Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 11-16/2.8 II

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 11-16/2.8 II

11-16/2.8 II.

Great move IMHO. Hopefully the better coating will give it better flare resistance. I just wise it would be offered in other mounts as well. Only Nikon and Canon is so 20th century...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 26, 2012 at 07:00 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 11-16/2.8 II

Yakim Peled wrote:
11-16/2.8 II.

Great move IMHO. Hopefully the better coating will give it better flare resistance. I just wise it would be offered in other mounts as well. Only Nikon and Canon is so 20th century...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Put the mounts where the sales are. For DSLR they represent the vast majority. I'm sure Pentax and Sony will come later.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:47 AM
Langran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 11-16/2.8 II

looks brilliant. I have been considering the mkI version for a while but since I already have a sigma I think I'll wait until the mkII is around and upgrade. cheers for pointing it out!

Jan 26, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 11-16/2.8 II

The original version was available in Sony mount.
Wonder how good is the new focus motor and if it's the real deal this time around (probably not).

Jan 26, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 11-16/2.8 II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Put the mounts where the sales are. For DSLR they represent the vast majority. I'm sure Pentax and Sony will come later.

MFT and NEX mount are very popular in recent years. I'm planing to buy the OM-D and despite the size and weight of this lens I'd buy one if it had a native MFT mount. 22-32/2.8 is a great combination of wide FLs.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:51 PM
photosenior
• • •
p.1 #6 · 11-16/2.8 II

When they say"The one-touch focus clutch, AF-MF transition is simply sliding the focus ring to the front side. Feeling when manual focus, reasonable torque in the sense focus ring allows precise focusing. " is this like the canon L focus system with the focus ring manually over riding the AF?

Also I dont see the first version on the FM review board. has this been a good lens for people?

Thanks,
Ben

Jan 26, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #7 · 11-16/2.8 II

It's like focusing a manual focus lens...there is no AF when the focus ring in MF mode.

The FM review...Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:16 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 11-16/2.8 II

Interesting. Updating probably their best lens.

I have the original 11-16. I freaking love it. What am I going to do now? I want the II! Haha.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 11-16/2.8 II

Yakim Peled wrote:
MFT and NEX mount are very popular in recent years. I'm planing to buy the OM-D and despite the size and weight of this lens I'd buy one if it had a native MFT mount. 22-32/2.8 is a great combination of wide FLs.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Hey, I thought it was just wishful thinking but now I'm getting really exited.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 11-16/2.8 II

Yakim Peled wrote:
Hopefully the better coating will give it better flare resistance.

I've owned the 11-16 for some time and, in my experience, it has shown BETTER than average flare handling! Actually, I've been impressed with it in regards to flare even as compared to Canon L glass used side-by-side it in the same flare-inducing situations.

I've also heard mention of chromatic aberration issues with this lens but, in my experience, I have never noticed it. Granted, I never went looking for it, either. But I do have some lenses, such as the Canon 85/1.8, where chromatic aberration sticks out like a sore thumb whether you go looking for it or not.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 11-16/2.8 II

D. Diggler wrote:
I've owned the 11-16 for some time and, in my experience, it has shown BETTER than average flare handling! Actually, I've been impressed with it in regards to flare even as compared to Canon L glass used side-by-side it in the same flare-inducing situations.

I once compared a friend's 11-16 to my 10-22. The 11-16 was slightly sharper but the 10-22 had much better flare resistance. As I live in a sunny country good flare resistance is very important for me. This is especially true with UWA lenses as avoiding the sun in the frame usually ruins your planned composition.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:56 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #12 · 11-16/2.8 II

I thought the 11-16 handled the flare pretty good as well.

I never noticed a significant problem with the CA as well...although this can be addressed in PP,haven't really seen the need...though I do out of habit,doing the CA correction in PP,because it's simple to do.

After I seen the original post last night...did a quick search...the upgrade addresses a few issues including CA...

Below is a Google translated.....

Achieved by adopting high-dimensional depiction of ultra-low dispersion glass and aspherical lens
P-aspheric lens placed in front of the group MO. Together with molded glass aspherical lens placed in the rear lens group which, while correcting the distortion, we are ideally each aberration correction. In addition, SD very close to fluorite (ultra low dispersion) glass, “FK03″ by adopting two, we aim to eliminate chromatic aberration.

Adoption of new coating(edit:nothing to do with flare that I can see.I never really had a problem with flare,even shooting directly into the sun during sunsets)
AT is well received generally taken to improve the multi-coating as well as X 116 PRO DX has a more smooth gradation of the shadows.

GMR sensor "magnetic sensor Precision"(edit:this is interesting,though I never noticed a problem with AF speed)
AT-X 16-28 F2.8 PRO FX like, AT-X 116 PRO DX II to the GMR sensor mounted directly under the high-resolution focus. Focus control enables precise than the rotation detection sensor is used as a normal AF sensor control, and succeeded in accelerating the speed AF as a result.

The newly developed SD-M "Silent Drive-Module"(edit:I never thought the original was that loud or offensive)
Using high-quiet DC motor, sealed by the shape and integral gear reducer motor, quiet to significantly enhanced.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Bruce_T
• •
p.1 #13 · 11-16/2.8 II

Sweet! I was prepared to manually focus the current 11-16mm on my Nikon, so autofocus will be a bonus that I will happily await. I do hope that the price stays close to its current level . . .

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 11-16/2.8 II

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Tokina has just joined the m4/3 club. What's good for APS-C isn't necessarily good for m4/3. I'd rather a different FL range.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 11-16/2.8 II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Tokina has just joined the m4/3 club. What's good for APS-C isn't necessarily good for m4/3. I'd rather a different FL range.

Of course. Nevertheless, making an MFT version of an existing lens requires very little R&D and hence time-to-market can be very short. And, at least IMHO, MFT is not very different than APS-C. Personally, I'd also love a Tamron 60/2 on MFT.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:45 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 11-16/2.8 II

photosenior wrote:
Also I dont see the first version on the FM review board. has this been a good lens for people?

Thanks,
Ben

Hmmm....it's right here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=352
There's also a review there by me....excellent lens!

Omar

Jan 27, 2012 at 01:22 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 11-16/2.8 II

The Tokina 11-16 is a very fine lens. If they've found a way to improve it, well even better!

Jan 27, 2012 at 09:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password