New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon Service

pacman642
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Service

Anyone that can share their experience about Nikon's Sevice? I had a D700 go down on me last week. I was out shooting, smelled something funny, took the lens off and a cloud of smoke came out of the body! I would appear some sort of electrical malfunction, no it didn't get wet, or anything. It about made me sick to my stomach though. Chomping at the bit to hear something and they're taking forever to do the evaluation.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Service

If you have sent the camera in and via UPS tracking know that they have it, after about 2 business days call the service/repair number and ask for an update. Hopefully you filled out the form on Nikon's repair website before sending it in, it does seem to speed things up a bit.
Good luck with the repair, sounds nasty.

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:53 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Service

I've used Nikon service in Melville NY quite a few times, and have nothing but great things to say about them. My gear always gets back to me looking and functioning like new.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:34 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Service

Nikon customer service rocks!

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:30 PM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Service

Thanks for the replies. I actually received an email from the service dept this afternoon with an estimate for the repairs. It stated zero cost to me, and I was out of warranty by about 2 months. The code they gave for repair indicated major parts replacement. I'm so thankful for that, the lady I spoke to said there's a little leeway with warranties, I guess they could have said sorry but you owe $XXX and instead stepped up and showed to me exactly why I shoot Nikon.

Feb 06, 2012 at 08:56 PM
flyingpoint
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Service

I'm a big fan of the repair folks in Melville. Check a recent post of mine --- They just completely rebuilt a 200-400 that having sporadic issues. It's now essentially a new lens. Stuff is packed well and shipped quickly.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Service

As an afterthought, did you send the lens in too? I think I might just to be safe. If the lens (mount) is what fried the camera, I wouldn't want a repeat.

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:58 AM
flyingpoint
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Service

I didn't. I checked the camera mount with another lens and it worked fine, so I just sent the lens.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:12 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Service

NS rocks, really? My D700 repair took 4 months under warranty, a lens repair out of warranty was turned around in a few weeks.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:15 AM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Service

flyingpoint wrote:
I didn't. I checked the camera mount with another lens and it worked fine, so I just sent the lens.

Sorry, I was directing my comment at the OP. I'd want to know what fried what if I were the OP.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:01 AM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Service

I didn't send the Lens that was on it, which was a 16-35 f/4. I originally thought bad battery, but none of them worked once I got home. Not considering the lens at first I ended up putting on a D7000 I keep for a back up and it worked flawlessly. Not really sure what the problem is/was.

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:50 PM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Service

I know you are asking about genuine Nikon service but there is a place out of Morton Grove, in Illinois called Authorized Photo Service that only works with Nikon gear and has a very fast turn around time.
They execute excellent work on Nikon gear at a pretty reasonable price and they used to be the largest Midwest repair station for Nikon. They can repair Nikon products under warranty.
They have done work for me and I highly recommend them. If the item in question is under warranty, Nikon is the best bet.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:39 PM
mobcoa247
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Service

Have had great luck with nikon mellville. But.. just checked my status service on some lenses that I sent in for cleaning and checkups for the upcoming season.. I had forgot about them actually until this post..

Items Received on 12/20/11 Parts Hold on

6 70-200 VR I and 1 80-200 AFS. almost 2 months is to long.. Time to look into NPS I know what tomorrow holds.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.