Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

I recently compared my file numbers from my first session with my Canon 7D to the most recent and saw 0099 from day 1 and 4569 from the last outing. If using continuous file numbering, is it accurate to describe the shutter count as <5000? I've never gone into the menu to reset the file sequence. I hope to determine an accurate count without installing software on my computer that I will never use again.

Thanks very much,
-Cam

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

It's not accurate to say the shutter count is below 5000. Not with the info you gave her. There are other ways the file numbers can change on your cards

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:28 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

Not with the 7D. The files are numbered something like 001-xxxx where 001 is the folder and xxxx are sequential frame numbers from 0001 to 9999. When you are shooting with a given card, the file numbering goes from 001-9999 to 002-0001, then sequentially from there.

Problem is, when you format the card, the folder number returns to 001. So if you format your cards on a regular basis like you should, and you don't rename your files, it's conceivable that you end up with photos with the same file name every series of 10,000 frames.

My 7D is on file name 001-4000 or so. I've lost count, that's either 64,000 or 74,000, as I have rolled over 9999 a few times.

Also as Lars mentioned, if you juggle cards between cameras, the 7D (all Canons, I think) will look at the last frame shot on that card (even if you've formatted the card in camera), and start from there if the number is higher. For example, if your last file name you shot with your 7D is 001-4000, and then you switch cards and the new card you insert in your 7D last had a file name of 001-6000, the next frame shot by the 7D will be 001-6001.

Mark

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #4 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

Thanks very much for the information. With that in mind, can you recommend a reliable piece of software to determine actuations on the 7D? Thanks again.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:01 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

It has been discussed here before, but it's not easy to do. I think you will find what you need somewhere in this long thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1009758

Mark

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #6 · Continuous file numbers...accurate for shutter count?

msalvetti wrote:
It has been discussed here before, but it's not easy to do. I think you will find what you need somewhere in this long thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1009758

Mark

After reading the thread I did something less scientific (and less painful ) and simply went through photos taken with the 7D and came up with 5445. Obviously I've tossed some into the trash along the way but the exercise was somewhat helpful. Thanks again...

Jan 27, 2012 at 04:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password