Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · I think Nikon has delivered

leftymgp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I think Nikon has delivered

Really tough to come to any conclusions since we can only compare a camera that's been out for a few years vs. a camera that's just been announced that you can't even buy yet.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM
jph1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I think Nikon has delivered

The D800 looks more suited to landscape and studio. The rumored Canon 5Dx looks to be more of a high iso camera, for weddings or travel...

We'll have to wait and see. Kind of funny though, just the opposite of 5d2 and D700.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:26 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I think Nikon has delivered

Why is removing the aa filter good?

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:34 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I think Nikon has delivered

jph1 wrote:
The D800 looks more suited to landscape and studio. The rumored Canon 5Dx looks to be more of a high iso camera, for weddings or travel...

We'll have to wait and see. Kind of funny though, just the opposite of 5d2 and D700.

In some respects you are right. However, the D800 has a class leading AF system, metering etc etc and at 4 or 5fps would also be a great wedding/travel camera. The %D mk2 was just floored in general unless your subjects weren't moving.

However, there are many great wedding photogs who use the 5D mk2 very successfully. In the hands of skilled photogs these things don't need to be limitations.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:35 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I think Nikon has delivered

i'm a nikon shooter (d3), just came over here to see what you guys were thinking. i for one am really torn about the d800...i don't want or need all of the extra mp but would have liked to have a faster fps rate when needed. the d800 is mostly brilliant at least on paper, but i'm not sure it will be for everyone. the curious camera to me in some ways becomes the d4. granted it is the 'flagship' of the nikon line, but it is also twice the price of the d800 and for that you get much faster fps, a slightly better build quality, better low light shooting, and a lot less resolution. really not much else of real significance. doesn't seem worth the extra $3k, but pricing of products like this is as much about product positioning and encouraging certain consumer behavior as it is about marginal cost/revenue. i want one (d4), but the price point seems very high relative to the d800...which seems like a relative bargain to me. i think my d3 will have to shoulder on for a while longer...

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 08:37 PM · View previous versions

ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I think Nikon has delivered

RobertLynn wrote:
Why is removing the aa filter good?

Sharper detail.

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I think Nikon has delivered

Fair enough, so I will play. I shoot a lot of landscapes and portraits. I don't shoot any sport and do very little wildlife photography. So the D800/D800E is looking very attractive to me ... especially since I do a lot of cropping too. But I am not ready to part with my 24L II and 85L II and 70-200L II .... yet. I am holding my breath for the 5DX or 5D III. If it has 24-ish megapixels with an excellent AF system and clean files with low noise, I will stick with Canon.

If the 5DX or 5D III specs and feature set is disappointing to me, I will migrate to Nikon. Seriously I am hoping it won't come to that as I would rather remain with Canon.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:40 PM
kipster

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I think Nikon has delivered

As someone who had Nikon in the 70s and has now switched back and forth two complete times, (at pain to the wallet of course) all I can say is what goes goes around comes around.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:52 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
Ok, I'll concede that maybe there was a hint of trolling. For that I am sorry (am still genuinely interested).

So will you now concede that, 1D and D4 range aside, Nikon whoops the absolute poop out of Canon??

You are so childish. You've already admitted trolling over here in Nikon forum.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:10 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
I think 36 MP is very interesting, but not so interesting that I need to read or post in the Nikon forum.

I find it astounding how many people think that Canon (or Nikon or Pentax or ...) owes them this camera or that camera.

There are so many hard-working wage slaves trying to support singlehandedly the economy of Japan by constantly buying new cameras. They all seem to be such great photographers that they are severely limited by their equipment.

I'm hoping for less whining from the people who are dramatically threatening to sell everything and switch to Nikon. If they really
...Show more

Got the moonrise yesterday. I think today it is too late, at least up here as it will be totally dark when it crests the mountains. Yesterday we had a very nice blue/purple sky as the moon rose.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I think Nikon has delivered

Yes, it looks to me that Nikon have delivered a watershed camera, an ultra high resolution pro body near the crucial 5D2/D700 price tag. I suspect the D800 will do for Nikon what the original 5D did for Canon. A camera for all the competition to emulate.

It will be interesting to see what Canon's eventual reply to the D800 will be. It has certainly raised the bar for the 5D3 to equal.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:15 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I think Nikon has delivered

I would bet that the new Mark III will be in the 30 something MP range. As I noted on another D-800 Nikon board, Cannon must have operatives working for Nikon. Corporate spying is an art in Japan. If I were a Canon user, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 800

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:16 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I think Nikon has delivered

You are so childish. You've already admitted trolling over here in Nikon forum.

And it's my 30th birthday tomorrow. I started a legitimate thread and get pointless responses like 'yawn'.

My question was posed to Canon users yet it has been moved to the Nikon board.

Fred, you might as well just delete it as there plenty of D800 discussions on the Nikon board already.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:18 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I think Nikon has delivered

OK Fred time to move this useless thread to the "other" forum.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:23 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I think Nikon has delivered

+1

Go back from whence you came Troll!!!!

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:43 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
Sharper detail.

What's the trade off? Ithink I read before that people got their 5D's modded to do this. Isn't the risk increased moire?

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:28 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · I think Nikon has delivered

RobertLynn wrote:
What's the trade off? Ithink I read before that people got their 5D's modded to do this. Isn't the risk increased moire?

Yes. That in a nutshell is the downside, but unless you are regularly shooting architecture or studio stuff with repeating patterns/lines you will not need to be too concerned with moire.

However, I am not very knowledgeable on this so take what I am saying with a pinch. Perhaps someone with greater techy know how can comment....

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:34 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · I think Nikon has delivered

I had to double check the URL...I thought I accidentally went to dpreview. We should try and keep the high school kids away by deleting these threads.

Feb 08, 2012 at 01:34 AM
40Driggs
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · I think Nikon has delivered

If I had the funding to invest in a high end system, than I might make the switch.

My interest is mostly in wildlife photography, but I also like to shoot other things (landscapes, portraits of son, street shots etc.). It seems like this camera could pull off all of those things nicely. 36MP files for excellent landscape and portrait detail, a DX mode with 15.6 MP (excellent idea btw) for wildlife as well. With the grip I could also pull off 6 FPS in DX mode which would be useable for wildlife. Seems like a very well rounded camera for almost anyone really.

One thing that would really make this camera nice, would be an mRaw and sRaw option like Canon uses. This would allow users to have smaller files when you didn't need 36MP and would save some PP time. Fairly easy to do in post though, so it's not a big deal. I really wish that canon would steal the DX crop mode idea from Nikon!

Sadly, I don't have the money to make a FF system worth it for me right now. I'll keep on using the 7D and 100-400 combo for a while and keep an eye on things. This camera definitely did get my attention and I would love a 200-400 VR. I know that canon will be releasing their version soon, but with current pricing trends I'm expecting a ridiculous price...

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:48 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · I think Nikon has delivered

Fred, thanks for moving the garbage where it belongs.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:16 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password