Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

The 50mm macro does not have a hood available but I wish it did. I think it would help prevent the accidental bumps to the moving element that sometimes ruin the 50mm f/1.4.

Has anyone figured out something that would work as a lens hood for the 50mm macro?

Jan 22, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

datousteve -- The 50/2.5 Macro doesn't really need a hood for imaging purposes as the elements are so deep within the body of the lens. If you want a little protection, you can easily buy a screw-in metal lens hood from any number of Chinese makers at very cheap prices. I would recommend the wide-angle depth, since the lens is already well "hooded" and a standard hood may cause severe vignetting.

I've bought a number of hoods with caps from heavystar (shorter for 100L, Zeiss Contax 80-200, etc.), shipping from California for faster US delivery. Although they are slightly more expensive than a plain hood from Asia, they offer the cap so you don't need to remove the hood (cap is size up from 52mm). Here's their wide angle 52mm version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Wide-Angle-52mm-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Cap-/200694928136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eba599308

Jan 22, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

I've owned the 50 2.5 for 20 years and have yet to bump the front element. It's so deeply set you would have to poke it with a tree branch to nail it. No doggie nose is skinny and long enough to pierce that orificial. However, if you must, there are plenty of aftermarket screw in hoods available. They are sold in rough FF designations, e.g., wide, normal and tele. Probably the wide would be safe as the normal might vignette at 1:2. I have an old 55mm metal Sigma hood (wide) that fits with an adapter ring (52/55). Makes the lens look more dashing and attractive to geeky women. My rubber 52mm Nikon hood works well too.

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:00 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

You don't need a hood for it. If you want one, I'll give you the one that came with mine if you pay shipping (like you don't pay me anything for the hood, just what I pay in shipping).

I never use it as it doesn't need it, but the offer is there.

It mounts onto a UV filter (another item that isn't need, but I've got it if you want it).

It's a Tiffen 52mm Sky 1-A filter with a Sigma Perfect hood.

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:18 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #5 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Hello,

My concern isn't bumping the front element; it's bumping the portion that extends and retracts into the lens. I'm afraid that bumping that portion while it is extended over time may cause the lens to break down. I like to wear my camera on a sling and when doing so, the body (and lens) sometimes may bump into things. That's another reason why I like using hoods when possible.

I was hoping of finding a lens hood similar to the 50mm f/1.4 (e.g., mounts to the body of the lens rather than the moving portion like in the 50mm f/1.8). Or maybe my fear is simply paranoia?

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

We have no idea how clumsy or reckless you are!

There is a reason that no bayonet mounting is available for this lens. Based on the comments here, you should understand this lens's purpose is to generally be used in a methodical way. I wouldn't consider it a gonzo PJ lens.

I guess I don't understand the "sling" aspect, compared to a traditional neck strap. Even with one camera around my neck and the strap of another over my shoulder, I don't bang cameras around. It's against my principles to casually bang or damage equipment.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Gunzorro wrote:
We have no idea how clumsy or reckless you are!

There is a reason that no bayonet mounting is available for this lens. Based on the comments here, you should understand this lens's purpose is to generally be used in a methodical way. I wouldn't consider it a gonzo PJ lens.

I guess I don't understand the "sling" aspect, compared to a traditional neck strap. Even with one camera around my neck and the strap of another over my shoulder, I don't bang cameras around. It's against my principles to casually bang or damage equipment.

Might work okay at a wedding but you probably haven't hiked in back country with such a setup. It's really difficult to manage one camera on a strap let alone two while climbing over a rock or log. Something is bound to swing or slip off. By wearing your strap sling style you minimize swinging and slipping off the shoulder. Still, I prefer a chest harness to lock the camera down for really rough terrain (or put it in the bag).

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Gochugogi -- Oh, I see what you mean by "sling" style -- one side of neck, and under the armpit! In hiking situations I usually I carry a highly padded camera bag (Lowepro Magnum 400 AW type). Often I'll just take one camera body and lens on neck strap, keeping a hand on it to keep it stable. I don't like hiking with free-swinging gear.

I know I sound like a priss, but I've never dropped, scratched, dented, or scraped a camera lens or body in 30+ years. I've taken a couple missteps, but the camera bag has always protected the gear. And I do consider myself clumsy.

It's like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #9 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

I'm not particularly clumsy and have never dropped my gear or heavily bumped it. However, even when it's on a sling and i'm walking around, my hip has a chance of bumping the lens. When using lenses with hoods such as the 50mm f/1.4, the most i'd bump is the hood. With the 50mm macro, I may bump the part that extends and retracts out of the lens. For that reason, I go through the process of 1) switching to manual focus and 2) focusing at infinity. With a hood, I can skip this entire process.

Again, this could just be me being too careful with my gear.

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:57 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Better too careful than too careless!

Jan 23, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Gunzorro wrote:
Gochugogi -- Oh, I see what you mean by "sling" style -- one side of neck, and under the armpit! In hiking situations I usually I carry a highly padded camera bag (Lowepro Magnum 400 AW type). Often I'll just take one camera body and lens on neck strap, keeping a hand on it to keep it stable. I don't like hiking with free-swinging gear.

I know I sound like a priss, but I've never dropped, scratched, dented, or scraped a camera lens or body in 30+ years. I've taken a couple missteps, but the camera bag has always protected
...Show more

It's rare for me to even scratch a camera or lens. However, in 30 years I managed to crash my motorcycle (smashing my camera--I suffered only minor injuries), fell off a mountain trail (spilling camera from bag) and suffered a QR accident onto concrete. No accidents since the 90s so I'm on a roll...

Jan 23, 2012 at 05:52 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · lens hood for 50mm f/2.5 macro?

Here's what you need:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dabigadoma.html

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password