Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Orthographic Panorama

Candrews9

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Orthographic Panorama

I am shooting a very complex model train layout in a room that is about 30 feet by 30 feet. The ceiling is about 6 feet above the layout, and there are a lot of hills in the layout. The ceiling has exposed metal beams that are easy to clamp to.

I thought it would be cool to shoot a panorama from above to show the whole layout. If I move the camera, I understand I am making an orthographic panorama at that point. It seems like it would be a lot more accurate than swiveling the camera.

But stitching orthographic panos is apparently a nightmare.

I am willing to rent a lens to do the job. I'll probably use a Canon 5D Mark2 to shoot, so I can use live view.

Any suggestions on the best lens for the job? How much overlap should I create? Any recommended software for orthographic panos?

Am I being silly not to just shoot a regular pano by swiveling the camera? Don't need perfection to become the enemy of the good

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Orthographic Panorama

I think your best bet to start would be to swivel to start with and see what the results are like. That's would be the easiest.

Beyond that I would think trying to rig some sort of rail system to the beams would give a result that should stitch ok.

As for the lens , well I guess that depends on how many shots you want to try and stitch together. 6 ft above won't give you much option other than wide (which probably brings its own set of issues) . A 50mm (compact macro) is probably too long but would help lessen any lens distortion. It's a great copy lens.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Orthographic Panorama

Microsoft ICE can pretty much stitch anything automatically.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password