1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Square Credit Card Reader

marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Square Credit Card Reader

Tanner_J wrote:
My main business is T&I and we can do close to $10,000 of sales in a day and have never ever had a problem.

Up until Square people had to write their credit card information on the order form. We had to run them when we got home and found that some cards would come back declined, we would contact the buyer and they would never get back to us; so we lost out on money. Now with Square we can run the cards on the spot and if it doesn't work we get a different card. I can honestly say
...Show more

How does the receipt feature work ? Via email ?
And if no card is present, is there a keyboard feature for inputting the credit card info ?

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Square Credit Card Reader

How does the receipt feature work ? Via email ? And if no card is present, is there a keyboard feature for inputting the credit card info ?

Yes, and yes. The email receipt is pretty much immediate, so your client's phone will buzz with the incoming message, which most folks still think is nifty.

If you don't swipe, you can enter the numbers, and you'll pay a higher fee (last time I tried this, anyway).

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM
MTBtrials
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Square Credit Card Reader

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of starting another one....

imaginephotoaz wrote:
We called them and told them we charge thousands at a time when we book weddings. They asked two or three questions and we were made into an unlimited acct. square is amazing. We use it constantly for booking weddings, prints, etc. love it so much!

Where did you find a phone number?

I picked up a square last night from Walmart, but after doing a little (it didn't take much) research I read some horror stories which make Friday the 13th sound like It's a Beautiful Life...

One reoccurring thing I have repeatedly read is that there is no published phone number on squareup's website. After spending 20+ minutes navigating their site, I still haven't stumbled across anything more than an e-mail contact form.... (keep in mind I haven't set up an account yet so that might have something to do with it)

Anyway, I have a few weddings this month where the clients want to use CC over check. Normally I wouldn't go that route, but being so close to the holidays I am willing to make concessions. I'm just a little reluctant to trust a couple of grand to a company which at best has a spotty track record when it comes to $1000+ transactions.... a few reviews seem to indicate that part of their business model is to force the user (you or me) to "key in" transactions over $1000 so they can "sit" on the money... I don't have any clue if that's true or not, but I am a bit nervous about using squareup after reading some of the reviews

Thanks
Mark

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:27 AM
EVO088
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Square Credit Card Reader

I love square! I think the 1000 limit has been lifted .. cuz it hit my acct in a few days! no phone calls or emails or anything. But I am not sure what acct you have, but mine is the business acct with tax ids and the whole9

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:06 AM
MTBtrials
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Square Credit Card Reader

EVO088 wrote:
I love square! I think the 1000 limit has been lifted .. cuz it hit my acct in a few days! no phone calls or emails or anything. But I am not sure what acct you have, but mine is the business acct with tax ids and the whole9

I haven't set up an account yet... was a little leery of it after all of my reading.

As far as the $1000 limit, it's something to do with manual entry versus a swipe.
I might bite the bullet and try it... if not intuit has a similar device which I haven't found anything as scary about yet... but I think I'm going to keep researching.

Thanks!

Mark

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:12 AM
dsouzl
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Square Credit Card Reader

Does Square process chipped cards? I believe there's a mandate (at least in Canada) to switch completely over to chip technology by 2015 (ie. no more swipe cards).

http://www.interac.ca/index.php/en/security/what-is-chip

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:22 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Square Credit Card Reader

MTBtrials wrote:
I haven't set up an account yet... was a little leery of it after all of my reading.

As far as the $1000 limit, it's something to do with manual entry versus a swipe.
I might bite the bullet and try it... if not intuit has a similar device which I haven't found anything as scary about yet... but I think I'm going to keep researching.

Thanks!

Mark

You can absolutely do manual entry for more than $1000. I did a few this year and last that were well over $1000.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:53 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Square Credit Card Reader

For those who want more payment options for clients. Intuit offers a auto pay feature. That would allow a client to do a fixed amount per month on autopay.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:03 PM
StephanieTo

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Square Credit Card Reader

In Canada, we have a similar one called Payd.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:19 PM
sic0048
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Square Credit Card Reader

Regarding the security of Square's transmissions....

From Square's Website:
Card-processing systems adhere to PCI Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) Level 1.

Square requires sensitive data to be encrypted using industry-standard methods when stored on disk or transmitted over public networks.

Square uses standard, well-reviewed cryptographic protocols and message formats (such as SSL and PGP) when transferring data.

Square requires that cryptographic keys are at least 128 bits long. Asymmetric keys must be at least 2048 bits long.

I'd say the merchant service rep that told the bank employees that Square is insecure was telling a big fat lie in order to get more business.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:37 PM
aclauson
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Square Credit Card Reader

jprezant wrote:
and on that note, I recall a discussion about how to deal with a signature space if they're not present. And from
what I remember you're supposed to have consent via email or something, and then write "see email" or something
like that on the sig line. Anyone remember something like that?

According to Square's website, you can just write 'phone payment' in there or something that denotes how/why they weren't present.

Just started using it now that it's available in Canada. Super convenient and works really well.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:30 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Square Credit Card Reader

you write "Phone Auth" in the signature space, you can also collect a signature authorization from your client to keep with your records in case you ever needed it, I know I had previously made my own order form that includes a place for clients to authorize credit card payments with a signature.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:35 PM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Square Credit Card Reader

I now also have the new Paypal CC processing unit. I love Square and have used it many events. Havent had time to try out the Paypal unit yet.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Square Credit Card Reader

I have paymate and paid $20 for the swiper, i'm yet to use it. Square has not really arrived here yet.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM
KibblesNbitz
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Square Credit Card Reader

I requested a Square Reader 2 months ago and it never came Guess I'll have to buy one for $10 hehe....

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.