Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

jdben622 wrote:
Yeah, their 5-year warranty is super. So super that when they charged me $500 and took 30 days last month to repair a 9-month old D3s and 14-24mm lens that both should have been covered I sold my $20k Nikon system and switched back to Canon. CPS Irvine has always bent over backwards to service my gear. Nikon acted like they were doing me a favor.

I had a very bad experience with Nikon service in the early 90s which pushed me to switch to Canon. Turns out I prefer Canon gear anyway, so all is well. Sad to see Nikon hasn't improved since then.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:01 AM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

As someone who sends a LOT of gear in for repair (maybe 20 lenses a week) I'll second and third the above comments about Nikon. Nikon averages almost a month to return compared to a week to 10 days for Canon. We worked around that by using reputable repair shops that got things done in a week - but now Nikon won't sell them parts so the Nikon factory (and the few Factory Authorized Centers that toe the party line) are the only options. Something tells me Nikon repair prices aren't going down when none of the other shops are able to get parts. . . .

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:28 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

JDben, I am a cps member. thank god for the 30% and free shipping. saved me 130 bucks. Gochugogi, I am sure Nikon is no better. In my limited experience with them, they very not very helpful. to be fair, Canon focus adjusted an 85 1.8 for me, 6 months out of warranty for free, including free shipping back when I sent it in with my 70-300 IS for the recall fix.
As I expressed elsewhere in my post, there are several factors involved in the sticker shock. first was that I have heard from several people the fix is 160-180. so thats what I was expecting. second that the lens is working fine, so its a little painful to pay for a lens that is working fine. third is that the lens is not that old, and this really is a defect in design by canon. 4th, its seemed that the degree of the problem is relatively simply. thats all.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

eskimochaos wrote:
Now you know why it was for sale.

+1

EBH

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:38 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

EB-1 wrote:
+1

EBH

Since people can look it up and see who I bought it from, I just want to make it clear that I dont hold the guy who sold it to me responsible. He is reputable seller with 60 positive feedback and I am going on faith that he did not know. I did not make this post to smear anyone's reputation. that would not be fair.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:20 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

So, as an update, lens shipped monday pm, USPS to canon Irvine. Received back thursday noon. Pretty fast turn around. it is fixed, and like new. The ring now requires very little turn to tighten, and in retrospect, even at the time I got it was really worn out, since I had to turn it all the way to tighten.

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:57 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password