Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Just been reading through the Canon board to see what they are saying about the D800.

Looks like this camera has really hit few nerves. Basically there's a whole load of Canon users saying how awesome the D800 is, how they are strongly considering jumping to Nikon and how Nikon have succeeded in offering top of the line features in their non pro/top line bodies. Something which Canon just haven't done with their 5D lines. There is descent in the ranks as they are all slagging off the 5D's pathetic AF and they are criticizing Canon for purposely crippling their non top line bodies.

Then you have the die hard Canon users trying to defend Canon and getting all uptight that people are drooling over the D800.

Is mighty entertaining.

I dropped in a quick thread to get people further riled....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1083652

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #2 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Well trolled, sir! Hats off!

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:36 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

They're saying that a lot, too, in the Wedding forum.

It's time they all switched.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:38 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Technician wrote:
Well trolled, sir! Hats off!

As an ex Canon user I think I am well placed to troll the Canon board.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #5 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

ct8282 wrote:
Sorry about that. I figured that the AF on non 1D Canons was so slow that it would send most to sleep, so I wrongly assumed you'd be interested in the D800.

My bad

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:54 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Those poor Canon people.... The truth is out there!

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Honestly initially I did not understood why Nikon is going this way with D800. Sometime back I was really exasperated with these rumors about 36MP, etc... I wanted "my" D700 replacement, with higher speed, better ISO and moderate MP... Now I see that Nikon is thinking D800 not only to fit our needs but as a tsunami for Canon users... Think a bit... apart of the sensor, speed and ISO this D800 includes everything from the flagship: AF, metering, image processor, video... hitting the canonites where they feel the most pain... especially AF wise but not only. So is the state of the art body, offering the ultimate AF, metering and image processor, with a huge sensor (with or w/o AA filter), in a weather sealed body, great video... at a decent cost... (I really was expecting a higher cost for D800).

Kudos to Nikon! I think they will sell D800 in a greater number than D700 and I believe that for next two years D800 will be the most popular FX camera everywhere in the world.

So Canon users have legitimate reasons to be angry on Canon.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:07 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Agree with much of this. The D800 has seriously hit Canon hard I think.

I have no doubt that many Canon peeps will be seriously considering their options at this point. Over the weeks and months I have read many many threads and posts from people who have jumped from Canon to Nikon, and only a tiny number from people who have gone the other way.

It seems to me that Nikon is continuing to out perform Canon and the D800 has set the benchmark very high. However, Canon would have been very aware of what Nikon were developing and I don't think they would have developed a lemon in the 5Dx/mk3. I suspect the next 5D will be a phenomenal camera which will resolve the previous complaints from the mk2. I am totally convinced of this fact.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:18 PM
thedruid
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

why, a 5Dx or 3 will arrive in short order..to me they are tools I could care less about the name.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:19 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

thedruid wrote:
why, a 5Dx or 3 will arrive in short order..to me they are tools I could care less about the name.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's 'I COULDN'T CARE LESS' for the LOVE of GOD!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Surely you can see the irony in saying you could care less when you are trying to use a statement that implies you care about as little as can be, hence saying I couldn't care less meaning that you already care to the lowest possible extent.

It's almost as ironic as the time I called my brother a son of a bitch, in front of my mum.... twice!!!

ha ha

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fstr.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Well if they all decide to switch, how is that good for us? Let em stay where they are, THAT is good for us

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:31 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Meh, I don't see any glee in seeing a bunch of people get P.O'd about the D800 (well, really P.O.'d about the 5D's lack of AF performance), but if that's what floats your boat...

Plus, I think we all need to take a deep breath because this forum is lit up like Dpreview, and that's not a compliment. There's a hell of a lot more to photography that what body one uses...but I guess it's really easy to fall into the gear-head trap when a company announces a new toy

I do find it funny that the D800's reception seems a lot warmer on the Canon boards than the Nikon's

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:49 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Really. I think most people on here are really praising the D800 now it's here.

A lot of those who said 36,p was too much seem to have come around to the idea too.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

I generally ignore the chatter about new products and like Mihai discounted the D800 when it was rumored to be 36 megapixels. I was content with my D700 and the kit of MF glass I'd built over the last couple of years. But the D800 really does appear to be a very spectacular camera, so it is hard to step aside as everyone shares their enthusiasm, or as in this thread, muses about how it affects current users of the D700. I read the long Canon thread and the usual celebration of Canon glass that makes moving to Nikon impossible. I also read the lament about Canon's failure to produce a prosumer camera with decent focusing, which is a sensible response. I say that as a transplant who moved from the 5D to the D700.

I placed my order this morning and will wait patiently with the thousands of others who've decided the D800 is simply too enticing to ignore. I'll pay for it with the last of the money I liberated by liquidating my Canon kit that included an abundance of professional lenses. So my Canon gear financed my Nikon kit. I've no complaint.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:59 PM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.1 #15 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

I find it funny, because there are hardly any mentions of new Canon bodies in the Nikon sub-forum, but every time a new Nikon body is released they go crazy......

and we all know they love to troll in here too.......

HI Canon guys!!!! love ya!!! your white lenses are cute!!

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:00 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

lexdiamonnyc wrote:
I find it funny, because there are hardly any mentions of new Canon bodies in the Nikon sub-forum, but every time a new Nikon body is released they go crazy......

and we all know they love to troll in here too.......

HI Canon guys!!!! love ya!!! your white lenses are cute!!

Pah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I recently noticed the same. They spend a lot of time discussing Nikon stuff, but I rarely see a Canon discussion pop up on the Nikon board.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 09:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Uncle Homer

p.1 #17 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Now children..when in the sandbox don't make fun of the other children's toys. Remember your toys don't make you what you are...YOU make you what you think you are!

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:05 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

Uncle Homer wrote:
Now children..when in the sandbox don't make fun of the other children's toys. Remember your toys don't make you what you are...YOU make you what you think you are!

lol. true true.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Jim Gilley
• •
p.1 #19 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

I'm a turncoat who bailed on Nikon in 1999; have been shooting Canon EOS ever since, but as of today (with D800E pre-order) I'm coming back. The 5D2 is a great camera for 2008, but this is 2012 and the 5D3 is nowhere to be found. Even more disappointing is that the rumors suggest the 5D3 will have about the same pixel count as the 5D2, perhaps even less (like the 1DX). So I'm coming back to Nikon. But there is more to it than that.

Everyone knows that life is not exclusively about pixel count, but it is equally foolish to say that pixels do not matter and that 10MP is all you really need. For my purposes, a high pixel count is highly desirable. There are things out there that 21MP just doesn't pick up. Canon seems to be marching in the other direction, suggesting that fewer pixels are better and that their "magic" pixels are worth more than regular pixels, if you're inclined to believe such nonsense.

It will also be refreshing to have an AF system that might actually work. I wouldn't know what that's like, since I've shot with a 5D2 and 1D4 the past several years; neither of which has AF that works well enough for my needs (I use MF with live view). If the D800 has usable AF, so much the better; if not, no big deal.

It will also be nice to be able to use decent wide angle glass on the system it was designed for. Although I truly love Canon's big telephoto lenses, everything they make shorter than 50mm is pretty much junk by any reasonable standard. I think nearly all landscape folks that shoot Canon have been very envious of Nikon ever since the 14-24 came out several years ago. Canon seems unwilling or unable to do anything about that.

Canon just doesn't seem to understand that not everyone is interested in video, and not everyone is a sports shooter or PJ. They used to get it. The 1Ds was truly revolutionary back in 2002. It makes me sad to think how rapidly Canon advanced from 2000 to 2002, but has done nothing in the past 4 years. Nikon, I think, gets it; or at least, that's how I read the D800 release. And for the sports guys, there's the D4. Canon left the landscape folks high and dry when they effectively abandoned the 1Ds3 and (apparently are failing to make the 5D3 a competitor to the D800).

But as I said at the beginning, I have no brand loyalty. Both Nikon and Canon make some fine equipment, but it's important to go with what will work best for your needs. I sold off a huge Nikon system in 1999, so it should be no problem to sell off an even bigger Canon system now. Thanks to inflation and used equipment, I might actually make money instead of losing it (except for the bodies).

Let's just hope we can get our hands on the D800 in a reasonable time frame. I have a suspicion that Nikon grossly underestimated the demand for these. I hoping to get mine no later than August.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:47 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.1 #20 · Ha ha! Canon board is worth a read

This is some funny stuff. I don't have time to go read the Canon thread (been there, done that) but I can imagine they'd be in a huff. I was in the same huff after the D700 was announced because it was everything "my" Canon 3D was supposed to be and I was certain, had no doubts, that the 5D Mark II was going to be my dreamed of 3D, but they didn't change a darn thing with the AF on the 5D Mark II, I was fuming. But I did buy a 5D Mark II and I also bought a D700 and some nice Nikkor lenses and shot them together for about 9 months and finally decided why do I keep hanging on to Canon so I sold off the rest of my Canon gear and outside of a couple lenses I wish Nikon had, I haven't looked back. The D700 was so far superior to anything I had from Canon (including 1D series) and the IQ from the D700 was so much nicer than what I saw from Canon that switching ultimately became a no brainer.

I am now one of the Nikonians who is fussing and complaining about the D800 (solely because of its MP count) and how they could replace my beloved 12MP beauty with such a beast, but it is going to appeal to some and for the Canonites who said they could sacrifice AF for more MP, well I guess Nikon just stepped hard on their toes

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:48 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password