Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · battery grip and vibrations

KiboOst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · battery grip and vibrations

Hi,

With 1Dx announcement and seems no more 1series high megapixels, it seems I will have to change my 1DsII for next 5D if it is around 25mp. Or going D800 and selling all Canon gear.
I shoot mainly on tripod, up to 400mm, allways low iso (50 or 100 never above).
Actually I have monobloc 1DsII and RRS L bracket. This system is really sturdy on my tripod.

I would like to know long lenses tripod shooter if there is problems with vibrations with 5DII+grip+L bracket+long lense. Has there is more interfaces/pieces/fixations from tripod to the lense, is there any vibration problem versus 1series ? With 100-400L I put the lense on the tripod head, but with 24-70, 90tse, 135/2 the body is.

Also, the 1 series feels really strong in hand, I love the integrated grip for handling and portrait shooting. Each time I touch a 5D it feels like a toy. So how feels a 5D+grip ? Does Nikon D700/800 line feels better ? Weight isn't an issue, 1DsII feels good and well balanced, never use a strap.

Thks for any insight.
Kib

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · battery grip and vibrations

I don't see why you'd have to change the 1DsII... and if you do have to change it for a higher mp body why not a 1DsIII? As for the feel of a gripped vs a 1 series then yes, I prefer the 1 series but only by a minuscule amount. To be honest it's most likely just the knowledge that I'm using a 1 series rather than an actual preference. I know feel is important and so are other issues but it's a minor point I think when comparing gripped cameras

Jan 26, 2012 at 01:27 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · battery grip and vibrations

Ok, thanks, so feeling shouldn't be a problem as IQ stay the most important.
I did compared both 1DsIII and 1DsII in the studio before choosing and while 1DsIII being a bit better everywhere it was not a noticable upgrade enough for me.
The only thing will make me change is resolution and low iso IQ. Even if I love 1series for handling, 100% viewfinder, dual cards, customization, fast blackout lag and so much you know .... But if Canon don't do real 1DsIII upgrade, let's see what Nikon do.

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · battery grip and vibrations

You will get a bit of flex on a gripped body that is tripod mounted. It's not a lot, but it doesn't take much to be noticeable. I used to be a big fan of the grips, but now I certainly appreciate the smaller size of the cameras without a grip. It's easier to store them in camera bags, and the fact that they are lighter also makes a difference.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · battery grip and vibrations

KiboOst wrote:
...Has there is more interfaces/pieces/fixations from tripod to the lense, is there any vibration problem versus 1series ? With 100-400L I put the lense on the tripod head, but with 24-70, 90tse, 135/2 the body is.

I've used the 24-70L, 135/2L and Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO with gripped 30D, 40D, 5D, and 7D cameras. I've never had any particular problems with grip flexure (not to say that it doesn't occur), as long as the grip is tightly attached. OTOH, now I use 1D-series bodies for most of my photography, with an un-gripped 5D on the side. Of course, if you ever notice any extra flex with an add-on grip, then you can simply take it off. My RRS L-bracket for the 5D is for the ungripped configuration.

Jan 27, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · battery grip and vibrations

I agree with Jim. I've never had a problem with sharpness of twilight/night time exposures with 5D/grip and 24-70L.

Jan 27, 2012 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password