Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Snow white bird (8)

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Snow white bird (8)

Last fall was pretty good for colours, but not as many waders in the marshes I frequent.

Edited on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Snow white bird (8)

Peter, you do have some gorgeous marsh areas ! Wish our marsh/swamps had some of those colors. Great shots as always.

Birdie

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Snow white bird (8)

Thank you, Roberta.
Indeed, I am blessed with 2-3 nature preservations in our area which generate nice enough backgrounds. There is also some variety of birds here and there. The difficulty usually comes in when one tries to get a close enough and half decent bird shots against one of those backgrounds. The two seldom coincide

Here's two more fairly distant flights (thank god for 800L ) and two closer ones.

Edited on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:05 PM
trailhiker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Snow white bird (8)

Fine, well-exposed looks at this GE, Peter. Highlights looking about as controlled as they can be for this white bird. I'm going with #3 for the GE's sunlight stripiing.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:31 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Snow white bird (8)

Peter, really love the last four images you posted with 3 & 4 being my favorites.
In 3 the transition of the black to the green and then the backlit wings, gorgeous!
In 4 the reflections, not only the reflection of the egret in the water, but the reflection of the water on the egret, stunning.

Birdie

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Snow white bird (8)

Nice job on these, Peter. I like the feel and the composition of the first image. I wonder how it would look with the inclusion of the whole reflection.
The second image look a bit over-processed on my monitor plus I can see some "ghost feet" (two pairs) on the lower part of the real feet, probably the result of some cloning.
Lovely light in the third one with the water reflection on the birds body adding to the image.
4, 5 and 6 are excellent IF captures, with #5 being probably the most difficult one.
#6 shows a nice, translucent, wing feathers display. It also shows a red/magenta cast on my monitor. Easy fix
Last one is sweet! I like the inclusion of the reflection and the soft light. The compo is nice, but I can see the bird a bit higher on the frame. But that is just a personal choice
A job well done, Peter, with a very good control of the whites
Cumpa'

Jan 23, 2012 at 05:58 PM
raymondjbarlow
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Snow white bird (8)

Superb shots! Congrats.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Snow white bird (8)

trailhiker wrote:
Fine, well-exposed looks at this GE, Peter. Highlights looking about as controlled as they can be for this white bird. I'm going with #3 for the GE's sunlight stripiing.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Thank you, Steve......the ripple reflection just happened.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:31 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Snow white bird (8)

birdied wrote:
Peter, really love the last four images you posted with 3 & 4 being my favorites.
In 3 the transition of the black to the green and then the backlit wings, gorgeous!
In 4 the reflections, not only the reflection of the egret in the water, but the reflection of the water on the egret, stunning.Birdie

You do see very well Roberta ......the water ripple reflections seem to happen in early mornings, particularly when the full blast of the Sun is not on the bird.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Snow white bird (8)

Excellent birdscape pic in # 1 Peter with a great comp too.
#2 looks look very, very sharp in # 2 particularly the back of, and lines on, the wings and the feet also and I'm sure I read that you do very little pp?
Lovely mood in # 3 and a wonderful full wingspread in the second last one.
Martin

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschrade
• • •
p.1 #11 · Snow white bird (8)

Really nice shots of a magnificent bird. Yeah, like those ripple reflections.

George

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Snow white bird (8)

Shasoc wrote:
Nice job on these, Peter. I like the feel and the composition of the first image. I wonder how it would look with the inclusion of the whole reflection.
The second image look a bit over-processed on my monitor plus I can see some "ghost feet" (two pairs) on the lower part of the real feet, probably the result of some cloning.
Lovely light in the third one with the water reflection on the birds body adding to the image.
4, 5 and 6 are excellent IF captures, with #5 being probably the most difficult one.
#6 shows a nice, translucent,
...Show more

Cumpa, your eyesight is better than mine. Indeed, there is a cloning ghost there. As far as the colour cast is concerned, you may well be right, however, I just can not distinguish fine grades of colour and tone as well as I used to.
Thanx for your assistance, Cumpa.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:38 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Snow white bird (8)

raymondjbarlow wrote:
Superb shots! Congrats.

Thanx Ray, I am glad you like them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Snow white bird (8)

Martin Good wrote:
Excellent birdscape pic in # 1 Peter with a great comp too.
#2 looks look very, very sharp in # 2 particularly the back of, and lines on, the wings and the feet also and I'm sure I read that you do very little pp?
Lovely mood in # 3 and a wonderful full wingspread in the second last one.
Martin

Thank you, Martin, indeed, I try not to do any pp if I can help it, but sometimes I do it against my better judgement. What you may see on #2 is the result of over-cropping. I can not even remember what else I did on it because it's an older shot.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:43 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Snow white bird (8)

gschrade wrote:
Really nice shots of a magnificent bird. Yeah, like those ripple reflections.

George

Thank you, George. Can't beat the proximity to target.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #16 · Snow white bird (8)

Great shots Petkal!
The whites are so perfect

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Snow white bird (8)

Great set Peter, though I won't see any of these guys for months to come. The last three are my favs.

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:43 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Snow white bird (8)

Thank you, Lethal, shooting JPG helps.
You are the man I wanted to touch base with re 800mm.
Shots #1, 5 and 6 were done with 800L, those were some real long range shots that I wouldn't even try getting with a shorter lens. Now, the beauty of it was that they were done handheld: the lens weight is still tolerable although not joyful on an old body , and 4 stop IS works like a charm. Granted, the target was large, stationary or slow moving. Under those conditions, 800L sings even in my hands. .
(#2 was done with 400 f/5.6, the others with 500 f/4).

Edited on Jan 23, 2012 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:50 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Snow white bird (8)

Herb Houghton wrote:
Great set Peter, though I won't see any of these guys for months to come. The last three are my favs.

Thanx Herb, most of those shots are from last fall.....there is nothing around here of the sort now.

Jan 23, 2012 at 08:52 PM
z06jim
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Snow white bird (8)

Great looking captures Peter...the last two are my favorites of the set.....

Jan 23, 2012 at 09:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password