Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

That horrible 5D MKII

With the Nikon D800 announcement I thought Iíd share my experiences with the Canon mistake, ( 5D MKII ) a bashing it much deserves.

A little background, I operate today in both the Canon and Nikon camp. I converted/reintroduced myself to Nikon 3+ years ago. The cause for this move was my dreaded 1D MKIII, it appears that you either had a good one or a bad one back then, mine was bad. Coming from a MKIIN my upgrade/replacement was a nightmare.

After much annoyance the following purchasing schedule was;
11/20/08 - D700
10/23/09 - D300s
11/19/09 - D3s
7/10/11 - D3x
11/20/08 to 12/31/11 $$$ of Nikon glass/flash/etc.

I have now been fully indoctrinated into the Nikon camp. Using $ from the sale of a few Canon lens the transition was still expensive but the Nikon bodies delivered what I was looking for. Actually they reminded me of what the upgrade to the MKIIN should have been IMO.

Picture life was good again. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention after taking delivery of my D700, my pre-ordered 5D MKII arrived just before Christmas. This was the only body I have ordered that was not from, B&H, (they were not taking pre-orders) so when it arrived on my doorstep after I already canceled the order, I was tempted to just send it back and fight to get my credit card restored. Had I done that I would not have had to endure the next 3 Ĺ years of the 5D MKII tormenting me.

I opened the box, I could always justify why later, and when I loaded it up I quickly noticed the body squeaked. I was already aware of Canon quality control ? I then made a terrible mistake, I shot a few pictures and it began.

Regardless of what Canon did not upgrade with the focusing system, the squeaking body, lack of weather proofing, etc., what Canon did deliver was a lot of value in a body that gave me the best image quality I have seen since leaving film. Rotten companies like Canon knew if I opened that box the tormenting would began.

I had already sold my Canon long lens but decided I should do more testing before selling anymore Canon glass. I still had 5 ĎLí lens on hand, a couple others and all my flash set up. Foolish not to at least try it, as I only had the D700 and two Nikon lens at this time.

Fast forward to today, I still have the 5D MKII, no Canon equipment has been sold since 2008. I pre-ordered the D800E, telling myself its time to sell the Canon gear.

I think this is the third time Iíve instructed myself this order. Took a few new pics to post on B&S on this forum and rid myself of this mistake. Thought I would post next week, almost, sort of.

As I stated above, I have two very fine high res cameras. IMO the 5DMKII gives up nothing in IQ compared to the D3x. One hassle for me is when I travel (Air travel esp.), I can only take one brand as the limited space. I might give up certain strengths from one system to another but if one learns to use the equipment they can be minimized.

I had a local buyer last year ready to give my 5DMKII a home. I had already decided to take it on a two-week trip to the Holy Land. Not a photo trip. I knew we would be moving daily, there would be no time setting up for the sunsets or those shots that needed extra time. Shoot on the move, light weight, so I chose the 5DMKII and although there were times I missed the high ISO of my D3s in the end I made the correct choice as after 4500 shots, up to 3200 ISO, sometimes shooting from a moving vehicle, this body with 24-70/2.8/ 135/2.0 and the 70-200/4 performed very well.

Did I miss some shots due to the slower auto focus; sure, I even miss some with the D3s. However when I review the files I have nothing but praise for the results this horribly slow camera, that doesnít focus, and squeaks, has provided me in photographs.

Now that I have the D3x, ( it doesnít squeak) which was purchased to replace the mediocre 5DMKII, almost, I can compare side by side. The 5DMKII will be staying in my stable, Iíll be canceling my pre-order on the D800, video improvements it may have, I shoot little video. How much will I see from the increased MP? Not much Iíd guess.

The purpose of this long-winded post is this. If you have a Canon 5DMKII, you own one of the top digital cameras ever produced. It is a tool that is hard to beat when in the hands of a learned shooter. ( Iím still learning) Value compared to todayís prices is good. When I look at the files/prints, oh yeah, tough to say I could do it better.

So this was to re-inform the 5DMKII owners what they Already knew, although the 5DMKII will be updated, this camera will rank as one of the best in the digital age for a long time. If you can get one used today, grab it.

IMO over the digital age, my top five cameras I own/or owned, based on the end results are in order;
1. Nikon D3s
2. Canon 5DMK II
3. Nikon D700
4. Nikon D3x
5. Canon 1D MK IIN

I still own #1 thru #4, anyone of them will get me what I want, I might follow a different procedure to get that photo, they are tools after all.

I havenít used the D800, Iím sure it will be a great body with great IQ, but I had to ask myself the question Moose Peterson asked himself on his blog,

ďWhat problems do I have with my current gear that the new gear might solve?Ē
He goes on, ďThen there is that, ďItís new and Iíve gotta have itĒ feeling. Seriously, there is nothing better then the smell of new gear and the thrill of taking it out for the first time. But that new body doesnít guarantee you better photographs, it just donít work that way.

Thanks Moose, I think the major problem I have is to devote more time to photography and improve my skill set. Iíve had a camera in hand for 44 years, youíd think I am a slow learner, I am. I am certainly guilty of the new and gotta have it feeling. Not this year, all because of that horrible tormenting 5D MKII.

Cheers & good shooting.

Gerard

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:04 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Alrighty then!

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:07 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

it's funny that back in the days, people were able to take pictures using completely manual equipment and film
Wonder what they complained about back then!

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:07 PM
scottleslie
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Finally, some sanity in the "I NEED a d800, I'm going to switch to Nikon, Canons are crap" lunacy that's been going on over the past few days. Instead of being pre-occupied with needing the next great thing, you have injected some reason into all this foolishness. Thanks Gerard!

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

lovinglife wrote:
it's funny that back in the days, people were able to take pictures using completely manual equipment and film

They complained about film, chemicals and paper!

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 07:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Best post of the year thus far.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Mark2Mark
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Nice post, thanks.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:20 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Gerard -
I would even go so far as saying that the Canon 5D Mk 1 is still one he11 of a body...

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Thanks guys, could be an age thing, I guess. Remember the first years of auto focus? Aperture preferred ? What are these programs? I shoot manual , always have. The computer will never replace my eye?

lovinglife - you would be right!

Gerard

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:35 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

lovinglife wrote:

That was back when viewfinders were large enough to be able to tell whether focus was correct. Today's modern dSLR can't do that without live view being zoomed in.

They probably complained that there were overall limitations in the ability to capture action during things like weddings, that there wasn't enough light in churches, and that their flash exposure was difficult to get consistent. Or...they complained about the challenge of mastering all of the equipment and skills that took more effort to learn.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Tom K. wrote:
Best post of the year thus far.

+ 1000
Thank you, Gerhard.

"lack-luster" hits it. Its not shiny, neither brilliant in features. Its just a great tool.
I put it in my hands and thought: "Feels okay."
I put my own CF in and did some pictures infront of the shop. Back home I watched them.
And just said: "Okay! Thats it!"

Yesterday I shot some portraits and action pics of olympic sports people for a customer. A beautiful girl and a very nice guy. We laughed a lot. But what did I want to tell you? I was afraid if 5D MK II would make it. It did in a horrible location (background) with a pain of light. WE did it.

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Good Stuff Ralph! You managed to coax a few more shots out of our outdated bodies. Keep on keeping on.

Gerard

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Superb post! When I started reading I thought "Oh no, not another troll thread", but the more I read, the more I smiled and realized how right you are.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:14 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Well said piece..I agree whole heartedly and will keep my trusty 5 forever...one question tho..what is this squeak you speak of ?

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Taoguy wrote:
Good Stuff Ralph! You managed to coax a few more shots out of our outdated bodies. Keep on keeping on.

Gerard

I hate the black net in the BG.

Outdated stuff? 1st pic is center AF and rearranged. Second is prefocused. I shot it to get him in both directions and cropped. Usually I use the format. But that here was to fast for me. But I guess I would have done the same with any other camera body.

It is not the gear that dates out. It is us. When I was young, I shot concerts with 1600 Fuji (film) at 135mm 2.8 at a 30th handheld and had 8 of ten keepers. Today I am happy to get 2 of ten with an IS lense. But I still switch of AF tio shoot manual. That is often faster and most time more accurate. And it gives me the feeling I do the picture.

I just contacted a photographer who wants to sell his old stuff. He offers a 10D. He asked me to visit my seminar instead of paying for it. I was flashed. Never had a 10D. But I started with itīs predecessor D60 into digital SLR. I used it 3.5 years before shutter broke.
6MP! AF? Forget it (it had one but that was so slow and inaccurate that I shot 90% manual. ISO? 800 native, 1000 calculated (forget it). But those 6MP at high ( ) ISO looked like filmgrain! No shitty banding like in todays 15, 18, 24 MP.
The follow up 10D used the same sensor, but went up to ISO 1600. The AF was enhanced and it was/is no plastic body, but alloy (?). 3 frames per second! 7 AF points. Just 7000 actuations. I hope I get it and it will be a great feeling going out and shoot with it. 6MP is a lot of pixels, but they force you back to think about your shot.

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 09:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

gpchase wrote:
Well said piece..I agree whole heartedly and will keep my trusty 5 forever...one question tho..what is this squeak you speak of ?

I guess he mentiones the CF cards door. Mine squeaks too.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Bones74 wrote:
Superb post! When I started reading I thought "Oh no, not another troll thread", but the more I read, the more I smiled and realized how right you are.

+ 10 (me too)

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:26 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

Ralph Conway wrote:
I guess he mentiones the CF cards door. Mine squeaks too.

Oh right..I've heard of this..mine doesn't have that option

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

The younger ones would call it "feature"

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why did Canon ever produce the lack-luster 5D MKII?

My 5D II doesn't squeak, creak or moan.

And I have an admission to make. I regularly use the outer AF points, even though they apparently don't work at all and are there for show.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password