Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Color or Monochrome?

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Color or Monochrome?

Color? B & W?

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Color or Monochrome?

I'm curious to see a little more "painterly" on the color version, and a little more tonal variation in the flower petals for the BW version.

But if I had to choose "as is" ... color ... the bokeh works better for me in the color version.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:28 AM
Kaden K.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Color or Monochrome?

Color.

Stuff photogs say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4a-dR2V1-0Y

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Color or Monochrome?

Love it, Kaden!

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:10 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Color or Monochrome?

Ok, re-edited the images. Still prefer the color?

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Color or Monochrome?

Diggin' the changes (BW) to the tonal values of the subject and leaf ... maybe reduced to around 80-90% to take some edge off the contrast.

Version 2, it's leanin a bit much like it was shot on a "plain black" bg. Prefer tonal values much closer to version one in the bg/oof areas.

Petal edges might be a bit "too sharp" for the overall vibe. Color is still ahead, but its lead is slipping ... I can see the BW making it's move to take over the lead en route to excellence.

Edited on Feb 01, 2012 at 04:17 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:29 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Color or Monochrome?

I like both, with maybe an edge to color. The leaf is a concern, I'm not crazy about it's color. If it was less yellow I think it would fit into the overall color scheme better. Now, if we only knew a PS wiz who could take care of that...

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Color or Monochrome?

I must say, the color in that picture is quite bold, i like it.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Color or Monochrome?

Consolidated versions:

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Color or Monochrome?

Both are very nice however I lean toward the most recent BW version.

Wonderful detail.

Bob

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Color or Monochrome?

Thanks, Bob. Thanks, everyone. Helpful comments. I took the original image set some years ago because I liked the blossom color. However, it's never quite felt right, probably because there was too much yellow in the greens of the original scene and it didn't work right with the mauve color of the bloom. No such problem in B & W. Of course, then the problem is getting the dark and light tones pleasing.

Here's a jpeg of the original. I made a number of captures in portrait orientation, but I liked some of the qualities of a landscape version of the subject and selected one to work from. It's been through a number of iterations and it took a while to find the original:

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Color or Monochrome?

Now we're gettin' somewhere ... I think it looks like the BW has made it's move and has a slight lead. Toss a classic frame around the BW and I'm thinking it's checkered flag time. Not quite sure what you could do with the color (softer vibe maybe) ... which is very nice also btw ... to surpass the BW. Two winners, just depends on mood.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Color or Monochrome?

Thanks, Bob.

It's fun go back and re-do old images. It's interesting how much my preferences and skills have changed in a few years. I recommend giving it a go.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Color or Monochrome?

These are beautiful, Karen. Fine art!
I lean towards the BW's and to those variations where the leaf is less bright. In the last I would brighten the leaf just a tad. Lighting, textures, processing is excellent!

Scott

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Color or Monochrome?

The lighting was strobe plus ambient. To diffuse the 550 EX Canon Speedlite and broaden the source, I taped a piece of copier paper as a loop over the flash head, using the strobe for the primary light and the sun as fill.

Feb 02, 2012 at 07:19 PM
lemurofdoom
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Color or Monochrome?

AuntiPode wrote:
Ok, re-edited the images. Still prefer the color?

if you take the two images in this post, layer a flat version of the b/w over the color image, then set that layer's blending mode to luminosity... then play with the opacity of that layer.. maybe ~50%... you'll get some of the nice texture and modeling/depth that you have in the b/w version but still keep the bold color of the color version. just something to try - you may not like it.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Color or Monochrome?

lemurofdoom wrote:
if you take the two images in this post, layer a flat version of the b/w over the color image, then set that layer's blending mode to luminosity... then play with the opacity of that layer.. maybe ~50%... you'll get some of the nice texture and modeling/depth that you have in the b/w version but still keep the bold color of the color version. just something to try - you may not like it.

+1 ... I was gonna mention that as a possibility for the color, but figured I'd give it a go once I got my system back up ... which btw, will hopefully be later this evening.

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:08 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Color or Monochrome?

Interesting. I'll ponder the result, but my first reaction is, I like it.

If anyone's interested, after deleting three or four invisible layers and retaining the high level invisible layers that render the B & W version (before the final luminosity blended layer), the adjustment layers are included here for an example of how I tinker and tweak away until I like one.

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:47 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Color or Monochrome?

Monochrome, only a bit lighter.

Feb 07, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password