Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Butterflies are Nature

normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Butterflies are Nature

Even if they are in a Botanical Garden, I suppose. Some color for all you snowbound souls.

But just to show that it's not all that easy when trying to identify butterflies, they have a nasty habit of having very different color patterns within the same species, depending on where they live. If interested try Googling "Postman butterfly" images and take a look.

This one is named a Postman, for some reason (Heliconius melpomene)

Canon EOS 7D    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/22.0    1/100s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mocker Swallowtail (Papilio dordanus)

Canon EOS 7D    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/22.0    1/100s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Queen Owl (Caligo atreus)

Also a Postman (Heliconius melpomene)

Edited on Jan 22, 2012 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:28 PM
mike717
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Butterflies are Nature

Thanks Norm, nice to see something other that white and brown.
Nice assortment.

Mike

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:36 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Butterflies are Nature

mike717 wrote:
Thanks Norm, nice to see something other that white and brown.
Nice assortment.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Every year this botanical garden has an ever changing 6 or 7 months crop of exotic butterflies and moths. It is a little tropical sauna at this time of year. They sell a photo guide to the species but the top of the wings are often very different from the underside of the wings. It seems all of my photos are of the side they don't show in the guide
Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:18 PM
raymondjbarlow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Butterflies are Nature

Nice set of collections! Superb!!

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:24 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Butterflies are Nature

raymondjbarlow wrote:
Nice set of collections! Superb!!

Thanks Raymond.
Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Butterflies are Nature

Very nice work Norm. You have inspired me to head to the butterfly exhibit as I usually do once a year for a change of pace. I don't think I have ever seen a Mocker Swallowtail, interesting looking butterfly. All of these are very well done, I really enjoyed the set.

Tim

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Butterflies are Nature

Beautiful set Norm. Lovely compositions and lighting. Have never seen a mocker swallowtail, what a beautiful butterfly. You make we want to head to our local butterfly exhibit

Lovely set and a nice change of pace .

Birdie

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Butterflies are Nature

very nice butterflys Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Butterflies are Nature

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Very nice work Norm. You have inspired me to head to the butterfly exhibit as I usually do once a year for a change of pace. I don't think I have ever seen a Mocker Swallowtail, interesting looking butterfly. All of these are very well done, I really enjoyed the set.

Tim

Thanks Tim. This was a first for me too. Not too surprising though--they are native to Africa! This was the first time I have been back to this exhibit for several years. I always seem to forget it.
Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Butterflies are Nature

birdied wrote:
Beautiful set Norm. Lovely compositions and lighting. Have never seen a mocker swallowtail, what a beautiful butterfly. You make we want to head to our local butterfly exhibit

Lovely set and a nice change of pace .

Birdie

Birdie, Thanks. Like I told Tim, this species is native to Africa. I'm amazed at the variation within a species depending on their location. I haven't paid much attention to insects in the past, so this was a surprise to me. With your talent in macro, you should have a ball with butterflies Go for it!
Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Butterflies are Nature

kmunroe wrote:
very nice butterflys Norm

Thanks KM.
Norm

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Butterflies are Nature

Very nice Norm

Morris

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Butterflies are Nature

morris wrote:
Very nice Norm

Morris

Glad you like them Morris, Thanks.
Norm

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Butterflies are Nature

I like all of these Norm ~ Ron

Jan 23, 2012 at 01:55 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Butterflies are Nature

very nice! as i shoot birds and such and always use a really wide aperture, i was wondering if there is there a particular reason that you used f/22 (and ISO 800) in these photos? was this to maximize DOF or something else that i am missing? cool either way!

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:09 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Butterflies are Nature

surfnron wrote:
I like all of these Norm ~ Ron

Thanks for commenting Ron.
Norm

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:40 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Butterflies are Nature

dorian wrote:
very nice! as i shoot birds and such and always use a really wide aperture, i was wondering if there is there a particular reason that you used f/22 (and ISO 800) in these photos? was this to maximize DOF or something else that i am missing? cool either way!

Dorian, Thanks. I assume that you are shooting birds with a telephoto and use a fast shutter speed to go along with your wide open aperture to minimize camera and subject movement. With macro where I have very narrow dof, using a narrow aperture gives the best dof. I could probably use a lower ISO but I was mixing some with flash and some with ambient light and didn't bother to change the ISO.
Norm

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:49 AM
Benzzene
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Butterflies are Nature

Nice shots...I was planning on going myself to see these critters. ZZ

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:12 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Butterflies are Nature

Thanks Michael. When you go make sure you put your camera inside a closed plastic bag for probably 20 minutes so that it can warm up before you take it out. The humidity is very high and very warm. Foggy lenses may give you a dreamy look but for butterflies, they suck.

Norm

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Butterflies are Nature

Hi Norm!
I attend these Conservatory butterfly shows all the time for the exotic bf's. Nothing wrong with that at all!!
Here in Maryland we have "photographer's only" butterfly shoots at the local Conservatories in the summer. Only 10 photographers at a time and any/all eqpt you can bring.

Nice images!!! Great color and sharpness!

A FYI on the unique "mocker swallowtail" quoting from Bernard d'Abrera-World Butterflies-"the most famous case of polymorphism..are considered by workers to mimic the properties of other species in the region and is famously called the "lookalike dardanus swt." Native to Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
Dan

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password