Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bird Id

sparadise
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bird Id

Looks like a juvenile ??

Jan 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM
kluckie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Bird Id

I'm just going to throw this out there but could it be a northern mockingbird that has just taken a bath.

Jan 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Bird Id

kluckie wrote:
I'm just going to throw this out there but could it be a northern mockingbird that has just taken a bath.

I'd go along with that id.
Norm

Jan 27, 2012 at 09:26 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #4 · Bird Id

Can you tell us where this was taken, and in what kind of habitat?

Jan 27, 2012 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sparadise
• •
p.1 #5 · Bird Id

Was taken at the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert,Az. Lots of vegetation and large ponds.

Jan 29, 2012 at 02:32 PM
sparadise
• •
p.1 #6 · Bird Id

Was definitely drying off but his predominant color was definitely black. Is this possible ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 02:38 PM
kluckie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Bird Id

sparadise wrote:
Was definitely drying off but his predominant color was definitely black. Is this possible ?

Look at the dried feathers just behind the head. Looks light grey to me. Also, if you take a light grey shirt and get it wet it will appear to be very dark or even black. The more and more I look at it I would say that it is a mockingbird.

Jan 30, 2012 at 03:14 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Bird Id

kluckie wrote:
Look at the dried feathers just behind the head. Looks light grey to me. Also, if you take a light grey shirt and get it wet it will appear to be very dark or even black. The more and more I look at it I would say that it is a mockingbird.

Add to that,the general shape of the body, the shape of the bill, the white wing patch, and the white outer feathers on the tail all point to Northern Mockingbird. So many things influence the color in a photo that it is often misleading.
Norm

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password