New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Jobu Jr

PaulCal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jobu Jr

Anyone use a jobu jr with the canon 500mmf4 and a 1D series. If so how does it handle it

Thanks
Paul

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:32 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jobu Jr

Probably should be on the General Geartalk section, but maybe you can get a more specific Canon gear point of view here.
I recently picked up a 300f2.8 and was wondering about the Jobu Jr as well. It's only a little heavier than the Wimberley Sidekick only. It seems like the lightest and most compact big lens head.

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:46 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jobu Jr

Found this review website: http://naturephotographyblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/5/28/half-is-twice-as-good-jobu-jr-3.html
He uses with a 500 lens.

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jobu Jr

Ali the time and it works fine.

Not as rigid as a Wembely but not as heavy or expensive.

I have also used it with the 800L and the 400L at 12 lbs.

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:43 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jobu Jr

Psychic1 wrote:
Ali the time and it works fine.

Not as rigid as a Wembely but not as heavy or expensive.

I have also used it with the 800L and the 400L at 12 lbs.

From the Jobu site re the BWG JR3

"Recommended for:

70-200 F2.8/F4, 300mm F2.8/F4, 100-400 zoom, 150-500 zoom, 400mm F5.6, 400mm DO, etc.

Lens and camera recommended under 10lb total. Yes, this CAN work with a 500mm F4 lens, but in general we recommend that the HD2 or BWG-Pro is more adequate for MOST users shooting with big equipment. Only choose this for serious weight savings when you have severe luggage restrictions or packing size limits.

NOTE: Battery grips and pro-size bodies have limited vertical tilt depending on length of lenses, balance points, etc. Best range of tilt is with SLR's without battery grip. Example: A 70-200 F4 Canon lens with 1D size body will always balance too close to the camera body thus limiting how far the swing arm will tilt."

So how unstable is it?
Is it a waste of time to buy or a good solid lightweight alternative to the larger models.?

Did you have any problem balancing a 1D body on a 500mm lens and limiting how far the arm swings?

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jobu Jr

Paul
I have used the 400L IS 2.8 and the 800L with the Jobu Jr without issue.
If the wind blows the lens will move more than on the Wembely because it is not as rigid but the strength of the assembly is strong enough for everyday normal use..
There is no unusual swing limit and I use a 1DIII.
The 10lb recommendation limits insurance claims.

http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/2588354/6009620.htm

FAQ

Yes, the Jr.2 is physically strong enough to hold a 300 F2.8 or a 500mm F4 although if these (or other large lenses) are your primary glass, we suggest you move up to the BWG-LW or HD as the size and stiffness of the bigger gimbal are a big improvement. The primary usage for this lightweight gimbal is to create a Lightweight Hiking/Travelling kit - so please do not underbuy, ask us if you are uncertain.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:08 AM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jobu Jr

Psychic1 wrote:
Paul
I have used the 400L IS 2.8 and the 800L with the Jobu Jr without issue.
If the wind blows the lens will move more than on the Wembely because it is not as rigid but the strength of the assembly is strong enough for everyday normal use..
There is no unusual swing limit and I use a 1DIII.
The 10lb recommendation limits insurance claims.

http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/2588354/6009620.htm

FAQ

Yes, the Jr.2 is physically strong enough to hold a 300 F2.8 or a 500mm F4 although if these (or other large lenses) are your primary glass, we suggest you move up to the BWG-LW or HD as the
...Show more

So if you were only to buy one gimbal head for the 500mm and a 1D3 would you get the Jobu Jr 3 or something larger. I understand the weight benefits for travel but dont want to feel as if I should have the larger version as well

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:56 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jobu Jr

Purchase both and return one, only way to know.

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:19 AM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jobu Jr

I also found some info on this page about halfway down under Jobu Jr Head

http://www.birdsasart.com/2011/09/11/birds-as-art-bulletin-384/

Art says "the locking knob on the clamp is pitifully small, so small in fact I would not be caught dead using it"

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:19 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jobu Jr

PaulCal wrote:
I also found some info on this page about halfway down under Jobu Jr Head

http://www.birdsasart.com/2011/09/11/birds-as-art-bulletin-384/

Art says "the locking knob on the clamp is pitifully small, so small in fact I would not be caught dead using it"

The knob for the clamp does look small and would be better if it was the lobed type, like the ones on most other gimbals. A tight clamp would be especially important as you move up in lens size. But that review seems a bit dismissive, sighting one small issue as the sole reason to give the Jobu a bad review. In the same review he states, "I would never endorse a product that was less than ideal." This is ridiculous since no product that I know of is ideal. Perfection just doesn't exist in the real world. When looking at product reviews it's important to separate useful information from hyperbole.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:59 AM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jobu Jr

surf monkey wrote:
The knob for the clamp does look small and would be better if it was the lobed type, like the ones on most other gimbals. A tight clamp would be especially important as you move up in lens size. But that review seems a bit dismissive, sighting one small issue as the sole reason to give the Jobu a bad review. In the same review he states, "I would never endorse a product that was less than ideal." This is ridiculous since no product that I know of is ideal. Perfection just doesn't exist in the real world. When
...Show more

This is ridiculous since no product that I know of is ideal."

I think I agree with you. I emailed Mr O'Toole directly and he says :The owner of Jobu tells me he has sold something like 5000 of these clamps and knobs and never had a single report of a knob issue"

Also "The owner of Jobu is just being conservative with his rating system. I have spoken to him about this a couple of times. I have recommended this head to so many 500/4 owners and as I mentioned I use this combo myself and out of the dozens of people out there with them because of me I have yet to hear of issue, complaint or problem."

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jobu Jr

Paul

Be like an American, purchase foreign and put your country in hock.

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jobu Jr

Psychic1 wrote:
Paul

Be like an American, purchase foreign and put your country in hock.

I have done that repeatedly, however the American retailers are now in cohoots with our gov't and insist on collecting the sales taxes. At 15% for me its not good.

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:54 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jobu Jr

The Jr3 is on the way. If anyone is interested I'll let you know my thots after I set it up and use it and it will be with the 500mm lens

Paul

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jobu Jr

I'd opt for a ,Wimberly ver 1 which you can pick up used for about $200-250.

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jobu Jr

...wonder if it will take Markins plates.

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:41 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jobu Jr

PaulCal wrote:
The Jr3 is on the way. If anyone is interested I'll let you know my thots after I set it up and use it and it will be with the 500mm lens

Paul

I'm interested in how it performs.
Especially in regards to how much tilt it allows and the small tightening know for the lens plate.

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:14 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jobu Jr

Got the BWG-J3K and I had a chance to check it out shooting eagles. I would preface my comments by saying I have never owned or used a gimbal head before. I used this in conjunction with a 1DIII and the 500mm f4 lens with the 1.4TC mounted on a 3541 Gitzo pod.
Some of my eagle pics I shot with this setup yesterday, are posted on the N&W forum under the heading : And More.........

1. My first thots on seeing Jr3 was that it is a sturdy piece of equipment, altho light and compact, built well. After I mounted the lens and camera it was relatively easy to balance it. I would have to say its more than enough to hold the 500mm and camera. I had no problem walking away temporarily with my rig mounted and the knobs tightened up

2. It seemed to pan and tilt quite effortlessly, quite smooth, the knobs were easy to adjust.

3. The knob in question on the clamp, tho small, I had no problem locking it down tight.

4. The only downside I could see is with using the lens with no tc. When you balance the cam and lens and then you go to tilt the lens skyward you only get to go to about 45 degrees and the lens foot (the kirk model) hits the top of the head thats mounted on the tripod. This may be alleviated by either shoving the lens forward and therefore out of balance or perhaps ( I havnt tried this yet) putting the Canon foot back on with a plate ) I`m thinking that combo will give you a little more height.
I`m also thinking probably 45 degrees tilt skyward is enough anyway, any steeper and the shot isnt worth having.

I was also encourage by the fact that out of 5 or 6 photographers there at the time 3 of us had this head so its quite popular. The other 2 were using 400mm lens tho.

If any one has a question concerning my experience so far I will try to help.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:10 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jobu Jr

Thanks for the evaluation.

When it comes to the amount of tilt, I guess it comes down to what gimbal you use with whatever specific lens/camera combo you have on it.
It would be an amazing help to consumers if the manufacturers provided specs for tilt based on different lens/camera combos.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jobu Jr

surf monkey wrote:
Thanks for the evaluation.

When it comes to the amount of tilt, I guess it comes down to what gimbal you use with whatever specific lens/camera combo you have on it.
It would be an amazing help to consumers if the manufacturers provided specs for tilt based on different lens/camera combos.

It would be a help for sure if the info was provided, however they really dont recommend this one for the 500 but say that it can handle the 500. With the 400mm lenses from what I saw I dont think the tilt is an issue at all. For me I think I can work with it, I dont want the added weight and bulk of a bigger head and I mainly wanted something to use with the TC attached

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.