Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Uzi-

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

This is the first time I've posted photos here on FM.

This was my first time shooting eagles, my first time shooting with a lens over 200mm and my first real outing with a new to me sigma 120-300 2.8. I shoot with a 7D and I'm still figuring out what it likes for settings with this lens. I'm shooting through a very dirty window at a power plant so that doesn't do me favors in the focus and sharpness department. I've already decided I need to pick up an extender as focal length is often my limiting factor making most of these very heavy crops.

I've seen so many awesome shots here and would like to hear anything people have to say about these good, bad or otherwise.

For reference this is what I have to shoot through not the best but its as close as I can get to them.

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:03 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

You have done very well in your first attempt. Keep practicing. Do not hesitate to crop your images for better composition.

Jude

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome Uzi!! I think these are a good starting point. I would agree with you about needing added focal length for this situation. Shooting through the window isn't doing you any favors either. Looks like a double pane at that. If there was anyway to get outside and photograph these guys I think your quality would improve dramatically. Keep at and keep posting

Tim

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Uzi-

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Jude Perera wrote:
You have done very well in your first attempt. Keep practicing. Do not hesitate to crop your images for better composition.

Jude

Thanks Jude for the comment and yeah these are all cropped pretty heavily, just need to get an extender to get a little closer.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Welcome Uzi!! I think these are a good starting point. I would agree with you about needing added focal length for this situation. Shooting through the window isn't doing you any favors either. Looks like a double pane at that. If there was anyway to get outside and photograph these guys I think your quality would improve dramatically. Keep at and keep posting

Tim

Thanks Tim, yeah the window is really killing the quality when viewing at 50%
or above and really not helping my ability to crop well. Actually looking at these after posting they look even worse then they do on my computer after the re-size must be the hosting.

I'm working on a way to get outside (and closer) to shoot, unfortunately this viewing area is at an active generating station on land owned by the power company. They are very concerned with liability, not that I blame them. The banks on the canal are very steep and the water moves very quickly when the turbine is on. I imagine they have litigation nightmares about someone falling in and drowning. I made friends with the caretaker that opens and closes the building to the public. Hopefully I can get a little more freedom of movement by promising not to die.
This place is only open on the weekends for a limited time frame but I'm hoping to go back and get to a better outside spot this weekend.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

A great starting point. You're half way there. Get out side. Beg, borrow or rent at least a 500mm lens.

I look forward to more. Good hunting!

Ted

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Tim Kuhn wrote:

Tim

+1

Great advice from others here! Welcome Uzi

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome to FM Uzi. These are very good considering you are shooting through glass. i can understand why you want more length - I'm in the same boat and have to crop heavily most of the time. Let's treat ourselves
David

Jan 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome Uzi. You are off to a nice start, but I agree that you need a longer lens. Keep shooting and posting ~ Ron

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:12 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Great start! Practice makes perfect - equipment helps too!

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:15 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome Uzi. A whole lot of firsts , and you are off to a great start!

Birdie

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:17 PM
DesertBighorn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome!! Nice start, keep after it.

-Doug

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:45 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First photo post and other firsts with bald eagles (C&C please)

Welcome Uzi and congrats on this very nice first post.

You've received some good advice from others. All I will add is that you need to know your equipment's limitations and you'll produce some fine images. They may not be close-ups of your subject, but it's still very cool to have more of their habitat in the images too.

Just keep shooting and have fun.

Kirk

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.