Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · When all is lost

Technician
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When all is lost

Take a look here, please, especially at last post. I was going to build a system in order to start a business but unfortunately I broke my 105 VR. Very big money in my world. So, how does it feel to live with only one advanced lens?

Dum de dum...

Single D5000, AF-S Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 G and 120x90cm reflector. Really, guys, let's bungle all those blah blahs about new cool gear and take some photos.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM
passthegravy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When all is lost

Very nice captures, especially with limited gear. Looks like you are certainly making the best of what you've got. A little fill flash would have done wonders for a couple of them.

Oh, and sorry about the broken 105VR.

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:23 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When all is lost

Be glad you don't have a D800 with no AA filter. That dress would drive you crazy with moire

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:32 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When all is lost

Great shots, well done!!

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:44 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When all is lost

What's a D5000? Wrong forum. That belongs to alternate gear. This is Nikon D800 forum. Don't you know?

Nice photos though seriously.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Juan Francisco
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When all is lost

I agree some fill flash could help. And, don't tell her I said this, but could use some help in post with skin.

But I love the point of this thread. I get caught up in it like everyone. I was reading earlier and made myself get out and take pictures....

It was fun

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:08 AM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When all is lost

Very pretty model

... and I totally agree... I look forward to going out to my nearby marsh or ocean and snap some shots of birds more than the release of a new body. Surprise! A new body will come out each year. We've reached a point where if you have a modern day DSLR you are good to go. I figure back in film days it was costly and being into photography was an expensive hobby but now in the digital age you can shoot thousands on a memory card and print just a select few. Sure ISO 560,000 is tempting as is 100mb Raw files, but at the end of the day you never want to shoot at ISO that high if you can help it and 10-12mp is more than enough

Feb 10, 2012 at 06:05 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When all is lost

When all is lost I have a beer.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:40 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When all is lost

FTW my friend. Love this set

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:10 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When all is lost

runamuck wrote:
Be glad you don't have a D800 with no AA filter. That dress would drive you crazy with moire

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell some people - no AA filter is not the holy grail of photography some people think. The manufacturers don't put an AA the to deliberately hold us back

As a perfect example, shot #2 (left side) has moire already, although some of that could easily be through downsizing. However, the larger the shot (e.g. 36MP!) the more downsizing you have to do!

Great series of shots BTW - love them

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Technician
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When all is lost

Dave_EP wrote:
That's exactly what I've been trying to tell some people - no AA filter is not the holy grail of photography some people think. The manufacturers don't put an AA the to deliberately hold us back

As a perfect example, shot #2 (left side) has moire already, although some of that could easily be through downsizing. However, the larger the shot (e.g. 36MP!) the more downsizing you have to do!

Great series of shots BTW - love them

Sorry to look ignorant, but I'm sure that most people do not really need unlimited resolution. If so, they must be pros and justifying digital medium format system isn't painful anymore. That megapixel race is forced, people force to 'need' it theirselves and convince to 'need' for their own, rather than confess they 'want' it. I think it is better to study nature of light to improve the vision and understanding what is relevant for the end picture and what's not.

Thanks everyone! I responded every message here but ended up clicking <x> button in the browser's tab. Oh boy...

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · When all is lost

Technician wrote:
Sorry to look ignorant, but I'm sure that most people do not really need unlimited resolution. If so, they must be pros and justifying digital medium format system isn't painful anymore. That megapixel race is forced, people force to 'need' it theirselves and convince to 'need' for their own, rather than confess they 'want' it. I think it is better to study nature of light to improve the vision and understanding what is relevant for the end picture and what's not.

Thanks everyone! I responded every message here but ended up clicking <x> button in the browser's tab. Oh boy...

No, no, no, you don't look ignorant at all. You are showing what can be done with equipment that is already perfectly capable of truly awesome photographs. Your series is great. I love them.

I was actually agreeing with you and others that the cameras we already have are sufficient for almost everything any of us want/need to do, and the idea that buying a 36MP camera with no AA filter is going to make things better is not necessarily true. Personally, I would NOT buy the camera without AA filters simply because of the moire/aliasing problem.

I merely pointed to photo 2 as an example of how it already can happen WITH an AA filter and that it would be so much worse WITHOUT one.

Keep the kit you have - you know how to use it and it can only get better the more you actually use it

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · When all is lost

Yep, if I had a choice between D800 and D800E, I'd choose the first one. Less post-processing required. Anyway, I am willing to get the D700 for the sake of wider view (e.g. true focal length). Crop-sensor camera is a pain in the butt, especially after downgrade from film which had its place two years ago. The problem is that I broke my finest lens and will have nothing but 50 mm anymore. I love 28 mm angle of view and 85 pretty much enough for serious paid work, but I have to have them simultaneously. Since I'm poor, there's no way to afford highly desired combo of D700, 28 mm Distagon and 85 mm Sigma or Nikkor. This makes me a lil' bit sad.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:00 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · When all is lost

Great work as usual Technician and I wish you were closer to me, I would be happy to loan you some nice gear that you'd put to better use than I I'm sure since I'm always working haha

Agree that a little subtle fill flash could have put this series over the top but I'm sure the model is thrilled to have someone with your skills shooting and the only one unhappy is you at the moment :-)

Sorry to hear about your 105VR, if it makes you feel any better when I shot Canon there was a guy on the Canon forum that shot with a standard 50mm, always his portrait lens. Well lit with natural light and good processing. Everyone always oohed and aahed over every single post he made, because he had his own style and great technique, so you've got the tools you need to succeed and your obvious understanding of light is more important right now than the limitations of your kit.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · When all is lost

workerdrone, thank you so much! Your words have lift my spirit up, big time.

BTW, my closest friends are forcing me to move abroad due to hopelessness of living in Ukraine. Dunno what to choose, because I can afford only one expense at a time. If I'll move away, all my money will fly like a leaf in the wind but I'll still the same as before. The biggest problem is that I hate to search for clients or another kind of job. My management skills are void.

Okay, soon I'll post one more serie, stay tuned.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:07 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · When all is lost

Pretty girl, stunning photos. They prove that you don't need a truck load of 'pro' gear to make good pictures. Really sorry to hear about you 105......

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · When all is lost

Thank you!

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:46 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · When all is lost

Pretty girl. I totally agree. Now you can use that real nice new 50mm G lens more. I like that lens and I have "played with it" from a friends copy. Practice some fill flash and bounce card techniques as you wait for your "new lens". I have been going thru my lighting kit recently and I have a couple of threads in the lighting forum, seeking wisdom as I got my kit together again.

Feb 11, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Technician
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · When all is lost

Using built-in flash is a crippled thing, IMO. Without pair off-camera strobes there's little to no gain in something artsy.

Feb 11, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · When all is lost

Technician wrote:
Using built-in flash is a crippled thing, IMO. Without pair off-camera strobes there's little to no gain in something artsy.

You misunderstand. The posters were suggesting fill light (whether by builtin flash or otherwise), not for main light.

Feb 11, 2012 at 09:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password