Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · lightroom 3 previews are really slow

JimClark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · lightroom 3 previews are really slow

I have recently gotten lightroom 3. Int he library mode while going through the imaged it is excruciatingly slow at redrawing the final preview of the images. Any preferences to speed this up? CS5 Bridge and ACR were much faster on the same machine.
Thanks
Jim

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:06 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · lightroom 3 previews are really slow

Set the preview JPEG size smaller with lower preview JPEG quality, while increasing the cache size to 40GB.

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:14 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · lightroom 3 previews are really slow

First, let Lr generate all of the image previews before you start browsing - even if it means letting it run overnight. You might need to select all images and then tell Lr to rebuild the previews or else it might stop at the current folder.

Second, if you used the standard size previews in step 1 and are trying to zoom in to 100% (1:1) then Lr will regenerate full size previews on the fly. This will be slow and will gobble up drive space. The solutions are to restrict your 1:1 Library module browsing, go back to the first step and use 1:1, or better yet use the Develop module.

1:1 browsing is often faster in the Develop module than in the Library module if the 1:1 previews do not already exist, and you have better control over editing once you are there. Otherwise, develop is slower than Library because Develop always reloads the file data and builds a new preview.

- Alan

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:38 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #4 · lightroom 3 previews are really slow

More info: the previews that LR generates when you import files only apply to the library module. Develop module always generates previews on the fly.

Previews are discarded based on your settings... so after a week or so, poof.

It's entirely possible your computer is old and slow. On my i7-2600 it's a slight delay while the preview builds (and only 10 mpix files too, I might add). YMMV

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password