Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Leopards of Luangwa

marc2307

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Whilst in Sth Luangwa, Zambia I had a lot of fun with vehicle (hand held) spot lit and -EV/high ISO combined images on night time predators, in trips past I used to use my flash, high bracket mount, remote cord and better beamer
which was a lot to balance and results were very much hit and miss, dependent on getting that BB lined up just right.
With the D3s, that all changed and decided to try the spot lit method exclusively whilst on Sth Luangwa's night drives, I won't be going back to the BB method at least for night drives that's for sure.
I had Patrick Bentley (ex Lion Camp guide and a fine photographer) along with me for the week whilst @ Tafika camp and we had a ball practising this method.
Below are a few images using this method.

Spot lit Leopard on baby Impala
One night on such a drive we heard a bleating and scuffle, upon investigating and after negotiating the heavy undergrowth, we came upon this female Leopard on a newborn Impala, giving me a great down the lens stare.
We spent over an hour observing this very relaxed girl.
I opened up the exp 1/2 stop on the Impala's head to extract a little extra detail, whilst trying to eliminate any undue noise.

D3s 500VR 1/250s f/4 ISO1600 -2EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

It almost appears as if this leopard is kissing the baby impala goodnight.

D3s 500VR 1/250s f/4 ISO1600 -2EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

The night stalker
D700 70-200VRII 1/160s f/2.8 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 2/3EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

Lightening cub
A 4 month old leopard cub (another shy one higher up) waiting for mum's return with an electrical storm & lightening bolt in the background .Taken using a high a multiple frame rate (and a lotta luck) during the storm.
D3s 500VR 1/100s f/4 ISO3200 -2 1/3EV. F/F
Chipela Chayumba region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

Waiting for mum, Leopard cub portrait
D700 70-200VRII 1/640s f/7 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 1/3EV. F/F
Chipela Chayumba region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

His sister was well hidden, higher up this Whitethorn tree, we didn't sight her for over an hour!
D700 70-200VRII 1/125s f/8 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 1/3EV. F/F.
Chipela Chayumba, Mfuwe region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Edited on Feb 27, 2012 at 09:27 AM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Interesting images Marc. My favorite is the last which appears the most natural. The first few seems a bit oversharpened on my monitor. But regardless, photography leopards at night is always fun. By the way, did you get to do a microlite flight at Tafika...it was one of the highlights of my time there.
Eric

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Terrific set Marc, I am very impressed with results you achieved here. The images certainly have a more natural look than flash typically produces in these settings.

I've never tried this technique, but will have to give it a go if I get the opportunity. Was that just the normal type of spotlight that the camps in South Luangwa use on night drives or was it more powerful?

Paul.

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:01 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Nice set Marc.

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:28 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Leopards of Luangwa

compelling images, especially the second and third. And taken at night makes them all the more interesting.

Joe

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:30 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Leopards of Luangwa

#3 for me. Nice set Marc.

George

Jan 30, 2012 at 02:36 PM
squirrelsnest
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Wow...Excellent series of shots..I enjoyed them!

Jan 30, 2012 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BearCreekLar
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Leopards of Luangwa

1 and 3 for me, with 3 being over the top good!!
well done
Larry

Jan 30, 2012 at 03:49 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Leopards of Luangwa

very nice set Marc

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Super set of night time pics Marc with a real interesting narrative too.
Martin

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:24 PM
marc2307

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Appreciate all the comments everyone.

eyelaser wrote:
Interesting images Marc. My favorite is the last which appears the most natural. The first few seems a bit oversharpened on my monitor. But regardless, photography leopards at night is always fun. By the way, did you get to do a microlite flight at Tafika...it was one of the highlights of my time there.
Eric

Thanks Eric, I have not used any extra USM on any of these images (other than the normal default sharpening in RAW/ACR) and certainly something I'm very conscious about, not evident on both of my calibrated 24" Dell's either?
This being my third time @ Tafika. and a stay of 12 nights I did two early morning flights with John over the Luangwa and yes it certainly is not to be missed, I'll post a few of those at a later time.

Cheers
Marc

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:36 PM
louie champan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Leopards of Luangwa

Amazing set Marc, any one of them would make a beautiful hanger.

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:19 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Leopards of Luangwa

I echo the "amazing" comment. Must have been exciting to experience. #3 and #5 are very dramatic and stand out to me. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Leopards of Luangwa

These are simply amazing

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password