Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

I just saw a great deal on a Canon 1Ds Mark III, but it has an issue with the shutter. The seller is saying that the shutter doesn’t sync correctly at 1/250 so when using a flash at or above that shutter speed there will be bright part at the top of the picture – like 100 pixels tall.

Does that indicate that the shutter is starting to fail big time – and what would it cost to have it fixed/replaced?

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

On the face of it possibly.

BUT

It also depends on what flash the guy is trying to use. Some 3rd party manual flashes won't sync at the full speed.

I would also want a bright sky test, done a various fast shutter speeds . That should show any signs of shutter fail.

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Hang on thinking about it . If the sync speed is wrong you should get a dark line not a bright one.

So possibly discount my above post

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

ask if he is talking about with a Canon flash or an external flash, possibly with remote triggering.
I have read about the remote triggers causing the sync speed to drop below 1/250

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:21 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

when I had mine, 1/160 was the fastest speed I could rely on radio triggers operating properly.

hth

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Hang on thinking about it . If the sync speed is wrong you should get a dark line not a bright one.

So possibly discount my above post

He is saying that it works correctly at 1/200 - which he didn't have an issue with since that is what he is using in his studio.

Well, I'm not even sure that I'm really interested in a 1Ds Mark III, but this price is quite low, and maybe - just maybe - it would make me more than happy until I can get a 1D X.

Edited on Jan 30, 2012 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Kenneth Farver wrote:
ask if he is talking about with a Canon flash or an external flash, possibly with remote triggering.
I have read about the remote triggers causing the sync speed to drop below 1/250

Thanks, will do. Maybe he thinks the camera has an issue that it doesn't really have?

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

So you need a 1d3s to keep you happy till March?

Have him test it with a camera-mounted Canon speedlight and see what happens.

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:32 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

As far as I can tell, flash triggering should occur when the first shutter curtain reaches the end of its travel before the second shutter curtain starts moving. I think sync speed is directly related to how quickly the curtains open and close. So, a camera with a sync speed of 1/250 means that the shutter curtains travel from top to bottom at a speed > 1/250 sec. This allows the shutter to be completely open when the flash fires, as opposed to partially open as is the case with faster shutter speeds.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the flash is triggering late when the second curtain nears the end.

You'll want to investigate which flash setup the seller is using.

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

TrojanHorse wrote:
So you need a 1d3s to keep you happy till March?

Don't really know, I just thinking about getting it until the 1D X is a bit cheaper and more available in like August/September. Or maybe I'm just too impatient to get back to full frame from this 7D.

TrojanHorse wrote:
Have him test it with a camera-mounted Canon speedlight and see what happens.

Jep, will try and ask him. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:43 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Generally if your setup is struggling to match rated sync speeds it will manifest itself as a black line in the frame, not a white one. Good news is that this is almost always the fault of the trigger or lights, not the camera itself.

I would definitely try the "sky" test at various high, shutter speeds as suggested. If it's really the shutter, it will show up very quickly here.

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:55 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

deepbluejh wrote:
Generally if your setup is struggling to match rated sync speeds it will manifest itself as a black line in the frame, not a white one. Good news is that this is almost always the fault of the trigger or lights, not the camera itself.

The ratio of bright to dark is indicative of the delay between the shutter starting to close and the flash triggering.

OP does note that the seller states that the picture seems to be correctly exposed at 1/200sec.

Unfortunately, we're hearing everything from a 2nd hand source.

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:51 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

Same, here...FWIW on my 5Dc and Cactus V5 triggers, I get just a touch of shutter in the frame at 1/200 with a 135mm lens. I either heal it up or crop it out in post, or just go down to 1/160. I attribute it to the cheapo triggers, but I have yet to try it on anything more 'pro' - i.e. PWs or the like.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shutter cant sync with flash at 1/250 – big issue looming?

I got 1/200th with my 1Ds3 + Elinchrom Skyports. The flash sync cable gave me 1/250th.

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password