Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lock and Dam 21

mmarconi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lock and Dam 21

I haven't posted in sometime, work has been one ridiculous deadline after another since early last fall. Just getting a chance to get back out lately.

After talking with an US Army Corps of Engineers ranger about the eagle counts I decided to give the lock and dam just south of Quincy, IL a try. Arrived there before first light last Saturday. There were roughly 50 eagles in the area, its difficult to get close to the spillway which is on the IL side so fishing shots tend to be a little distance off. There is a public boat ramp and a little park with trees to shoot from. Standing on the boat ramp provides some good flying shots. Many of the eagles fish near the spillway then fly back to the trees just south of the ramp with their catch.

Next time I think a better approach will be to cross the river in Quincy and hike down the levee on the MO side about a mile to damn and walk it out to the spillway.

I know these aren't great shots but is was fun to get back out. Thanks for viewing and as always any constructive comments are welcome.

Mike

First light on the trees

NIKON D300    500mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Best shot of the day for me

NIKON D300    500mm    f/4.0    1/3200s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D300    500mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Blown opportunity

NIKON D300    420mm    f/8.0    1/5000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:13 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Lock and Dam 21

Looks like a bit of overexposure losing details in the whites. 3 is my choice of the set.
Douglas

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password