Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Nancy Asquith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Adobe has decided not to upgrade Photoshop CS3 to read RAW files in newer cameras. I cannot afford to upgrade to CS5. What is the best workaround? I know CNET has a free download to fix this for MACs, but it does not have one for Windows.

For background see this thread
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=802626

BTW: Is Canon likely to create a Photoshop plug-in for its newer cameras or at least provide software that will convert the latest version of its camera-raw-equivalent to an older Canon version that older versions of PS can read?

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

You can download the FREE DNG converter from adobe.

But you may want to consider the upgrade to cs5 now as from CS6 any upgrades will only be allowed from the previous version

To you other questions

NO
It's adobe (and the other raw software makers) that write the code . It's not a plugin provided by canon. As far as canon go they provide an upgrade able raw software that will work with you .cr2 files.

Each raw Is unique to that body. Ie even though the 7d 60d etc share the same sensor they do not share the same raw conversion . So when the 60D came out you could not use the adobe converter for the 7D .

Oh and the raw engine from the later photoshop (and Lightroom 3) is much better than the older versions. Noise reduction for one thing is much much better. And going by the beta version of lr4 that's out now it's getting even better.

Edited on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Nancy Asquith wrote:
Adobe has decided not to upgrade Photoshop CS3 to read RAW files in newer cameras. I cannot afford to upgrade to CS5. What is the best workaround?

Use the free software that came with your Rebel: DPP. Default conversion is better than ACR and you can set DPP to open the converted TIFF in CS3 for further tweaks if needed.

I use DPP, ACR and Aperture 3 and I am often amazed when DPP nails it with the least amount of clicks.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
But you may want to consider the upgrade to cs5 now as from CS6 any upgrades will only be allowed from the previous version

Actually, Adobe backed off that policy. Anyone running CS3 or CS4 will be able to upgrade to CS6 (due out this spring) until December 31, 2012, and get the same perpetual license we are used to (as opposed to the new monthly subscription option).

What we don't know yet is what the upgrade cost will be, and if it will cost more to upgrade from CS3/CS4 than the current CS5.
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

So probably no need to rush out and upgrade now - I suspect the leap from CS3 to CS6 will be less than the cost of CS3==>CS5==>CS6.

But yeah, save up and don't blow the chance to get CS6 while you can.

Mark

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Canon DPP has a send to photoshop function which converts the CR2 files to tiff so they work with old photoshop versions, and, it came free with your camera. You can do a whole batch of images at once.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:01 AM
AlphaValues

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

photivo.org

Jan 25, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Rebel t3i RAW files do not open in Photoshop cs3

Nancy Asquith wrote:
Adobe has decided not to upgrade Photoshop CS3 to read RAW files in newer cameras. I cannot afford to upgrade to CS5. What is the best workaround? I know CNET has a free download to fix this for MACs, but it does not have one for Windows.

For background see this thread
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=802626

BTW: Is Canon likely to create a Photoshop plug-in for its newer cameras or at least provide software that will convert the latest version of its camera-raw-equivalent to an older Canon version that older versions of PS can read?

This is how Adobe forces photographers to upgrade their software. Sadly, this is nothing new. The others here have addressed the potential workarounds. They'll certainly work, but it does add an extra step to your processing.

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password