Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Thanks that explains it very nicely, more tricky in portrait but still doable.

Jan 31, 2012 at 02:05 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.2 #2 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Joby SLR tripod is a great companion to your regular tripod. It let's you get on the floor quickly.
http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/

I always worried about the lack of rigidity with the Jobys. ie flexibility in the legs implies more vibration in the shot and kind of tippy. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check one out. Right now I use a Manfrotto 055CXPro4, and put the center column in a horizontal position, splaying the legs. It certainly is slower to set up but is exceptionally stable.

I used to have an Explorer and the rrotating center column was great for low work. But found the leg angle set up with no preset stops too much hassle for everyday use.
Mike K

Edited on Jan 31, 2012 at 02:45 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2012 at 02:30 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Bah. I so want a 24tse! Shame I have to wait

Jan 31, 2012 at 02:35 AM
kirry007
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #4 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

KILLER shots from Death Valley (Especially the race track shot)...Bravo !

Sunny Sra wrote:
Both

17 TSE (3 shot pano)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/82/593882.jpg

17 TSE (3 shot pano)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/69/588869.jpg

17 TSE (3 shot pano)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/40/595040.jpg

Check out Scott's thread about the 17tse/14-24 etc..has lots of pics in it.

Jan 31, 2012 at 02:45 AM
ryanpfleger
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

A 24 TS-E is winging its way from B&H as of today. Should get here Friday! I am very excited.

My next purchase will certainly be a UWA in some form. I am curious about trying focus stacking technique for landscapes, as I have only dabbled with it for macro and never with dedicated software like Helicon. But they will sell a years license for $25, and then let you upgrade if you want to keep it. That might mean I could get away with a less expensive non-tilt lens in the ultra wide realm. A UWA with AF would be a bonus as it would be just the thing for rock climbing.

I had looked at Scott's Hawaii photographs already, but thanks for the heads up. They are very nice.

Jan 31, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

ryanpfleger wrote:
A 24 TS-E is winging its way from B&H as of today. Should get here Friday! I am very excited.

My next purchase will certainly be a UWA in some form. I am curious about trying focus stacking technique for landscapes, as I have only dabbled with it for macro and never with dedicated software like Helicon. But they will sell a years license for $25, and then let you upgrade if you want to keep it. That might mean I could get away with a less expensive non-tilt lens in the ultra wide realm. A UWA with AF would
...Show more

Great choice. When you get it, I advise adding the bigger knob for shifting. (You will find it in the box). It helps a lot.

Jan 31, 2012 at 05:28 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

I own both the 24 TS-E II and the 17 TS-E. They are both really great lenses. I probably use the 24 a lot more than the other. But the 17 is a more special and unique lens

Jan 31, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Mike K wrote:
I always worried about the lack of rigidity with the Jobys. ie flexibility in the legs implies more vibration in the shot and kind of tippy. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check one out. Right now I use a Manfrotto 055CXPro4, and put the center column in a horizontal position, splaying the legs. It certainly is slower to set up but is exceptionally stable.

I used to have an Explorer and the rrotating center column was great for low work. But found the leg angle set up with no preset stops too much hassle for everyday use.
Mike K

The Joby SLR is somewhat stable when going really low and flattening the leg an on the ground. Your set-up seems to work quite well though. Another option is to get a tripod with no center column. For example, the Gitzo GT3541 goes almost to the floor. (10cm)

Jan 31, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Joby SLR is somewhat stable when going really low and flattening the leg an on the ground. Your set-up seems to work quite well though. Another option is to get a tripod with no center column. For example, the Gitzo GT3541 goes almost to the floor. (10cm)

i have the GT3541, love it. for the rock shot...i was few inches from the rock, the tripod was almost flat and i was lyin on my belly shooting it.

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #10 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Mike K wrote:
Mike K

Interesting. I recently sold my 055 and bought a CF Explorer. One reason was that I wanted to be able to lock the legs into different angles.

The other was I had to splay the legs out too far to get the camera low enough - the Explorer's post will angle downward very easily.

And at my age, weight was becoming an issue. The 055 was rock solid, but my aluminum version was too much.

Glenn

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jwin
• •
p.2 #11 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

ryanpfleger wrote:

My next purchase will certainly be a UWA in some form. I am curious about trying focus stacking technique for landscapes, as I have only dabbled with it for macro and never with dedicated software like Helicon. But they will sell a years license for $25, and then let you upgrade if you want to keep it. That might mean I could get away with a less expensive non-tilt lens in the ultra wide realm. A UWA with AF would
...Show more
24 TS-E II is an awesome choice, you'll enjoy it, I am very tempted to grab one(to upgrade my version I) with recent rebates going on. 17 TS-E is nice too but I too prefer a 24 TS-E first.

I've been using a Tokina 11-16 2.8 with my T2i for video primarily and some stills, fairly small/light/cheap package, might be just the thing for active stuff like long hikes/rock climbing etc. Tokina also works fine with AF on full frame (15-16mm) without black corners.

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Sunny Sra wrote:
i have the GT3541, love it. for the rock shot...i was few inches from the rock, the tripod was almost flat and i was lyin on my belly shooting it.

Can you believe it was discontinued? This is one great tripod. They are ready to roll out the new GT3542. As far as I can tell from their website, it will not go as low and will be a little heavier...

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

I use a Super Clamp with Double Ball Head to get down and dirty. Different lens, but you get the idea.

P.S. old photo - I converted to RRS plates about three years ago.

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

24 TSE 3 shot pano.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

how low can you go

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Can you believe it was discontinued? This is one great tripod. They are ready to roll out the new GT3542. As far as I can tell from their website, it will not go as low and will be a little heavier...

It was hard to find the 3541 a few months ago, i snagged 1 of the 2 amazon had in stock. glad i did. Another feature i like is that i can take the tripod apart completly wash/clean it and put it back in less than 5 minutes. especially helpful when shootng at the beach.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM
John Mills
• •
p.2 #17 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

What programs are everyone using to stitch their panos here?

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

John Mills wrote:

Photoshop CS5 PhotoMerge.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

Sunny Sra wrote:
It was hard to find the 3541 a few months ago, i snagged 1 of the 2 amazon had in stock. glad i did. Another feature i like is that i can take the tripod apart completly wash/clean it and put it back in less than 5 minutes. especially helpful when shootng at the beach.

That is good to know. I have a DV trip schedule and tripods get trashed after Mesquite dunes!

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · 24TS-E or 17TS-E for landscapes?

John Mills wrote:

I use photomerge in cs5.

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:08 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password