Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · One really bad ass SOB

Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · One really bad ass SOB

We arrived on the scene a little too late to see this bad boy in action -- he had just killed a female baboon and was jumped by two large male baboons -- apparently he dispatched them pretty quickly. No mean feat, because a male baboon can be a pretty tough customer -- two would make it a big time fight. Anyway, arrived as this boy was dragging the carcasses up into a tree. A little note of trivia -- don't play touchy feely with leopards -- they have been known to attack humans from the front by jumping on them, using their front claws to grab over the back of the head and rip the scalp off over the face, all the while kicking like crazy with their back feet and disemboweling their victim -- dead in about 5 seconds. No crawling up to this boy with my fisheye.

After he had the baboons stashed up the tree, we noticed a female leopard hanging around nearby. Turns out that the two of them were in the process of mating. In fact, they can spend several days mating -- sometimes doing it every 15-20 minutes or so. Another piece of trivia -- the male leopards have a bony barb on their penis -- to keep them coupled together I think -- but apparently it hurts big time when he pulls out. As a result, the female always shrieks a bit and twists around and and bites and swipes at him a couple of times. this makes a really good shot -- if you are lucky enough to get it. We stayed with this pair for 3 days, listening to their mating through the bushes and occasionally getting a glimpse -- but there was too much brush in the way to get that killer shot. That's the way it goes sometimes for a wildlife shooter.

Hope you enjoy, Andrew

Mombo Camp, Botswana, Nikon D3X, VR 600mm f/4G, f/4 @ 1/500, Iso 800

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #2 · One really bad ass SOB

This is a great portrait, and thanks for the story as well!

Mark

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:20 PM
sbruno
• • •
p.1 #3 · One really bad ass SOB

Holy crapola... simply amazing. Thanks for the great post!

Steve

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.1 #4 · One really bad ass SOB

love it

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · One really bad ass SOB

Love it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM
BearCreekLar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · One really bad ass SOB

Wow, he certainly does look like the title, great shot!
Larry

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #7 · One really bad ass SOB

Definitely not warm and fuzzy nature...

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:16 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · One really bad ass SOB

Nice shot Andrew. Leopards have been known to kill people especially in India where there have been a number of incidents in the last couple of years. However, the leopards one encounters on safari are generally habituated to vehicles and pose no threat to the tourists unless one does something very stupid. I have been around 30 different leopards over the years and have never had one threaten me or the vehicle. Giving them the space they want and allowing them to approach you is always the best way to avoid confrontation and not stress them. Their flight or fight distance is usually pretty easy to suss out from their body language and pushing it may get an unwanted and undesirable response.
And the barbed penis is characteristic of the big cats and cheetahs which is thought to explain the females post coital aggressive reaction...but I guess hormones outweigh pain!
Eric

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Benzzene
• • • •
p.1 #9 · One really bad ass SOB

He does look the part of a bad ass killer alright. Benzzene

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #10 · One really bad ass SOB

Beautiful shot. Scarface looks like he took a few from those baboons too !

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · One really bad ass SOB

Great intensity in the cat's gaze.
Douglas

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
p.1 #12 · One really bad ass SOB

the leopards one encounters on safari are generally habituated to vehicles and pose no threat to the tourists unless one does something very stupid. I have been around 30 different leopards over the years and have never had one threaten me or the vehicle.

Hi Eric -- never for a second meant to imply that this leopard was a threat to attack us in the open Land Rover -- in fact many times he was within 10-12ft of the car and there were absolutely no worries. But, as I said, I wasn't about to get out of the car with him around. I have never seen a cheetah mating, but have probably seen 12-15 lion mating's over the years and, while I do recognize that they have the barbs, have never seen the violent reaction that this female leopard had -- so I figured that this male leopard's barb must have been a beaut. All the best, Andrew

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:28 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · One really bad ass SOB

awesome story .. and images Andrew

Jan 26, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #14 · One really bad ass SOB

Handsome beast, he is... glad he made it through the scrap with those baboons. He looks as thought he's had a few run-ins, actually! Nice capture.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:47 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · One really bad ass SOB

Looks like he lost a few chunks in the battle too Andrew. Great capture and story.

Mike

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · One really bad ass SOB

very appropriate title for this scarred scrapper.
Great pic and narrative Andrew.
Martin

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · One really bad ass SOB

Wonderful shot and narrative.

Birdie

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · One really bad ass SOB

Both the shot and the story are great Andrew ~ Ron

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #19 · One really bad ass SOB

Andrew, very nice and intense close up. He is indeed a bad ass taking on 3 baboons. The only thing I've ever seen a Leopard cower from was a large pack of wild dogs that had treed him.
Jim

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #20 · One really bad ass SOB

Quite a shot.

The tension jumps from the image.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell