Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

I am going to add the Ee-s focus screen to my 5d to aid in manual focus. I know the lens has to be fast to get the maximum value from the screen but will there be any detrimental value when shooting f4 and slower?

Thanks

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:41 PM
kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

The screen only affects what you see in the viewfinder. It doesn't affect how the lens will perform.

If you have a lens with a maximum aperture of f/4 or narrower, the screen will be dimmer, but I've found the brightness to be commensurate with the ability to actually shoot. THat is to say, if there's enough light to get a shot, I'll be able to see the subject through the viewfinder. Any situation with a viewfinder that's too dark is probably too dark to shoot at f/4+.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:44 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

^^ Wot he said.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:57 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

Thanks!

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

Scroll down in this reference you will see a bar graph
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00GrRY

Loss of viewfinder brightness with Ee-S screen
1 stop loss at f4, 2 stop loss at f 8. At f8, its like using a 2 stop ND filter, its noticeably darker but still usable for composition if you have half decent light. If its not decent light and you need to MF with an f8 lens, forget it.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

I really only want to manual focus at 2.8 and below anyway. Would it be more beneficial to have this on my most used camera or my backup. I don't want to limit the camera I use every day but for most stuff past 2.8 auto focus will be ok except when using a manual focus lens.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Andy Keller
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

I wouldn't see a reason not to put one on every camera you have. I've been shooting my ee-s 5D with a mix of fast primes and 2.8 zooms for a while and there's nothing about it that bothers me...

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

I guess the only issue would be trying to use a slower AF lens indoors or in low light. It's obviously not going to affect the AF as that's done in a different part of the camera . But a 1 stop loss at f4 is going to make seeing darker scenes in the VF harder.

I would put a screen in the body you will use for MF first. Then see if it's ok in your use and then in your other body.

Also make sure you choose the correct cf setting for the screen otherwise your metering will be out.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:06 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d and Ee-s focus screen

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I guess the only issue would be trying to use a slower AF lens indoors or in low light. It's obviously not going to affect the AF as that's done in a different part of the camera . But a 1 stop loss at f4 is going to make seeing darker scenes in the VF harder.

I would put a screen in the body you will use for MF first. Then see if it's ok in your use and then in your other body.

Also make sure you choose the correct cf setting for the screen otherwise your metering will
...Show more

Thanks Ian. C.Fn-00...option 2 I believe?

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password