Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

SKumar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Notice the lens name / designation is omitted from the ring bordering the front lens element. Also the glossy black ring that typically adorns the front of black Ls (attached to the red ring) with name / designation is missing too.

Almost as if the picture is of an early mockup. Quite like the new look though.

Older L's.

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #2 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Even tough the changes are subtle, I prefer the older look. It seems like its really the final product as B&H now has the 24-70 II on preorder and the picture is the same.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

New 24-70L II looks much nicer than old, not that that means squat.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #4 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

I like how the new styling looks.. Too bad on price.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:09 AM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Looks TSE ish

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:15 AM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #6 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

The 100L macro is bumpy like that, but it does still have the lens info...

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:44 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #7 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

The older Ls seem to frequently have redundant information on the lens, both on outer body near the edge, as well as on the ring right next to the glass. Canon may have decided to omit the text on the outside near the red ring and just sticking with the label next to the glass.

Edited on Feb 08, 2012 at 03:51 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:48 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #8 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Looks rather Nikonian to me...

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:49 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Everyone has missed the MOST obvious difference between the old and new. Who wants to guess?

(blank lines intentional)

OK - anyone notice the new lens' barrel is shortest at its widest focal length? The exact opposite of its two most recent forebears. I wonder what the hood looks like?

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:59 AM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

I do find it weird that Canon supplied only ONE photo of a new lens. If they are planning to sell them in April I would imagine that have several final prototypes made. How hard is it to take pictures from all angles?
I am very skeptical that they will be able to supply them to the stores before May.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

matejphoto wrote:
I am very skeptical that they will be able to supply them to the stores before May.

2013 given recent performance. Alas we call Canon the vapour ware kings these days.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:13 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #12 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

matejphoto wrote:
I do find it weird that Canon supplied only ONE photo of a new lens. If they are planning to sell them in April I would imagine that have several final prototypes made. How hard is it to take pictures from all angles?

It's available from a couple of very slightly different angles on the Canon Australia web site but it doesn't show you any more detail.

http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Camera-Lenses/EF24-70mm-f28L-II-USM

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:18 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #13 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Yep you're right. I am happy with the non-retro zoom design. I just hope the hood is not as huge as it's predecessor's.

dcains wrote:
Everyone has missed the MOST obvious difference between the old and new. Who wants to guess?

(blank lines intentional)

OK - anyone notice the new lens' barrel is shortest at its widest focal length? The exact opposite of its two most recent forebears. I wonder what the hood looks like?

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Its been noted in a couple of the other threads. But why would you not want the huge hood that ACTUALLY WORKS at ALL FOCAL LENGTHS ?

If the zoom is conventional then the hood is going to be not longer than the one thats on the 24-105 . unless they come up with a zooming hood

SKumar25 wrote:
Yep you're right. I am happy with the non-retro zoom design. I just hope the hood is not as huge as it's predecessor's.

Feb 08, 2012 at 09:49 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #15 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

I like the huge hood of the old one. When the weather was snowy or rainy I could still take shots as the hood kept the rain and snow off the front element. I can't say I had the same success with the hoods of any other lens in the under 24-70mm range prime or zoom. I could still shoot but had to be a lot more cautious of stray snowflakes and rain drops.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:14 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

kakomu wrote:
The older Ls seem to frequently have redundant information on the lens, both on outer body near the edge, as well as on the ring right next to the glass. Canon may have decided to omit the text on the outside near the red ring and just sticking with the label next to the glass.

That and the old ring could break, may have had to many complaints about it breaking.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

The zoom and focus rings are larger on the new design and that's a good thing. I prefer the more industrial look of the new design, especially less use of brand/model labels.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:05 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

SKumar25 wrote:
Notice the lens name / designation is omitted from the ring bordering the front lens element.

Actually, it may be there, directly opposite the thread diameter marking. It could be hidden behind the raised lip at that angle.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:19 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #19 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

BrianO wrote:
Actually, it may be there, directly opposite the thread diameter marking. It could be hidden behind the raised lip at that angle.

You are probably right Brian.

The writing is typically spread at 120 degrees. It could be behind the raised lip.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:08 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #20 · New styling for the 24-70 L II?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
But why would you not want the huge hood that ACTUALLY WORKS at ALL FOCAL LENGTHS ?

Design wise it is ingenious. Shallow on the wide end, and deep on the long end.

My only gripe is it almost doubles the length of the lens when mounted. For street and public photography it can intimidate subjects and draw attention. I have seen many people using the lens hoodless, perhaps because of this.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password