Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

I have had two different MF lenses, with Dandelion AF confirmation chips, not work on my 1DsMkII. BUT, they work with my other EOS cameras, a T2i & a 5DMkII.

The first one was an Olympus 35/2
The latest is a Rokinon (Samyang) 35/1.4.
On these cameras, they worked perfectly.

On the 1D series camera, nothing.
It could be rotational alignment, but they are, afterall, both EOS cameras.

As a practical matter, I will probably use the Samyang on my 5DmKII mostly because of the live view. But still this is sort of a disappointment.

The ads for the AF confirmation chips do show the Dandelion working with the 1D series.

Any experiences with this behavior?

Thanks
Dan

Feb 06, 2012 at 06:30 AM
Depp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

I think that your adapters are missing a special pin that early 1 series EOS cameras require in order to engage the AF pin/lever.Take your lens off,you'll see the AF pin/lever just above the 9:00 position,the pin on the adapter engages this.See if your adapter has a drilled and tapped hole at the same position,a threaded pin or tiny screw goes in this hole of the adapter.

Edited on Feb 06, 2012 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

It's because of the AF microswitch on 1DsII and 1DII/IIN bodies, see the first attached photo.

The lens mount flange that occupies the "9 o'clock" position when the lens is mounted, pushes against the AF microswitch. The camera thinks there is a Canon lens attached, but the camera can't communicate with the lens, and so an error condition results. A similar problem occurs when you use an EF Extender with an Alt lens - the camera recognizes the Extender, but not the lens.

One simple solution is to grind down the leading edge of the "9 o'clock" adapter flange, as I have done with my Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, see second photo.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

Choosing a good Canon-Contax C/Y adapter
^
Read both pages on this link

On the D30/60, 1D (MKI & II) and the 1Ds (MKI & II), there is a small microswitch inside the bodies' lens mount that needs to be depressed in order to turn on the AF circuitry. A standard Canon lens has its bayonets large enough to depress the switch all by itself. However, adapters have different designs. Some have that specific bayonet (there are three) designed with a knock-out, or simply machined shorter, so it didn't press against that microswitch. That was standard practice in adapter design before the AF confirm "chip'd" adapters hit the market. Now, vendors selling these chip'd adapters have a small pin added above that third bayonet that will depress the microswitch, thereby activating the AF circuitry.

one of two things is happening:

1- The presence of an AF chip on your adapter in conjunction with a microswitch that is not depressed will yield the err 01.
2- If this is not an AF chip'd adapter, and the adapter is depressing that microswitch, same err 01 result.

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

Thanks for the tips & info.
I don't have the Oly adapted lens any more,
My main issue is with a new Samyang 35.
No adapter, just EOS mount. & I've added a Dandelion AF confirm "chip"
I am not getting any error codes but AF confirm isn't working & the f-stop is zero.

On my 5DMkII, the AF confirm works & the programmed aperture displays correctly.
So will have to do some closer examination of the Samyang mount.

Dan

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:11 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

OK, now I'm a bit confused,
I have two responses saying I need a pin to activate the switch
& I have one response saying I need to grind off part of the bayonet flange to PREVENT activation of the switch..

I will take a closer look at both Canon & Alt glass mounts again....

Dan

Feb 06, 2012 at 06:11 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon 1DsMkII & AF confirmation chips issue

If the adapter flange is long enough to acuate the microswitch the camera thinks that the lens will transfer information, if it doesn't the camera throws an error.
If your adapter has a focus confirmation chip and a short flange then the camera thinks that the lens shouldn't transfer information and when it does the camera simply ignores it.
What you need is an adapter with a long flange, (or an actuating pin) AND a focus confirmation chip...............
OR, an adapter with a short flange and NO focus confirmation chip.

Feb 06, 2012 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password