New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

morenoar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

So, I picked up my 400 2.8 and went out to train myself on it. Let me just say, don't, I REPEAT, DON'T use on a Digital Rebel T3, for sports. That is just so wrong. Or at least in my opinion. Can't wait till my MKII comes back from repair and my second body arrives.

LOVE the fast AF on it. SHARP CRISP pictures at 2.8. I tested with 1.4 and 2x converter. Defenitly difference with the 2x. But it was nice to sit on one side of the field and take pictures at the other end, the Goalkeeper was visible tightley.

The negative. This lens DEFENETLY needs a person that knows what they are doing. I am SO LOOKING forward to learning this lens. I am so HAPPY.

And who said one only gets HAPPY with LONG BLACK things

Not going to post pictures of what I took, cause I am embarrased at what I took since I am learning

Jan 29, 2012 at 07:33 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

morenoar wrote:
Let me just say, don't, I REPEAT, DON'T use on a Digital Rebel T3, for sports. That is just so wrong. Or at least in my opinion. Can't wait till my MKII comes back

Interesting.

I've used the 600/4L with a T1i for sports when I have another lens on my Mk III and have never had any reservations with the performance... AF acquisition, tracking, or resulting IQ.

I like using the 1.6x crop for a little extra reach more than using a 1.4x TC.

I'm not familiar with the T3. Is the AF significantly more crippled than the T1i?

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:21 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

I'd be happy to carry it for you - I even offer pick up service since you're only in Lancaster.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:28 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

Clarence3, don't take me wrong, but it just the DR T3 (new version I got my wife for Xmas), looked like a toy on the 400. I had a friend of mine offer to loan me her 60D, so as to put the toy away. We got a good laugh. I got some nice shots and all was good, just not used to T3 after MKII. My wife LOVES the DR because it is light and easy for her.

TrojanHorse, I will be near Whittier Feb 25-26 (Downey to be exact) for a soccer tournament. This lens is very heavy for my wife, so if you want to come carry it for a while (you have to shoot my duaghters game while I coach it), we could work something out. You just have to bring $3600 deposit, in case something happens

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:50 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

You understand I'd have to carry it on the end of my camera, right?

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

Trojanhorse, i understood, thus the $3600 deposit

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

I think you're being unreasonable. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Jan 30, 2012 at 05:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

We all agree that the 400mm f/2.8 is indeed a beast, no matter how you slice or dice it . The beast can be somewhat tamed however if you use a monopod for your setup. At least the weight is supported by the monopod, the rest is up to you. You still can go from one spot to the other fairly easily and still be somewhat flexible that way. Enjoy your 400mm lens!

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:42 AM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

AGeoJO, I did get a monopod and the combination will take time to learn. I was just playing around with both extenders on it (1.4 and 2x). It was NICE to sit one end of the field and not move.

Trojan, I agree come on out on the weekend of the 25-26, so we can meet and maybe shoot in between my coaching and refereeing.

Jan 31, 2012 at 01:31 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 400 2.8 is a BEAST

I might just! I think I'm free on the 25th too.

Jan 31, 2012 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.