Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I think Nikon has delivered

So what does the Canon camp think about the new D800 and D800E....?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/index.htm

This is a serious question so please can you not bother with comments like, 'who cares, we use Canon', or 'so what, this is the Canon board'.

I am very curious to know what you Canon peeps think about this camera. There are already many people on the Nikon board saying they will be jumping ship from Canon to Nikon because of this beauty.

What Nikon have done is taken most of the great features from their flagship D4 and put them into the D800. AF will be incredible, resolution is phenomenal, Dynamic range and tonal qualities are superb. What Canon have historically done is omitted many of the good features from their 1D range to keep a clear differentiation between their 5D and 1D lines. I think this is to Canon's detriment and I think the D800 is a serious bit of kit at a great price point. Nikon have not left anything out and have not purposely fallen short on features. They have loaded both the D4 and D800 with the good stuff!

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I think Nikon has delivered

Yawn.

[on edit: Note to gentle readers: The OP posted this in the Canon forum with the explicitly stated purpose (stated in the Nikon forum) of trolling. Several hours later, Fred rightly took exception to trolling and slapped ct8282 down by moving it to the Nikon section.]

Edited on Feb 09, 2012 at 11:48 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:53 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I think Nikon has delivered

There is already a million page thread on this topic. You'll find it somewhere in the first 10 threads listed.

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:55 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I think Nikon has delivered

There is already a 7, maybe 8-page thread on this forum talking almost exclusively about the D800
I would look there for opinions (hint - most people seem to kudos Nikon for the move).

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
So what does the Canon camp think about the new D800 and D800E....?

I've shot Canon professionally for the past 10 years, and for the past couple of years I've felt at a disadvantage to Nikon shooters mostly because of the autofocus.

I like a smaller form camera body with full frame and great AF, and Canon does not currently offer that and Nikon does. If not for the investment I have in Canon lenses I'd have switched a few months ago, as it stands now if I can't get a 5D3 with good AF by April or May it's goodbye Canon.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:01 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I think Nikon has delivered

I think Nikon has finally realized that 12mp FF is really fine back in 2005 but was happy to sucker up many consumers. But alas, Nikonians realized that image detail is important. Nikon also woke up realizing how much money they have lost for missing out in the hdslr scene.

I think Nikon is catching up. We waited long enough!

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:04 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
Yawn.

Keeping you awake? Sorry about that

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:05 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
Keeping you awake? Sorry about that

Nah. You're putting lots of us to sleep.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:06 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I think Nikon has delivered

I really like the recent offerings from Nikon. Doubt I'll switch due to my lenses, but wish Canon had announced something more than an update to the 24-70 at almost DOUBLE the price of the old one. I wouldn't want 75+mb files all the time, but it would be nice to have the high res option for landscapes at least. I do think it's funny how they kept saying that high res wasn't important and then they triple the pixels on the camera.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:14 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I think Nikon has delivered

JohnBrose wrote:
I really like the recent offerings from Nikon. Doubt I'll switch due to my lenses, but wish Canon had announced something more than an update to the 24-70 at almost DOUBLE the price of the old one. I wouldn't want 75+mb files all the time, but it would be nice to have the high res option for landscapes at least. I do think it's funny how they kept saying that high res wasn't important and then they triple the pixels on the camera.

Many many people have said that 36mp is too much and they wouldn't want or need such high resolutions all the time. The interesting thing is that you have 18 possible resolutions you can choose...

FX format (36 x 24): 7,360 x 4,912 (L), 5,520 x 3,680 (M), 3,680 x 2,456 (S)
1.2x (30 x 20): 6,144 x 4,080 (L), 4,608 x 3,056 (M), 3,072 x 2,040 (S)
DX format (24 x 16): 4,800 x 3,200 (L), 3,600 x 2,400 (M), 2,400 x 1,600 (S)
5:4 (30 x 24): 6,144 x 4,912 (L), 4,608 x 3,680 (M), 3,072 x 2,456 (S)
FX-format photographs taken in movie live view*: 6,720 x 3,776 (L), 5,040 x 2,832 (M), 3,360 x 1,888 (S)
DX-format photographs taken in movie live view*: 4,800 x 2,704 (L), 3,600 x 2,024 (M), 2,400 x 1,352 (S)

Don't want 36mp's, switch to medium FX and enjoy 20mp, switch the small and you have effectively 9mp.

If I bought the D800 I would probably use it in medium FX mode but crank it up when I was doing some serious landscape or studio work. I think the camera is more versatile than people give it credit for.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:

Sorry about that. I figured that the AF on non 1D Canons was so slow that it would send most to sleep, so I wrongly assumed you'd be interested in the D800.

My bad

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I think Nikon has delivered

The D800 is a good camera. It hasn't magically caused my camera to make bad pictures all of a sudden. Am I so impatient for a new camera to make better pictures that I have to jump ship? Nope.

I'm not very often limited by my camera. If I had the latest and greatest of any brand at any price, it would be the same.

Most of the time, my camera is limited by me.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:36 PM
slee915
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I think Nikon has delivered

You want to have a Serious discussion, yet on the Nikon board you said:

I dropped in a quick thread to get people further riled....

Stop trolling

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:37 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
The D800 is a good camera. It hasn't magically caused my camera to make bad pictures all of a sudden. Am I so impatient for a new camera to make better pictures that I have to jump ship? Nope.

I'm not very often limited by my camera. If I had the latest and greatest of any brand at any price, it would be the same.

Most of the time, my camera is limited by me.

This is a very valid point indeed. I would suggest that this is indeed the case for most users. I would never have sufficient ability to push any of these cameras to their limits and the only thing restricting the quality and output of my photo's is me. Not my camera gear.

I have always said that the arguing about which system or which camera is better is completely silly. There's no point arguing that the 1Dx is better than the D4 or vice versa. In reality they are both incredible and will far exceed the capabilities of most who use them.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:48 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I think Nikon has delivered

slee915 wrote:
You want to have a Serious discussion, yet on the Nikon board you said:

I dropped in a quick thread to get people further riled....

Stop trolling

Sorry. I am not trolling or trying to cheese anyone off. When I started the thread I genuinely wanted to see what the reaction from the Canon camp has been to the D800 announcement.

I suspect you guys will be in for a treat with the 5Dx/mk3 when it is announced. I am more than confident that Canon have listened to the feedback about the 5D mk2 shortcomings and most of these will be addressed with the mk3.

However, the D800 will take some beating.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
Sorry. I am not trolling or trying to cheese anyone off. When I started the thread I genuinely wanted to see what the reaction from the Canon camp has been to the D800 announcement.

That's what you say when caught red-handed. Actually reading the numerous threads already running, some with obvious titles, was beyond you or did not suit your trolling purpose.

Just stop.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:52 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:

Monito, I've noticed you consistently posting in these D800 threads implying you are not interested. Well what is it...are you interested in the D800 or do you just endlessly post jibberish into these threads?

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I think Nikon has delivered

chez wrote:
Monito, I've noticed you consistently posting in these D800 threads implying you are not interested. Well what is it...are you interested in the D800 or do you just endlessly post jibberish into these threads?

I think 36 MP is very interesting, but not so interesting that I need to read or post in the Nikon forum. [on edit: after posting this, the thread was moved from the Canon to the Nikon forum.]

I find it astounding how many people think that Canon (or Nikon or Pentax or ...) owes them this camera or that camera.

There are so many hard-working wage slaves trying to support singlehandedly the economy of Japan by constantly buying new cameras. They all seem to be such great photographers that they are severely limited by their equipment.

I'm hoping for less whining from the people who are dramatically threatening to sell everything and switch to Nikon. If they really did it instead of talking about it, they'd have more effect.

... If they really are that impatient.

Canon and Nikon play a much longer term game than the hyper-active consumers who are kvetching so much about recent offerings. I'm sorry if you find that perspective gibberish.

You'll be glad to know that I won't be posting for a little while as I go to make some photos of the moonrise, cloud cover permitting.

Edited on Feb 08, 2012 at 01:12 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:07 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
That's what you say when caught red-handed. Actually reading the numerous threads already running, some with obvious titles, was beyond you or did not suit your trolling purpose.

Just stop.

Ok, I'll concede that maybe there was a hint of trolling. For that I am sorry (am still genuinely interested).

So will you now concede that, 1D and D4 range aside, Nikon whoops the absolute poop out of Canon??

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:12 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I think Nikon has delivered

It will help improve your photography I think .

ct8282 wrote:
So will you now concede that, 1D and D4 range aside, Nikon whoops the absolute poop out of Canon??

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:23 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password