Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Square Credit Card Reader

jprezant
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Square Credit Card Reader

on a similar note...

Who uses Intuit? Either you don't pay a monthly fee and the fees are comparable (slight higher keyed in rate) to
SQUARE, but if you pay 13/month, the rates drop a full 1%. So 1.7% for swipe, 2.7% for keyed.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:00 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Square Credit Card Reader

I just got my Intuit thingy in the mail this week. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Square Credit Card Reader

Square....hmmm. Where to start. well let me just say that until I had any sort of abnormality that required Customer Service, Square was great. Then I got hit with a chargeback. Long story, I sold some prints at a horseshow, the guy was later victimized by overseas fraudsters, his credit card company disputed all charges within a given time frame (including my legit charge) and Square pulled the funds from my account.

No big deal, I submitted all the required docs, including a signed invoice, receipt from print lab, receipt from shipping company, etc. Square said they would have the chargeback resolved with 5-30 days. Great. So I waited...and waited...and waited. After three months I contacted Square and received a reply that the chargeback will be resolved within seven days. So I waited...and waited... you get the idea.

It's now been over six months. Square has stopped responding to my emails completely. Square doesn't have a published phone number but I managed to find it on a complaints website. I got through once (they probably answered on accident) but was given a 10 minute runaround about no one being available to talk to me from the chargeback dept. Another time someone answered and immediately hung up. Mostly though, I get the leave a message and we'll never call you back routine. I've left at least 30-40 unanswered voice messages and just as many emails.

I simply can't understand how a $1 billion+ company could behave this way and stay in business for long. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and my Attorney General is next. There are viable alternatives and I would highly recommend looking to them first. Just Google "Square Customer Service" to see a long list of shitty treatment.

The small amount of money from this transaction isn't a big deal to me but imagine if this were a legit chargeback and I had to explain to a customer or a stranger why they couldn't get a refund from my business for over 6 months...I'm not willing to risk my reputation for Square's convenience. Intuit, Pay Anywhere, anything but Square for me.

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:49 AM
ryantimm
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Square Credit Card Reader

Just an FYI, my Fiance works at a bank and recently had to go through training for their credit card provider.

During training he urged everyone to not use Square and companies like it. Square does not use a secure way of transferring data (ie. credit card numbers and billing info). Basically anybody with the right know how can steal information since the way the information is transferred over airwaves is not secure.

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:29 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Square Credit Card Reader

and I bet he urged them to use the banks processing instead

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:31 AM
ryantimm
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Square Credit Card Reader

lol Wasn't there, but just relaying what I was told. I used square for a little while about a year ago too.

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:39 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Square Credit Card Reader

yea. I still use them occasionally. never had a problem so far.

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:42 AM
Xtreme10
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Square Credit Card Reader

Square is great until you need customer service, good luck with that

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:05 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Square Credit Card Reader

ryantimm wrote:
Just an FYI, my Fiance works at a bank and recently had to go through training for their credit card provider.

During training he urged everyone to not use Square and companies like it. Square does not use a secure way of transferring data (ie. credit card numbers and billing info). Basically anybody with the right know how can steal information since the way the information is transferred over airwaves is not secure.

Yeah, conflict of interest much? Of course they're slamming the competitor. Square's security looks legit to me; https://squareup.com/security/levels

And besides, there are tons of risks of your credit card info being skimmed, like every time a waitress walks off with it. That's what purchase protections are for, and they work quite well.

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:57 PM
ryantimm
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Square Credit Card Reader

I think some of you misunderstood. I am talking about a company that partners with the bank to provide credit cards to the banks customers.

And again, just passing along info. You all can make your own decisions.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Square Credit Card Reader

What about transaction security ? Is that a real issue to be concerned with ? Interception of uncrypted transaction information ?

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:14 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Square Credit Card Reader

G-Gore wrote:
Just make sure you dont go over $1000 per month with your transactions. If u do then whole deposit schedule will be delayed.

Why is this, I will easily do 3-4K in one month?

Never mind I read the other posts and I should be OK.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Square Credit Card Reader

ryantimm wrote:

What if you using Wifi on a secure router? We just got an ipad so we can use the sqaure. If your using a smart phone then it's 3g or 4g, are you saying the 3-4g information is not secure?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Jaboogy

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Square Credit Card Reader

... i love using square! i do a lot of t&i shots and it's great for getting those orders from parents that "only have a credit card" with them. having square has allowed an increase in sales due to credit card acceptability for those last minute purchases from parents.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Square Credit Card Reader

Thats what a CC salesman tried telling me. That the info is not secure and anyone with the know how can hack the over the air info IF they are monitoring it........big IF.

Makes sense that IF all of your info is secure, then Square would be secure too.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Square Credit Card Reader

If you get the right merchant with the right kind of Authorize.net, you can easily get sub 2% rates. I pay $5 a month, and all of the debit cards are at 1.6%, most credit cards at 2.2%, and the rewards at 2.7%. It's only worth it if you do a lot though...low volume Square has the best approach.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Square Credit Card Reader

I'm a Square reader person too. It's just easier and all my shoots are already programmed into Register which means 1 touch purchasing for anyone in my company. I also supply clients with Square readers so they can swipe their payments to me whenever.

Jun 23, 2012 at 01:26 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Square Credit Card Reader

I use it for some clients, but still prefer checks.

It's 3.5% if you key the card too. Not so great.

Jun 23, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Tanner_J
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Square Credit Card Reader

My main business is T&I and we can do close to $10,000 of sales in a day and have never ever had a problem.

Up until Square people had to write their credit card information on the order form. We had to run them when we got home and found that some cards would come back declined, we would contact the buyer and they would never get back to us; so we lost out on money. Now with Square we can run the cards on the spot and if it doesn't work we get a different card. I can honestly say sales have risen because of Square. Not everyone carries cash or checks and at the last minute people who aren't prepared can buy, when normally they wouldn't.

People really like the receipt feature too.

As far as the deposit limits if we swipe it all the money goes in. We had our keyed-in limit raised and now it's $2000 every 7 days.

Jun 23, 2012 at 03:01 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Square Credit Card Reader

G-Gore wrote:
Just make sure you dont go over $1000 per month with your transactions. If u do then whole deposit schedule will be delayed.

We called them and told them we charge thousands at a time when we book weddings. They asked two or three questions and we were made into an unlimited acct. square is amazing. We use it constantly for booking weddings, prints, etc. love it so much!

Jun 23, 2012 at 03:07 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password