here. Definitely isn't a boring portrait. What do you feel the 4x5 gives you that you don't have while shooting digital? Just wanted to know your thoughts on the process. I see several photographers switching back to MF or LF lately. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:48 PM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Passage (4x5)

Very nice.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Passage (4x5)

Its so nice when a negative reaches out and grabs you by the heart. I play with a post-WW2 Rolfix which gives me a 6x9 negative on 120 film.

The woman looks outstanding.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Passage (4x5)

photoomaha...its the tilts shifts and swings that do it for me. i was having such a hard time with photography as a means of artistic ventilation. meaning... the digital camera was way to technological for me. i dont know how to explain it more than this...there is such an intimate feeling setting up the 4x5 and fixing the rails and bellows. kind of like painting...the brush and the hand share such a beautiful relationship. the brush strokes are a direct result of the hand. with 4x5 i feel like i have so much more control over the photo. theres something about the old style of portraits that is just absolutely poetic. paolo roversi is a perfect example. his images are probably my biggest inspiration. hopefully that helps some??

Feb 11, 2012 at 02:45 AM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Passage (4x5)

Baurpower...could not agree more. What a beauty that must be

Feb 11, 2012 at 07:31 PM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Passage (4x5)

thanks silvanwick

Feb 12, 2012 at 07:09 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Passage (4x5)

daverowe wrote:
photoomaha...its the tilts shifts and swings that do it for me. i was having such a hard time with photography as a means of artistic ventilation. meaning... the digital camera was way to technological for me. i dont know how to explain it more than this...there is such an intimate feeling setting up the 4x5 and fixing the rails and bellows. kind of like painting...the brush and the hand share such a beautiful relationship. the brush strokes are a direct result of the hand. with 4x5 i feel like i have so much more control over the photo. theres something
...Show more

paolo really needs to learn a thing or two. his images are flat and shouldn't inspire anyone

Feb 13, 2012 at 02:06 AM

matejphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Passage (4x5)

Stupid Question: Why does it have a red hue?
Sorry, I don't know much about large format.

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:41 AM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Passage (4x5)

killersnowman....cmd_exe/bypass_security/attack[killersnowman]011001.8.301_TOX.exe

Feb 13, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Passage (4x5)

So, you've made a ton of work just to produce this uninspiring flat image in outrageous red? Why 4x5? Sorry for the rant, but truly for such a thing you should use a mobile phone. And what about emotion, expression, imagination? No nothing. Utterly boring stuff.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Passage (4x5)

eat me technician...

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Passage (4x5)

matejphoto...not stupid at all. it was taken with a 4x5 polaroid. so when i scanned the image to a digital file, i changed the coloring in post.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Passage (4x5)

Yep, I'd agree with you, sir, you have your work cut out for you. Looks like a "mug shot." Uninspiring, to say the least.

BTW, if you cannot take the critique, then don't ask for it, let alone make wise-ass comments when you get what you've asked for.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:12 PM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Passage (4x5)

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:21 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Passage (4x5)

Technician wrote:
So, you've made a ton of work just to produce this uninspiring flat image in outrageous red? Why 4x5? Sorry for the rant, but truly for such a thing you should use a mobile phone. And what about emotion, expression, imagination? No nothing. Utterly boring stuff.

There is no such thing as no emotion. Being emotionless is a state of emotic energy that meets a quantum euphoric wavelength of the universe.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Passage (4x5)

Technician wrote:
Sorry for the rant... And what about emotion...? No nothing.

Funny, you seem to be reacting with some emotion.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Juan Francisco
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Passage (4x5)

I can never understand hostility in a place where everyone shares the same passion.

Btw. I dig it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password