Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon Repair Codes

flyingpoint
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Repair Codes

Any chance someone can steer me towards a Nikon repair code "dictionary?" I know I've seen one, but can't seem to find it.

Just sent a 200-400 back to Melville. It was working "sporadically." Absolutely killer 75% of the time --- totally brain dead 25% of the time. (Wouldn't focus.) Sent it off to Nikon and -- judging from the repair slip -- they completely rebuilt this thing, but I'd like to know more about the assorted repair codes.

Thanks.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Repair Codes

List the codes, I know some of them and I'm sure others could fill in the blanks.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:30 PM
flyingpoint
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Repair Codes

Good idea. Here's my list :

RPR OVERHAUL (Fairly self-explanatory)
RPL MAIN FPC
RPL VR UNIT (Vibration unit)
RPL BAYONET MOUNT (Self-explanatory)
RPL CONTACT BRUSH
ADJ COMMUNICATION

There were others --- it's the "fpc" and "contact brush" that have me stumped.

And I'm still a bit surprised that a lens that shot a lot of these :

http://www.flyingpointroad.com/Photos/Skiing/US-Nats-Womens-Classic/i-mXffJxL/2/L/SMF3905-L.jpg

Needed a complete rebuild. Not complaining -- just surprised.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:46 PM
iGeekPro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Repair Codes

Contact brush is for zoom/focus. It tells the focus computer/camera where the focus/zoom is. FPC is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_electronics. But in most lenses nowadays its more like a PCB, but whatever.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Baywing
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Repair Codes

Given your description of the problem, it sounds like something electronic was going intermittent. That is probably the worst type of problem to diagnose, total failure is much easier. Nikon may have figured it was better to replace the electronics in total than to do it pieces at a time and have you send it back repeatedly. It's also possible that whatever failed fried or shorted other things. The flexible printed circuit "board" (or any PCB for that matter) has many components that can fail. The usual course is to replace the entire board and if cost effective, have the board re-conditioned by a specialty shop. It's rare that these are cost effective to rebuild, most companies send the take outs for recycling.
In your case, bad contacts in the lens mount could push voltage into parts of the lens that shouldn't have voltage and thus the damage.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:50 PM
markcrosbyphot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Repair Codes

Does RPL mean Replace??

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:31 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Repair Codes

markcrosbyphot wrote:
Does RPL mean Replace??

Yep

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:48 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Repair Codes

iGeekPro wrote:
But in most lenses nowadays its more like a PCB, but whatever.

Not Nikon's generally. They've stayed with components mounted on flex rather than PCBs. Sony does too. Everyone else has gone PCB.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password