Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

goldscout
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

This shot is an HDR in which I have strived to maintain a realistic effect. HDR was necessary to maintain detail in the buffalo while keeping the sunrise colors intact. It shows a buffalo resting by a thermal pool with the Yellowstone Park Old Faithful headquarters in the background. F2.8 so no real depth of field -- it was quite dark and this is a tripod shot.
More from Yellowstone in Winter here if you wish
C&C welcome

goldscout 2012

Buffalo at sunrise in Yellowstone

Took a bit of effort to find the green chromatic aberation was coming from the overexposed image and fix it

Edited on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM
DLP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

Not a fan of the HDR here. You have a crazy solid green line at the bottom of the treeline against the snow mid frame. Across the roof of the Lodge as well. The branches about the Buff on the left are Pink. Overall to me the background is very distracting and I'd be temped to crop the top 2/3 of the image and do a B/W or sepia conversion and clone out the branches on the left.
By any chance did you have IS on? I find that sometimes with HDR I get crazy colored artifacts like that with IS.

Dave

Jan 29, 2012 at 02:38 PM
goldscout
• •
p.1 #3 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

Nope no IS, but thanks for the thoughts (this is the canon 24-70mm f2.8 - it doesn't have IS). I've fixed it now in the second image above.

Jan 29, 2012 at 02:45 PM
goldscout
• •
p.1 #4 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

Interesting to see how much effect chromatic aberration in one exposure of a set can have.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM
charlespan
• •
p.1 #5 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

I would still prefer the first one.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

I think you've had a very nice vision for that shot, and it might well be that you are still exploring different execution pathways.

I'd try to shoot the same scene with perhaps a ND filter for the sky and the snowy area. Use maximum DoF possible before diffraction. Get rid of that retaining wall/fence behind the buffalo.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

I prefer the first.
The HDR isnt the issue here. You have chosen such a large framing around the buffalo that it becomes a significant part of the subject. And it becomes problematic to me because of the shallow DOF. To me the blurriness is unpleasant and dramatically interferes with the presentation.
Scott

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:53 PM
goldscout
• •
p.1 #8 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

Thanks for the replies. A lot of room for interpretation. I am at the moment tending to prefer animals in the environment, but it's a good point that the environment then needs to be sharp. A hazard given I was shooting at sunrise and these were 5 - 10 second exposures at f2.8 - f8 or f11 for the background risked the buffalo moving. Except for the chromatic aberration which cropped up on the over exposed frame I prefer the lighter version. A learning experience.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · buffalo at Yellowstone Sunrise HDR

The first is my pick. It would be quite spectacular had you been able to stop down to at least f8.

Morris

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password