Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kenya- The Masai #3

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kenya- The Masai #3

A few of the men were in the village when we visited. The others were presumably out with the cattle, protecting them from lions as the livestock fed.
Masai men are still warriors, but the government finally convinced them to concentrate on cattle herding instead.
Luckily for tourists that the government's efforts worked .
The men were standing among themselves just outside entrance to the village. Their idea of "posing" was to let me take photographs without threatening me.
Needless to say, I used no flash, and I hurriedly took a few candids before scurrying into the village itself.

Charlie Shugart 2012

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:53 PM
PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kenya- The Masai #3

Charlie...good capture...i think the lack of flash buried the eyes due to hard shadows and the facial features couldn't be clearly seen....otherwise this pic would have been a killer...i would love to see other candid shots you took though

i wonder when i would have a chance to actually be there to capture some of my own...

Feb 03, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kenya- The Masai #3

Thanks Perla.
Actually, I never took flash with me when I traveled abroad. My approach to photographing people is entirely contrary to the use of flash- although I understand that there are consequences in the final result. I've explained these many reasons bit-by-bit with my posts.
Also, the Masai have really black skin, the harsh sun created deep shadows in their often deeply set eye sockets, and they have dark eyes.
Whether a traveler wants to explode a flash directly into the eyes of a spear-carrying Masai warrior when in a Masai village out in the middle of the Serengeti is an individual choice.
Me? No way!
My other candid images of the Masai can be found on FM by using "Kenya" as the search word on B&W and People forums.
Charlie

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:27 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password