Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LD14 - Jan 28th

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Was a rather unproductive day for me owing to my complete lack of skill I bought a 500/4 here on FM from Rick and it is awesome.

Funny thing is my 7D just would not AF at all but 5D Mark II just loved it. Almost instant focus. Is there something I need to do on the lens to get it working on a 7D ? What is that Set button ?

But the lens seems pretty sharp to me as the attached handheld photo is an almost 67% crop

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/BE1.jpg

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:55 PM
sherms
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Photo looks sharp to me. I have the same set up and don't seem to have any problems. What type of focus point do you have set up. Sometime shooting a subject with lots of branches can fool the AF system I found so I tend to use a single point. Also what is the lighting like?

When I started with my 500mm there was a learning curve to get use to the combo. Kinda strange that the 5d works without any problems. Maybe because it's better for low light?

Sherman

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:29 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Not sure. I always use center with expansion. Had no problems with the 300/4. Came home and checked with 70-200 and no issues. Problem seems only with the 500. So I guess I am doing something wrong from the get go. DPP shows the focus select square on the fish but I dont think it acquired focus

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/BE2.jpg

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:59 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Could f/13 be the problem here ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Definitely not locked on focus of any part of the eagle . Not sure why you are shooting @f/13, this lens should perform well @f/4, f/5.6, thats why people buy it. Also helps hide the bad background. I rarely shoot above 5.6 on BIF. That would have increased your shutter speed etc. Your photo is out of focus w/the 7D and not the 5D MKII suggests you need to dial in your 7D. Did you micro adjust before you went out?

Edited on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2012 at 08:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sritri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Not yet. It was the first time out

Jan 29, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LD14 - Jan 28th

I have a friend who has a 7D with the 100-400 and was shooting at F11 thinking he needed the depth of field. I was showing him on a chart that the depth of field is about 34 ft at the distance he was shooting and the eagle wouldn't have that much of a wingspan.
Told him that shooting at 4.5 would give him more light for the camera to focus better.
Had him check and it is front focusing. He hasn't taken the time to MA the lens to the camera.
Let me know if you would like help in checking or adjusting your MA with your camera.
I'm not too far from you in Woodstock, IL. You can always ride the train out and back.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:01 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LD14 - Jan 28th

congrats on the new lens Shreeni .. seems to work great on your 5D.. the set button's for the focus preset .. it's handy to have.. do a search on it.. i use it when i'm in a blind

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:43 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LD14 - Jan 28th

Thank you for the advise Ken. Would love to get help on the MA process. When would you be free ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:45 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LD14 - Jan 28th

i did have some problems when i first got the 500mm .. i PMd you

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password