Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

jamesf99
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

I'll edit it this to clarify. For my fast typing, I apologize. Mea Culpa.

Title: 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

New title [Using the]7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera [such as the speculated 5 series]

"?" question marks mean I'm asking a question, not telling the experienced 7d users anything.

-------------------------------

OK, I've never owned - or shot - a 7d, so I can't speak from experience, but I've read enough assessments [of the 7d's capabilities] and have owned enough 1-series and 5-series cameras to know how much they differ [to clarify, I meant between the 1 and 5 series]. I've often wondered why anyone, using any Canon camera, would want the 7d AF in anything.

Why would anyone set their sights so low? Why accept another crippled AF system like that found in the 7d (and yes, it absolutely is crippled [compared to the 1 series] even if it's better than the circa 1995 [call it 1999 if you want, but still old, old old} stuff we have in the 5 series)? I see it all the time here and have never understood it.

Can someone please explain, with rational points about why you think trading one crippled system for one that is only slightly less crippled is a good thing? Are we just beggars waiting for Canon to drop something into our cups?

Personally, I have no desire to see the crippled 7d AF show up in another body, even if it is better than the one-usable AF point in the 5 series.

Note: to apologists or those that insist the 5 series AF is fine, just move along and be happy.

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 03:16 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

This needed a whole new thread?

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:04 PM
palmor
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

I guess I'm just wondering what is so crippled about the 7d AF?

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:30 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 06:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:37 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

jamesf99 wrote:
Why would anyone set their sights so low?

Obviously many (most?) people would prefer 1-series AF over 7-series--I just think it's a case of being realistic. The reality of being disappointed with anything less is still there, so hoping for 'decent' seems a lot safer than banking on 'best', if that makes any sense.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:40 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

When I owned a 7D some time ago, I found the AF system to be fantastic. Very flexible, and configurable. Orientation-sensing auto AF points, etc. The AF on my 1DmkIV was a bit faster, and more accurate- but the 7D AF was fine. If the 5DmkII had the AF system from the 7D, I never would have sold it.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

palmor wrote:
I guess I'm just wondering what is so crippled about the 7d AF?

Because saying everything Canon is crippled is the new fad. And Canon has done it to us on purpose. We had no choice when we gave them our money. There were no internet reviews, or forums where people could say how awful this crap was that they were jamming down our throats. And now we're stuck with it and we can't even take pictures any more.

To the OP: Sell all your Canon gear - or give it to the goodwill, its not worth much anyway. Then buy the new Nikon D800 and all your life wishes will be fulfilled. And please move over to the Nikon forum where you can gloat over how bounteous your life is.

No emoticons necessary for this post.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:45 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Because saying everything Canon is crippled is the new fad.

Oh c'mon now...it has nothing to do with being a "fad" and everything to do with what the competition (Nikon) is offering.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:55 PM
gpop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

1) OK, I've never owned - or shot - a 7d, so I can't speak from experience....

2) I've often wondered why anyone, using any Canon camera, would want the 7d AF in anything.

seems legit.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:11 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

TROLL ALERT !!

5D can't focus...

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

Heaven forbid anyone want anything better than 5D autofocus. I mean, who could possibly make use of more than one good AF point? What is this, the year 1989?

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:18 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

Please give respect to OP which is a senior FM member and a senior citizen .

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:20 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

deepbluejh wrote:
Heaven forbid anyone want anything better than 5D autofocus. I mean, who could possibly make use of more than one good AF point? What is this, the year 1989?

You mean people actually believe a ~3K camera should perform better than a sub 1K camera in terms of AF? Appalled is what I am...appalled.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:24 PM
palmor
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

deepbluejh wrote:

The OP just doesn't want a better AF, he specifically says he doesn't want the 7d's "crippled" AF. IMO there isn't anything crippled about it so I'm confused with that statement.

I shoot both the 7d and 1d III and the differences in AF are fairly small. The AF systems are different which doesn't mean that the 7d AF is crippled. Actually the 7d has spot focusing that I don't believe even the 1d IV has.. and something I'd imagine the FF crowd would really like with the much narrower DOF.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

Sorry MVers, just fighting hyperbole with hyperbole. These are interesting times for gear heads, lots of new stuff to think and speculate about but many are making it sound like the demise of Canon because another top rated camera manufacturer comes out with what is specified to be a top rated camera. This thread, for example, assumes that because D800 AF might be better than 7D AF that the 7D was maliciously passed of as a crippled camera. I think the OP is deserving of some serious flaming.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:30 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

palmor wrote:
The OP just doesn't want a better AF, he specifically says he doesn't want the 7d's "crippled" AF. IMO there isn't anything crippled about it so I'm confused with that statement.

I believe by 'crippled' he is referring to the fact that it's not 1-series AF, so relatively speaking (at least in comparison to Nikon's offerings). Personally I wouldn't have used that descriptive, but I know what he (James) means. Aside from that I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, deepbluejh's comment's were not in response to the OP, rather several other posts following the original post.

I'll leave the OP to it from here on out

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:33 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

I'll try to take this thread seriously and assume it's not just a rant.

Assumption #1) the 7D has "crippled" AF
Assumption #2) the 7D should have had the best AF available by Canon - pro-series customizable 45-point AF
Assumption #3) the mythical, non-crippled, 45-point AF 7D should cost the same(?)
Assumption #4) Nikon doesn't cripple their cameras (closest competitors were the D90 (11-point), D300S (51-point)

I would say that all camera manufacturers, just like most companies, make compromises in 99.9% of their products to meet the demands of their customers, while providing price points for a range of consumer pocketbooks.

My personal take on the Canon vs Nikon feud:
Canon over the past several years seems to be trying to make specific cameras for specific needs with "just good enough" for the typical consumer strategy. The 5D2 for landscape/studio. The 1D4 for sports. The 7D for wildlife/sports on a budget.
Nikon seems to take the opposite approach with do-it-all cameras that try to eke out the best feature set for each price point (high MP an obvious omission, except in the case of the D3x and D800). The D700 is an exceptional example of the do-it-all camera.

This is obviously an over-simplification of a very complex issue. For me it simply means that their are two competing companies that have products that us avid consumers care a lot about and neither will ever satisfy the wants of everyone. This is a good thing, because competition is good, and as long as we ask for more, more, more, these companies will keep deliver it.

And yes, I do like the AF on my 7D.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:40 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

I hear you OP. Why anyone will want 7D AF on 5DIII is beyond me. Look at what Nikon did with D800 for $2999.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

jamesf99 wrote:
OK, I've never owned - or shot - a 7d, so I can't speak from experience, but I've read enough assessments and have owned enough 1-series and 5-series cameras to know how much they differ. I've often wondered why anyone, using any Canon camera, would want the 7d AF in anything.

Jim, with all due respect, your not having owned/used a 7D and relying primarily on internet rhetoric to fuel your 'argument' does indeed make it seem like another post intended to rile up the natives, just for sport.

People need to calm a bit, quit using 'WTF' and 's*^t' in every other post, stop posting whiner threads about people whining in the forums, and just sit on their hands and wait and see what happens with Canon's upcoming offerings. Stopping by the forums is getting increasingly like accidentally changing the channel to kick-boxing (or whatever they call it these days).

Respectfully,

Jeff

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:43 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7d AF vs 1-series AF in a new camera

safcraft wrote:
TROLL ALERT !!

5D can't focus...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6437619643_064d4a22e7_z.jpg

Your picture proves nothing. You people should wake up and smell the coffee. It is about time we stop making excuses for Canon.

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password