Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with a teleconverter

viczig
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with a teleconverter

My daughter who shoots with a Canon 50D is interested in the 2X Extender III for use with her 70-200l 2.8 version 1 lens. Can anyone comment on this combination.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with a teleconverter

I have the 2X III, but I use it mostly on a 300 F2.8. I have mounted it on my 70-200 F2.8 II and it doesn't affect that lens hardly at all as far as AF speed or IQ. I think the only way she will really know if it's right for her is to get one and try it. It WILL work, but it will slow the AF speed and may reduce the IQ to a point where she is not happy.

Jo

Jan 23, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with a teleconverter

I tried the 2x II on my version 1 (when I still owned one) and the hit in IQ was substantial enough that I didn't ever use it. I don't believe I had a particularly outstanding copy of the 70-200, and I was never happy with any extenders on it. The 70-200 II, however, is a completely different story, and in combination with the 2x III is well-known already as being surprisingly stellar...this in spite of the fact that I understand the extenders to be designed largely for use with the supertelephoto primes...

I recommend borrowing or renting one before purchase; a comparably small cost to see for herself...

Jerry

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:09 PM
AmIgone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with a teleconverter

I got the 2x II when I got my 70-200 2.8 IS. I took some test shots and seen the hit on IQ and it sat on my shelf until I got my 500 f4. I would not suggest it but YMMV.

George

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with a teleconverter

viczig wrote:
My daughter who shoots with a Canon 50D is interested in the 2X Extender III for use with her 70-200l 2.8 version 1 lens. Can anyone comment on this combination.

Thanks in advance.

not sure it would be worth it on that lens, maybe you'd capture a trace more detail than using a 1.4x TC but not sure that would be worth the general extra ugliness it would add to the image and that it would slow AF even more

I might look at the 1.4x (even that will degrade IQ and AF but most feel it is worth it in this case)

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Jimna

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with a teleconverter

So the 1.4xII wouldnt be worth the money to add distance to my 70-200 2.8 IS mI?
...and the 2xII will kill the IQ to much to be worth it also?

(this will be on a 5d2)

Just save the extra (near double) for the 2xIII is the moral of the story? I have been shopping for the 2xII so I have to ask before I pull the trigger.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave C
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with a teleconverter

Could your daughter take her camera and lens to a local dealer and shoot some images using the TC, then go home and check them out on the computer? This might allow her to decide on the IQ, AF limitations.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:16 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with a teleconverter

The main weakness in the version one is when you get towards 200mm. Its not bad, but, a TC magnify's that weakness. The lens is very good at shorter focal lengths, but you don't need a TC for short focal lengths.

I'd put the money away toward a 100-400mm L or a 400mm f/5.6 L.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with a teleconverter

I certainly didn't see a weakness in my mk 1 at longer FL. I regularly used it wide open or near wide-open @ 200mm. I also found IQ with the 1.4x was still good, but not suffered a lot more with the 2x

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:42 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with a teleconverter

Jimna wrote:
So the 1.4xII wouldnt be worth the money to add distance to my 70-200 2.8 IS mI?
...and the 2xII will kill the IQ to much to be worth it also?

(this will be on a 5d2)

Just save the extra (near double) for the 2xIII is the moral of the story? I have been shopping for the 2xII so I have to ask before I pull the trigger.

I'd save the money and skip 2iii too it's still not worth it for that lens IMO
i'd just grab 1.4x III if you care about edge sharpness too or 1.4x ii if not

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:49 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with a teleconverter

viczig wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Like has been said above don't bother with the 2x on the mk1 2.8 is . There is a test floating round on the net pitting that combo against a 100-400 and it's quite shocking how bad the lens & TC does. That lens just does not take the TC well at all. But then most lenses suffer too much with the 2x on .

Jan 25, 2012 at 07:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password