Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

2x D800 = $6000
2x SB...800 (since SB900 has overheating-prevention issues)?... = $700

14-24 f/2.8 = $2000
35 f/1.4 = $1600
85 f/1.4 = $1600
70-200 f/2.8 VR = $2400

Batteries = $200

So about $14600, roughly $15k...

If I sell....
5D II = $1800
5D x 2 = $750 each = $1500
40D = $300 if that much

4x 580EX v1 = $1000

16-35L II = $1100
24L II = $1200 (god took such a huge loss here)
35L = $1000
50L = $1100
85L II = $1400 maybe? Only one that hasn't completely TANKED...god I lost $500 on the 50L, $700 on the 24L after a stupid repair that wasn't my fault...could have bought another lens with the money lost between them...
135L = $750
70-200 f/2.8 IS v1 = $1200?
Sigma 15mm fisheye = $500
Tamron 28-75 = $250

Grand total...$13100

That is incredibly painful. All because Canon's AF sucks in everything but their most expensive pro cameras....which I can't afford. I would lose my fisheye, security of having 4 cameras for backup...

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

You won't have a decent Nikon setup until you are in the $20,000 - $30,000 range.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:15 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

This would be a barebones wedding setup for me. I couldn't feel comfortable shooting a whole wedding without this as a minimum.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:18 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #4 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

Also going down 2 flashes.

Will you need any computing changes? Hard drives, Ram, CPU ect?

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #5 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

If you can afford to make this switch, then you can afford to just upgrade to the proper Canon bodies, then you would be able to keep you 50L, 85L, and 135L, because Nikon has no match for those lenses.

I did exactly what you're contemplating when the 5D2 was announced, then I quickly came back to Canon after I realized the shortcomings of Nikon's lens lineup.

Keep your 5D2, sell your other bodies, and pick up a 1D3. You won't regret it, and it won't cost much, if anything.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #6 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

form wrote:
That is incredibly painful. All because Canon's AF sucks in everything but their most expensive pro cameras....which I can't afford. I would lose my fisheye, security of having 4 cameras for backup...

It depends... Look what you gain: a brand new setup with two state of the art cameras and the best UWA zoom ever built...

Do not think please that for me as a Nikon user to go for D800 is not painful... In fact for me it costs almost 3000 EUR.... and I've got only 1250 EUR on my D700....

But I am happy to be on the dark side!

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:27 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I put together an i7-2600K with 16gb ram last year, so my computer is fine. I wouldn't shoot at the full resolution all the time anyway, rather I would use the medium size ~20megapixel setting most of the time, except for formals.

Not switching would be more expensive than switching: Canon 1Dx = $6800 each. If I were to sell my cameras I would have to spend another $10k just to have two bodies. Basically, that means selling off ALL of my other equipment...so I would have no lenses and 2 bodies.

1D3 = useless to me. I shoot full frame for weddings, I don't really like the look of anything else after using crop cameras exclusively for the first 3-4 years of my photography experience. Also, 10 megapixels isn't enough for me to consider as anything but a backup camera, AND I don't need anything near 10fps for anything I do. 1D3, 1DIV, 1Dx all have features I don't need and they are much bigger bodies. I only need 4-5fps and full frame, with 12.8 megapixels being my current minimum comfortable level and highly preferring 16-20mp. And, the camera has to do ISO3200 very cleanly if need be.

Canon doesn't offer any camera that fits all of my needs except for the extremely expensive 1Dx.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:30 PM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.1 #8 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

A GREAT kit for sure. If you went with the Sigma 85 1.4 and Tokina 16-28 you would have enough to have a d7000 as backup with almost 700 left over get a 50 1.8G and other goodies you may like....The Nikon 14-24 is so GREAT so that one is hard but the Sigma is on par with the Nikon ... in my eyes anyway..

Nikon has some real nice older AIS and AI Fisheyes. The 8mm is super cool if you are that crazy about fish eye ...

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:30 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I would never go Sigma for any lens that I need to have critical focus accuracy and consistency and good tracking abilities. I went with them for a fisheye because it's ultrawide and doesn't need to be focused away from infinity 99% of the time.

My kit is very big, only lacking a tilt-shift and macro lens. I spend most of my shooting time with 35mm and 85mm. I rarely use 135mm, and I bought the 50mm only because I got tired of 85mm having too long a minimum focus distance when working in closer quarters. I wanted to be able to be above or below and still be within focusing distance. The lens is not spectacular to me and I could easily live without it. The 50L and 24L were my biggest disappointments by far, and the most expensive mistakes I made. However, even if I sold both of them and all of my cameras I still wouldn't have enough for ONE 1Dx...

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #10 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

Maybe you should just wait and see what Canon offers in the very near future?

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #11 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

My first suggestion if you make the switch is to watch the buy/sell here on FM for mint lenses and that will save you some significant money. Mint 14-24's go for around $1500 and the 70-200's for just under 2k. So based on what you posted for pricing that alone would save you about $1,000. My next question is do you really need that many bodies? If so with the money you saved on the glass you could pick up a nice used D300 or D7000 as a third body. Good luck with your decision.

Jack

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:48 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I need 2 bodies, strongly prefer 3. Don't need 4.

$1k really won't make or break the deal. It's currently still out of my reach to make the switch because I don't have any money to invest in addition to the switch and the loss of so many of my lenses would be very difficult to handle.

But I really wish I could...

Yes I AM waiting to see if Canon does anything smart (for me anyway)...but at this point I really doubt they will.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #13 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I tell you.... YOU WON'T regrade it.
I did something similar a few years ago. I had my Canon 20D and 5D with a whole bunch of lenses.
I sold all, and switched to Nikon. I don't even remember the name of the... what was is? Canon?
I love Nikon. Lenses with Nano crystal coating are just incredible. The D3 or D4 body is amazing and now the D800/E with 36MP for $3000, can't beat that.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:56 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

buy sb-600's instead....i've got an sb-800, and 2 600's, and i honestly cant tell the difference between the 2....and the sb-700's are prob even LESS of a difference...the only reason to get an sb-800 over the 600 is if you need to run CLS as a master (which the D800 can do with the pop-up flash), or if you NEED the PC socket that's on the sb-800...which i THOUGHT i did, until i added an 1/8" female jack to my sb-600, which does the same thing...also, you could save another 1k if you get a D700 in favor of one of the 800's, or 2k if you get a d7k in favor of one....just a thought....might not be for you....

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:11 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #15 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I think you can probably same some money on most of the equipment if you shopped used market obviously the d800 can't be bought used but the lenses can. The only think I have ever bought new was my 50mm, and my sb800s, everything else I bought used and saved a ton of money. Could make the switch over less painful. I'm seeing a signifcant jump in nikon equipment in the craiglistings since the announcments of the d800. Not just bodies but lenses, flashes being sold to fund the new purchases.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

There was a time when Canon lenses were so superior that making the switch for a better body simply was untenable for most shooters. Add to that the fact that Canon lenses were generally much less expensive when purchased new or were much more available at affordable prices when bought used. But a few things have changed since then. First, Nikon has introduced some great new AF lenses. Yes, there are still some holes in their lens lineup, but I doubt anyone would complain about the main zooms or the upgraded primes. Secondly, the price of Canon lenses has gone through the roof, effectively eliminating that advantage. If one is fortunate enough to have first version of a few of those classics in their kit, wonderful. But anyone excited about the new EF 24-70 f/2.8 II that goes for just under $2,300?

If you can pull this off, I think you'll be very happy in the long run. The D800 looks like a monster of a camera and will surely end up in my kit eventually. But I'm not a professional shooter, so one D700 and a few good lenses work fine for me. The kit you're proposing looks like a winner. Yes, you might save a few bucks buying used and from my experience selling Canon lenses late last year I'm inclined to think you can do better on a couple of lenses you list. That's all nibbling at the edges. First you need to wrap your mind around the possibility of making such a radical change. I left Canon after realizing the 5D Mark II missed the boat so badly that I really couldn't trust Canon any longer. I have NO regrets over making the change. I hear very few folks who made the same choice lamenting their decision. Now it is up to you... Good luck sorting it out.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:17 PM
jasonhupe
• •
p.1 #17 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

This post reminds me why I only buy lens used.
You have to remember how much money those bodies and lens made you as well, switching is never apples to apples.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #18 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

making a long list of camera gear?

what is the point of this list in the first place?

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:21 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #19 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

I think the op is just pointing out how painful the switch over could be if he jumps ship. It's interesting for other canon people right about now.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:24 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · So...about $15k to have a workable setup in Nikon...

Given that you are so invested and LIKE the equipment you have, why not wait till canon announces the replacement.

For me, I started the switch 3 months ago, still a work in progress (70% done). If it were not for my affinity for the sig50/sig85, I would still be shooting canon. (I am pleased so far though)

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password