New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need a recommendation for a printer

jaehoppa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a recommendation for a printer

hi guys
it's my first time even entering this section of FM.
all of a sudden i got interested in getting a printer to print some of my pictures after my friend asked me if she could have some of my pictures to put on her wall.

i've never printed any of my pics at home. only once or twice thru a website.
I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist.
I mostly do landscape (again no pro work) but would love to take pics of my friends and give them the prints.

I guess the most important factor is my budget.
I'm thinking max $500 but would like to spend less than $400 if possible.
I don't plan to print too large. Just about 8 by 11 or slightly bigger..but probably going to print smaller most of the time.

What are my options? I don't know anything about printers.
there is a guy who's selling a brand new canon pixma 9000 II for $160 on my local CL. I don't know if I should go for that one or spend little more to get something a little better.

I mostly use sony a900 and less frequently kodak slr/n and contax n digital if that matters at all.

Thanks.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:30 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a recommendation for a printer

Printing and color management to make it work as expected is another skill set to learn. If you only have an occasional need for prints you might consider using a pro lab like WHCC.

If your requirements aren't to critical Costco makes 12 x 18 and larger photo prints very inexpensively. That's what I do. I have an 8.5 x 11 HP 8/C printer I found on sale at Costco about 8 years ago and for everything larger, or when I do portraits or friends, etc. I just have prints made at Costco. I do the Christmas cards there, uploading the photos over the net, designing the card, then picking them up the next day.

At minimum you might give it a try by spending $10 or so on some prints and you might decide you don't really need the printer.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a recommendation for a printer

Good advice from Chuck.
If you do go ahead with a printer, check out prices on a 13" wide printer. You are likely to get hooked and quickly want larger than 8x11. And if you dont, dont get a printer. HP, Canon and Epson all make fine printers. Paper choice is excellent. Going from shoot to print is enormously satisfying but often not cost efficient. There is a learning curve, cost of the printer, the inks, papers, practice runs, etc. Not trying to discourage you as I print and always look for more chances to do so.
BTW, landscapes, in my opinion, are meant to be printed large. Or at least long.

Scott

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:31 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a recommendation for a printer

The Epson R2880 is a good option.....google reviews! You can also get quality 3rd party inks and papers which dramatically reduce the costs.

The same with the Canon pro 9000.

I use both...and am very happy with them at the moment..the Canon has the edge in colour...the Epson in B+W. The Epson takes roll paper although I don't see why a custom size can't be made to allow the CAnon to do a panoramic print.

Whatever printer you buy......take the time to learn how to use it properly...loads of info on the web. Practise on A5 size prints..keep written notes on what you intended...what you achieved...with all settings etc. Sounds boring but wil pay dividends......

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:14 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a recommendation for a printer

I have a similar question on printers, I'm planning on printing postcards using pigments and good quality papers, are these two printers using pigments?
thanks

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.