Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

jakita33
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

I have read a variety of posts on different boards here that the AF system in the 7d and Mark IV are very similar and that one should expect similar results from the 2 cameras (AF wise). The reason I ask is becuase I have a 7d and don't like it all that much. At least in my experience (and I know that many of you will have had completely different experiences) the AF system is a bit quirky. I find that may times I can't explain why I am getting so many OOF imagines in scenario and situations where with my 40d I never did. This is after discounting a good deal for user error. Even after fine tuning the 7d based on a lot of reading here, I find that I am never satisfied. This my sound crazy, but I have lost faith in my camera. So much so, that I cheated on it and found a more mature camera - Mark IIdn to spend some time with. I really like the new camera and it made me think that an eventual upgrade to a Mark IV would be in the cards. Of course, then I read all the posts about the 7d and Mark IV having very similar AF systems. Any thoughts?

I am a former bird photographer who has now turned his attention to taking pics of my 5-year-old son play flag football, basketball and lax.

J

Feb 06, 2012 at 09:57 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Perhaps your 7D is one of the iffy ones?

Mine seems to focus pretty well all the time.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Last year, I sold my 7D and 1DIII to get a 1DIV. The 1DIV and 1DIII both have better AF than the 7D. The 1DIV also has relatively high pixel count, and so it gives a lot more pixels per duck (ppd) than the 1DIII. It's the best of both worlds.

You'll probably be interested in this thread.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1078473

It includes a lot of discussion on the 40D, as well.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Stu Bailey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

I was just about to post a similar story....

I upgraded from the 40D to the 7D and have the same issue. My biggest problem is shooting in low light, high ISO (like youth basketball gyms). Using the same settings, same lens as I did with my 40d, I get lots and lots of OOF. I have micro adjusted, gone through all the setting, I don't get it.

Even with no motion, I get the red square on a stationary target and the focus is off by 1-2 feet in some cases. I am going to try to send it to Canon I to see what they can do with it.

Edited on Feb 06, 2012 at 10:36 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:10 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

No contest between my 7d and 1d4; the 1d4 beats it hands down for AF.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

I'm with Jim and ragebot, whenever I know I will shooting in AF critical situations, my 1D4 is the body I turn to. 7D is hit or miss, mostly hit, but then the occasional miss that simply can't be easily explained. What I really wish is that I had my 1D3 back alongside my 1D4!

Jo

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

I still never get these 7D v mk4 threads. The only similarity between the 2 is they are both canon mount bodies.
If the mk4 couldn't out perform the 7D when it's 3x the cost then it should pack up and go home.

Oh and I now own a 7D having had a 40D and a mk2n . I've never shot a mk4 (and probably never will ) but I will say that the AF is the worst part of the 40D . It's hit rate for anything that moves is pretty dam poor. The 7D does much better. And then the mk2n is better than the 7D (by a small margin) and considering the respective costs (when new) of the bodies that's the way it should be

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

The 7D AF doesn't compare to the 1D MKIII or 1D MKIV. I really never found anything about the 7D that would make me consider it over any other camera currently out except maybe the Rebel series.

Jim

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:15 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Stu Bailey wrote:
I was just about to post a similar story....

I upgraded from the 40D to the 7D and have the same issue. My biggest problem is shooting in low light, high ISO (like youth basketball gyms). Using the same settings, same lens as I did with my 40d, I get lots and lots of OOF. I have micro adjusted, gone through all the setting, I don't get it.

Even with no motion, I get the red square on a stationary target and the focus is off by 1-2 feet in some cases. I am going to try to send it
...Show more

Hopefully they'll find something wrong with your 7D. I don't shoot basketball anymore - my low-light sport is ice hockey (1/400, f/2.8, ISO4000), and I was much happier when I upgraded from the 40D to the 7D, shooting with a 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS. The 7D is by no means perfect - I still get more OOF than I would like, but it is much better than my 40D.

In good light, the 40D and 7D are much closer.

Mark

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:17 PM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

agree with the 1DIV AF is much better than the 7D sentiment. The 1DIV seems to read my mind. The only reason I was carrying the 7D over the 1DIV was because it was lighter for walk around. Solved that problem with a 5D. Now the 7D lives in the pelican as a backup.

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Canon replaced the AF system in my 7D last week, and my first time out with it produced very similar results (very poor). It's back in the Canon shop right now. I shoot low light, fast moving dance, and if this keeps up, I'm going to have to swap it out for something else. I'm really hoping the new 1DX might be the solution, but I may not be able to wait for it (or pay for it...).

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:55 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Jim Victory wrote:
The 7D AF doesn't compare to the 1D MKIII or 1D MKIV. I really never found anything about the 7D that would make me consider it over any other camera currently out except maybe the Rebel series.

Jim

The 7D shouldn't compare to the 1dMk-anything because it's a different class of camera. For the difference in price (and 26 more focus points) the 1-series should be head and shoulders above everything else made by Canon, and it is. That being said, I find the 7D to be an outstanding camera. Having owned the 20/30/40D, and having used a 50D and 5D, I can say that the 7D is better than any crop body that Canon has produced, and I like it better than the 5D because of its vastly superior AF, improved metering, and the ability to configure the camera in so many ways. I find the image quality to be excellent, although there is a steep learning curve with this camera one must climb in order to master the camera. I have never had any issues with AF and find that I have a high rate of keepers, much higher than I've had with the previous bodies/AF systems, and also find it much easier to track subjects in motion. The 7D meets my needs perfectly; I don't need the extra features, extra ruggedness, or capabilities of the 1d4, so for me the 1-series is not a camera I would consider (I do have a 1vHS, and with that camera I learned what it means to have more camera than I actually need--I love it though!). I'm a serious hobbyist that occasionally does paying work, and with the 7D I know that I have an immensely capable camera that can withstand difficult and challenging weather conditions as well as just about any photographic situation I'm likely to encounter. For that reason there is every reason for me to consider the 7D over every other camera out there, including the 1-series. If I become a serious pro who requires the most advanced and rugged tool Canon makes, I will certainly acquire a 1-series. Until then, the 7D is more, much more than enough.

Andy

Feb 07, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Steve Wylie wrote:
Canon replaced the AF system in my 7D last week, and my first time out with it produced very similar results (very poor). It's back in the Canon shop right now. I shoot low light, fast moving dance, and if this keeps up, I'm going to have to swap it out for something else. I'm really hoping the new 1DX might be the solution, but I may not be able to wait for it (or pay for it...).

Why would you consider the as yet unknown/unreleased much more expensive 1DX before trying a lesser expensive 1D3 or 1D4? Both the 1D series will have better high ISO than the 7D for those low light shots. I was very impressed at the difference in AF and noise between the 1D series and 7D.

Jo

Feb 07, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Jo, I may very well do just that. I do love my full frame 5D, which kinda influences my thoughts about the 1DX. I use the 5D whenever I can, but in many dance venues, I just can't get my ISO up high enough with the 5D. So the 1D4 may be the best option.

Feb 07, 2012 at 12:37 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

you only live once, buy the MK IV.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:13 AM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Thanks all. Appreciate your thoughts and answers. I am going to keep trying both my cameras and see if I can bend them to my will right up until the moment I get the Mark IV. I would also like to say that I have gotten some great pics with my 7d, lots of great pics, but its always the ones you inexplicably miss that haunt you. I am not a professional by any means, but I don't want to miss a single shot of my son. I am selfish like that.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

racoll wrote:
The 7D shouldn't compare to the 1dMk-anything because it's a different class of camera.

Really? Suppose you wanted to decide which one to buy, the 7D or 1DIV. Wouldn't it make sense to compare them?

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:00 AM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

Have both the 7D and 1D Mark IV. In good light they are comparable. In low

light the 1D is far superior.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

garydavidjones wrote:
Have both the 7D and 1D Mark IV. In good light they are comparable. In low

light the 1D is far superior.

What HE said!

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7d - Mark IV AF Question

jcolwell wrote:
Really? Suppose you wanted to decide which one to buy, the 7D or 1DIV. Wouldn't it make sense to compare them?

Not really. If you have the $$ to even consider the mk4 then why would you consider a 7D .?
The 7 is a very capable camera but it does not pretend to be a 1 series.

It's like saying you want to buy a new high end car . I can't see many buyers thinking "Do I buy the 30k VW passat or the 90k merc S class"

Both cars are well speced with lots of luxury, both will carry their passengers to their destination with ease. But if you have the money to spend you would still buy the merc.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password