Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

KWeck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

Check this out.. Is it real? If so why would we not all want this?
Comments?
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/index.html

Kurt

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:21 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #2 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

Kurt,

I would be interested in it; seems pretty painless and straight-forward. That being said, I would also like it see it offered as a trial (one body/one lens) to test it against any current benchmark method that a photog currently uses (I use zonal plate charts in my lab).

It would aslo be great to see Canon gin-up something across these lines to be offered with future sales of bodies.

Edd

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

The problem with MA I had was, that a lens adjusted for oof in 50 cm distance did not work with the same value at infinity. And as far I know there is no way to MA different steps at different distances for one lens (am I wrong?). That is why I prefere to have a not fitting lense calibrated.

Anyway, I would love to see the results of that solution.

Ralph

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:10 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #4 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

Auto MA should have been built into the body at the introduction of MA. It should have also allowed the proper generation of a calibration curve, not a single point - just my opinion.

But I guess if they did that, they couldn't trickle out "MA at two positions" this year, then "MA at three positions" a few years later, and then, maybe a few years after that, "auto MA".

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

That would be "auto calibration" for ANY lens! It would make possible a huge saving for them for any new lens that is calibrated for free (us) but charged from CPS (to them).
I think, that is not that easy. Else they would have done, I guess. But maybe you are right and they are following a real long term master plan.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:09 PM
jwp721
• •
p.1 #6 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

KWeck wrote:
Check this out.. Is it real? If so why would we not all want this?
Comments?
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/index.html

Kurt

Yes it is real. I have been watching the progress of this program for some time now.

I will end up buying one version or another I am sure. Factors that I see with the program include: a set up that is a little more involved than just shooting a focus chart at 45 degrees or a row of staggered batteries, your camera must be tied to a computer to conduct the test, even now some users are still getting mixed results so the program is not 100% all the time, and finally there are other free ways to conduct MFA.

I am impressed with how quick this went from an idea to finished product. Power of the web is amazing sometimes. All in all I think it is a program worth trying.

John

Edited on Jan 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kafn8td

p.1 #7 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

I was a beta tester and have the pro version now. It is very easy to use and repeatable. I have done my zooms at several different focal lengths and have two that are consistent throughout the zoom range. My 24 -105 was a couple of numbers different from one end to the other, so I split the difference. In real world use I can't see a difference from a +3 to a +5.

Setup is simple and it is far easier and easier than using my lens align. I was a proponent of the lens align until I got this.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

I have been using the Pro version. I prefer it to my "Lens align". Warning ... Its a eye opener as to the AF consistency of some Canon lenses. You can also see the MA changes with distance from the target.

Here is a photo of my laptop screen showing the generated bell curve of AFMA versus sharpness. It runs from -20 on the left to +20 on the right. Its very easy to see where the proper MA adjustment is (-8). Not all lenses have a nice curve like this one, and the ideal AFMA usually varies as you zoom.

Jan 23, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Dion Mellow

p.1 #9 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

I now have to wait for the 1dmk3 version, it looks very nice and easy

Jan 23, 2012 at 02:02 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

And it wants the serial number of my bodies? Hell, no. This reminds me of the very first release of DxO where you had to buy every single lens individually.

Jan 23, 2012 at 02:08 AM
stempsons
• •
p.1 #11 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

great software, used it for the 1dsiii and 10 lenses. very happy with the results thus far.

Jan 23, 2012 at 02:15 AM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #12 · Auto Micro Adjusting???

I have the Pro version and I too initially had some concerns about the serial numbers of the camera being tied to the licensing. However, Reikan allows up to 5 serial numbers per license and as long as you maintain one active serial number you can install the software on multiple computers as well as use the fully manual mode for other bodies. It seems more than fair to me in the end.

Jan 23, 2012 at 02:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password