Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

The 24-105 f/4 and 5D(II) is a match made in heaven if you don't need anything faster. The 24-105 is relatively small and lightweight...perfect for a walkaround lens.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Richard Nye wrote:
The 24-105 f/4 and 5D(II) is a match made in heaven if you don't need anything faster. The 24-105 is relatively small and lightweight...perfect for a walkaround lens.

Except that he wants a cheap lens, I think we would all agree.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

The 5D mkII deserves a 24-105L IS. Other glass mentioned below this is a waste, especially since you seem to like high quality Zeiss glass. Go for it. I bet the combo will give you that much EOSfun you will often wonder and ask yourself if that Zeiss glass is used often enough. If that's is not the case because you find the 24-105L too low quality you will definitely be dissatisfied with a 28-105 or other glass below the 24-105L.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

The 5D III with the 24-70L II is my idea of a match made in Heaven ... and it will probably become a reality sooner rather than later. But yeah, for now, you can't go very wrong with the 5D II and 24-105L ... but it would be even better if you use Lightroom 3, as you can remove all the distortion with one mouse click.

Richard Nye wrote:

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

I would agree with getting the 5DII/24-105 kit. That way the lens cost is what, about $500? (don't know how many pounds sterling extra the lens costs). You can also get used ones pretty cheap (depends on what "cheap" means).

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

The 5DII and 24-105L has to be the best kit values Canon offers since you end up with a great L for about 50% of retail. You can buy that lens in a kit, use it for a few years, sell it and never loose a dime. That's a hard deal to beat.

Dave

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Don't go putting a cheap zoom lens on the 5d2... If you don't have a lot of money for a quality zoom, then stick with your zeiss until you can afford an L series zoom.

IMO You shouldn't buy a 5d2 if you can only afford a cheap zoom afterwards... You'd get better results with a 60D with better glass on it.Non-L zooms are made for APS-C cameras.

I have the 24-105 as my primary walkaround lens and it is fantastic.

Jan 27, 2012 at 06:05 AM
alitech

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Gents, I am pleased to tell you that I went ahead and bought the full kit with the 24-105 L IS USM. An opportunity presented itself and I bought the kit from the US which has saved me around £700. Just another example of rip-off Britain.

I have a cousin coming down next week and she will bring this with her. Sorted!

Now I need to start worrying about adapters and AF confirm thingymajig for my Zeiss lenses. Sigh

Jan 27, 2012 at 08:35 AM
alitech

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Ok, Leitax adapters are "nice" in your opnion but unfortunately it doesnt really mean much to me. Can you please qualify your statement there?

BTW, does anyone know how AF confirm chips work on a ZOOM lens like the Contax 35-70 3.4 or are these chips only used on primes?

mco_970 wrote:
PS. you can Leitax them and then use a Canon EF > NEX converter. Leitax adapters are really nice.

Jan 27, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

I only have the AF confirm adaptor for M42 screw mount lenses and the way it works is to tell the camera that you've mounted a 50 f1.4 lens. This activates the AF confirm function but does nothing else and really is independent of the lens itself.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you are going to love it!

I wouldn't bother with AF confirm chips on adapters. I've only gotten about 50% results, meaning I've wasted a lot of money on adapters with chips, only to rip them off when they proved inaccurate or non-functional. Save yourself some time and money and buy simple adapters, such as those from Fotodiox, for around $20 each, and do your manual focusing by eyeball or Live View.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

alitech - you might get more advice on adapters in the "Alternate Gear and Lenses" forum.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

another vote for the tammy 28/75; excellent iq and 2.8 through the range. Used for $275~ish on the b&s board.
24/105 is also a nice lens; enjoy!

Jan 27, 2012 at 02:55 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

even though you have purchased i felt i would comment in case somebody revisits this thread in the future. (Canon offerings)
super cheap: 24-85 II
slightly better: 28-105 II
slightly more: 28-135
best: 24-105

Jan 27, 2012 at 04:54 PM
alitech

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

parsons wrote:
i think you wil find the mk2 will exaberate that lenses failures very quickly.
i would spend a bit more and get the 24-105. love mine, but also have the same contaxes you got except the 35-70 as i couldnt find one
the adapters i got where http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contax-Canon-Adapter-Hi-Precision-AF-Confirm-OPTIX-V5-/380356877168?pt=UK_Photography_Adapter_Rings&hash=item588f095b70
excellent build QC
have a look here, whilst i wont ever sell them kit for the price you get back, but i am happy occasionaly to purchase from them.
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/

simon

Just saw this, thought you might be interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370580723258&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_547wt_1031

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best all purpose EF zoom lens to carry around on top of CZ primes

I own several fotodiox "pro" adapters. They all get infinity focus, but are a bit loose with my Leica lenses. The money is in the adapter, not the chip's. I would buy the chips seperate (20-25$ each). I agree that the focus confirm does not always work, but sometimes it helps. With a zoom lens, the chip will always report the same focal length, what ever you program it as.
I would like to upgrade to the Letiax mount adapters some day, priority on my heavier lenses.

JP

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.