Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Looking for a wildlife setup

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:18 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Looking for a wildlife setup

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Canon DPP and see if it can clean this up a little.

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:33 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Looking for a wildlife setup

My frustrations with the 7D and its skies have me looking at acquiring a 1DmkII again... crazy in this world of increasing resolution, yet I find myself wishing for the output of that venerable old camera. If it weren't for the batteries and the monstrous battery charger, I'd have purchased it again by now... we canon wildlife shooters are caught between the greatness of the 5D mkII sensor at a reasonable price and the greatness of the 7D af system. It would have been a relatively easy solution for canon to combine them both and make a 5D mark IIn... I don't need 61 af points, movie mode... >sigh< ...and like many who have sunk too much in this costly endeavor, I'm not interested in spending $2700 on a new camera ...again!

bruce

Feb 04, 2012 at 02:01 PM
ChrisHA
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Looking for a wildlife setup

I recommend investing in good glass aka the beautiful 300/2.8. You already have a nice body. With the addition of a 7D and the new teleconverters, you can build a serious wildlife portfolio.

I've done many photo shoots with just the 300/2.8 including wild horses in NM, Africa, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Most of the time, mammals aren't moving quickly and you should be able to do well with a 5D2/7D combo.

OTOH, if you're going to concentrate on birds, that's a different tactic.

Chris
www.wildliferhythms.com
http://chrisprestegardtraveltipcentral.blogspot.com/

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:04 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Looking for a wildlife setup

OwlsEyes wrote:
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of noise between the two bodies. There is no question that the 7D will aid a photographer who is focal length limited. This is actually my case. I have a 7D w/ a 300 f2.8IS L. If I could swap my lens for the 400 f4 DO or 500 f4 IS, I would do so in order to take advantage of the superior imaging sensor in my 5DII. But life is filled with compromise that include financial realities.

My only complaint with the 7D (and I've had two thus far) is with noise in
...Show more

I don't think we disagree, I was merely pointing out that noise comparisons should be done under conditions that are relevant to the application, and at least that the conditions should be specified.

Your observations about low ISO noise are valid, I am familiar with the noise characteristics of the 7D. But let us use galenapass' phot of the GHO as an example. Thanks for leaving the exif intact

Focal length 700 mm, ISO 400, aperture f/5.6, shutter speed 1/2000 sec.

First, at ISO 400 the noise has a more random distribution than at base ISO, so the non-randomness argument does not apply as much here.

Second, to get this image with a 1DIII and a shutter speed of 1/2000, the focal length would have to be 900 mm, the aperture f/7.1 and ISO 640. Thus it makes sense to compare noise from the 7D at 400 to the 1DIII at 640. Do you disagree with this?

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:45 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Looking for a wildlife setup

alundeb said: "Second, to get this image with a 1DIII and a shutter speed of 1/2000, the focal length would have to be 900 mm, the aperture f/7.1 and ISO 640. Thus it makes sense to compare noise from the 7D at 400 to the 1DIII at 640. Do you disagree with this?"

No I do not disagree and I believe that I understand your point quite well. In a direct comparison between the two bodies given the same situation with the same point of view, the additional resolution of the 7D has a noise distribution that is equivalent or less than a 1.3 crop sensor camera ...if I res-up or crop the 1.3x sensor to create the same perspective.

I concede this point, however this is not how I shoot. Rather, I make images with the camera I have... moving in, moving out, and accepting the compromises that a shoot presents. When using my former 1D2 or 1D3 cameras, I found myself working harder to move in and tighten the perspective. My cost... animals fleeing faster than I'd like. In contrast, the 7D provides me with more working distance and I tend to use it. So, when I look at my images, I am comparing similar points of view. While the 7D, admittedly has amazing detail, the noise is more apparent when making a direct comparison between similar images with similar detail free areas.

What does all of this mean?... nothing! I shoot w/ a 5DII and 7D and it is likely that I will stick w/ these bodies for three key reasons...
1: they share batteries... one charger + 4 batteries goes a long way on the road.
2: the cameras, batteries and charger are relatively small and light. I travel on planes and hike with the gear... weight matters to me.
3: price... my two cameras combined cost less than a 1DIV or 1DsIII and will certainly cost less than the 1Dx. I believe that these cameras are 95% of the pro equivalents. I can live with the 5% loss, as my livelihood does not require the highest possible keeper rate (that's my ode to the pro). Fortunately for me, my ego does not require a big (or most current) camera to make me feel good about myself or my photography (that's my ode/dig to those who always must buy the best even if their skill & motivation will never warrant it).

I've said it before and I'll say it again... photography is filled with compromises. We all need to make the adjustments that meet our needs as professionals, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and occasional shooters.

cheers,
bruce

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:01 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Looking for a wildlife setup

OwlsEyes wrote:
. In contrast, the 7D provides me with more working distance and I tend to use it.

Key point. The 7D does not provide more working distance. You admit yourself more working distance, and that is the cause of the technical challenges that eventually lead to image quality degradation.

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.