Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SD to CF adapter

Ed Woodson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · SD to CF adapter

Has anyone used an SD to CF adapter when upgrading to the 7D, 5D or 1D?

I went frome the 60D (SD card) to the 5D Mk2 which uses the CF card.

I have several Class 10 SD cards I'd like to continue to use.

Anyone?

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · SD to CF adapter

Probably better off buying a decent cf card. The adapters are pretty slow. Memory nowadays is cheap . I bought a 32gig transcend 400x for less than 40 .
Any of the decent (I mean named brand adapters ) cost nearly half that.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:42 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · SD to CF adapter

Ed, I use the Extreme CF Adapter when I want to download images to my iPad. The write speed is fine, it's the
download that's a little slower...no biggie in the field/venue. They have their place, but using cards specific to slots
are always gonna be better.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · SD to CF adapter

Will what are you using to connect that adapter to the pad?

I bought the camera connecter kit with my Ipad . you get both an SD slot and min USB . both work well and I find the SD part plenty quick enough.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:01 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · SD to CF adapter

I take the SD card out of the adapter and use Apples camera connector, Ian.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · SD to CF adapter

I have an adapter but never use it - it's way too slow.

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · SD to CF adapter

trenchmonkey wrote:
I take the SD card out of the adapter and use Apples camera connector, Ian.

Ah ok I thought you were using a cf adapter for the iPad. I saw a 3rd party connected that takes cf cards into the iPad.

Anyway that's getting a tad off topic

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:51 PM
4honor
• • • •
p.1 #8 · SD to CF adapter

I have some class 10 SD cards, and bought a cheap SD to CF adapter, and it's WAY slow. Sure, it works if you shoot Jpeg, but if you want to shoot 21MP RAW, then you will be waiting.

Also, the SD card works for video on 60D, but when used with the adapter in the 5D2, the video doesn't work more than like a second... Too slow...

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · SD to CF adapter

Dave_EP wrote:
I have an adapter but never use it - it's way too slow.

+1. And does not always work. It is useful to do some transfers but I would not use it in camera even if it worked. Risk of corruption is not worth the price of a couple of 16GB 400x cards. Sell the SDs if you need to, but use quality CF cards.

Also, most of the memory has a limited write life anyways, so its not such a bad idea to replace cards every couple of years

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · SD to CF adapter

I have both the SD-CF adapter and the micro-SD/CF adapter and they work fine. As has been said they are slower but for the way I shoot it doesn't matter. I actually only have them as backups to my regular CF cards.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:01 PM
alitech

p.1 #11 · SD to CF adapter

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Probably better off buying a decent cf card. The adapters are pretty slow. Memory nowadays is cheap . I bought a 32gig transcend 400x for less than 40 .
Any of the decent (I mean named brand adapters ) cost nearly half that.

Where did you buy that?

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:27 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #12 · SD to CF adapter

I actually just got this one yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048W4RV4/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The good, I can click off 22 raw shots before the buffer fills on my 7D. The bad, even reads are slow when looking at photos on the LCD. Only 3 seconds of video before it stops recording. So I think it will be fine for recycling my old class 10 SDHC cards. Not as good as CF cards obviously but I think its usable for simple shooting.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · SD to CF adapter

alitech wrote:
Where did you buy that?

amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-400x-CompactFlash-Memory-TS32GCF400/dp/B002WE4H8I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328110359&sr=8-4

Its plenty big enough for my 7D . I also find fast enough. although they also do a 600x which is supposed to work really well in the 7D . but it is a bit more.
I used to be a sandisk person but many on here rave about the Transcend cards so I thought I would give one a go. and on the whole im pretty impressed .

they also do a 16gig version of that card but at 35 its not such good value

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Ed Woodson
• •
p.1 #14 · SD to CF adapter

Thanks all, Good information.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #15 · SD to CF adapter

I have the fastest there is and it has a very slow controller. The average adapters have even slower controllers. None are UDMA which is what the 7D shines with. Since you are saving tons of money not getting filmed developed, why not get the Extreme 90MB/s card which the camera makes full use of?

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password